Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Joys of [Semi] Retirement

So,

Since being made redundant last year (from Capita no less), after a brief spell as a contractor, I've decided that semi-retirement is the way forward.

Obviously, I've tried to get work but, at 60, the market seems determined to hire those who are younger and better qualified however, it's given me the time to complete my first book submission (just waiting for it to be published now) and to form my own local business, Rocksquad Computers, designed to help local people and businesses in a more ethically focussed way. The problem with the home PC support business is that so many people out there seem determined to rip their customers off ... my mother got someone in when she wasn't able to get help from me and the guy left her worse off than when he arrived and charged her 60 for the privilege, others tell me the same thing.

So, I decided to create Rocksquad (RSQ) Computers with a Facebook presence, advertising online and by flyers through people's doors. My basic idea is reasonable fees (none if there's no fix), a discussion forum online, a Facebook page and a series of free local PC clinics. It hasn't cost much to set up, mostly just time and effort, and financially I look at it as "beer money" (not literally, money to buy a few extra things) and as much as providing a service via the clinics, discussion forum and "howto's" on my website.

So yeah, that's it really. As usual, any advice appreciated

Some of you were, kindly, interested in my book so I'll definitely post a note when that gets published in case anyone's interested.

Keke (JC Rocks)
    J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
    The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Having got stuck occasionally with B2P customers, I would say this is being very courageous. B2(small)B is bad enough, where it is assumed that, having once touched (or even glared at) a computer, you are then responsible for providing endless free support, but I have found personal customers far worse - I have honestly had calls along the lines of "you remember the computer you worked on a couple of years ago... well, I have got a new one and it's now broken".

Point taken about some customers being left with outstanding problems, but I would say 50 per hour (plus VAT) is a very fair rate - check out local plumbers and electricians for a comparison, or the callout charge to get your washing machine looked at.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      Having got stuck occasionally with B2P customers, I would say this is being very courageous. B2(small)B is bad enough, where it is assumed that, having once touched (or even glared at) a computer, you are then responsible for providing endless free support, but I have found personal customers far worse - I have honestly had calls along the lines of "you remember the computer you worked on a couple of years ago... well, I have got a new one and it's now broken".
      LOL, yes ... I've had that too. Fortunately I don't do much of it yet so I often do remember but I accept that if this takes off that will be somewhat less likely.

Point taken about some customers being left with outstanding problems, but I would say 50 per hour (plus VAT) is a very fair rate - check out local plumbers and electricians for a comparison, or the callout charge to get your washing machine looked at.
      Blimey that's high! Maximum I ever got paid was 35/hour (as a contractor) ... I was thinking more like 15 which I know is low but people often can't afford much and if you go too high it's probably easier to just buy a new computer. I'll have to think about that one.

Keke

Comment

You may have been getting 35, but I'll bet you were charged out at higher (probably double that). 15 per hour is (IMHO) seriously underselling yourself - as I said, ask a couple of tradespeople their rates and ask if you are doing a less skilled job
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by [URL="https://www.petri.com/forums/member/39129-kyuuketsuki"
          Kyuuketsuki[/URL]]Since being made redundant last year (from Capita no less), after a brief spell as a contractor, I've decided that semi-retirement is the way forward.
          Trust me, it gets old REAL quick and you get bored shitless. Keeping skill levels up doesn't happen because there is no reason to. You have to have something to apply them to. You might try getting work as a tech in the schools in your area to give you some sort of income.

Good luck with your options.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

You may have been getting 35, but I'll bet you were charged out at higher (probably double that). 15 per hour is (IMHO) seriously underselling yourself - as I said, ask a couple of tradespeople their rates and ask if you are doing a less skilled job
            Thanks, I'll give it some thought but I am primarily dealing with a home market. Yeah, maybe I could charge more, but I'm still feeling my way through this stuff. It was only 35/hour, I was a direct hire, not working for an agency

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
            Trust me, it gets old REAL quick and you get bored shitless. Keeping skill levels up doesn't happen because there is no reason to. You have to have something to apply them to. You might try getting work as a tech in the schools in your area to give you some sort of income.
            Well yes, however I have interests primarily my writing. I am also doing most of the chores around the house since my wife is still working plus we have a major DIY project coming up.

Yes, I am looking at the education sector (though more at Uni level) but I'm wary of putting some of those other things on the backburner so realistically I am looking at part time or short contract work.

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
            Good luck with your options.
            Thanks

Keke

Comment

A bit belated to this thread.. but I hope this is all going well for you. Some things to consider, if you haven't already:
              To figure out how much to actually charge, you need to work out what you want to pay yourself
              Then realise you won't ever bill at 100% capacity, so if you want to make, say, 500 a week, or 100 a day in your pocket, on the basis of let's say 4 hours work, you need to bill 25/hr.
              But then on top of that is all your adminisrative costs.. doing the books, paying accountants, keeping up with your tax obligations etc. In honesty, I'd say close to 40% of my workload isn't actual billable tech work

Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
              X