Personal online backup recommendations for the UK

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personal online backup recommendations for the UK

Anyone have any suggestions for reliable and sensible online backup solutions available to the UK consumer market? Last one I tried only accepted files and not folders via their uploading software, which defeats the object of the exercise.

I have about 2TB to backup, don't need to share it between computers and am happy with a reasonable monthly cost.

Thanks.
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

What bandwidth do you have (upstream and downstream)
    What RPO and RTOs have you set yourself?
    How much data is changing?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I use Iperius Backup and it has an option to backup to the Cloud. The program ZIPs the folders and files before shunting them off to the nether regions. The link is for the Compare the different versions page. I use the Essential version because it is backing up Server 2012 R2 and this cost 69. There is a trial version so you can have a play but it is only for 21 days.

DISCLAIMER: I am not affiliated with this product and only mention it as a possible solution to the OPs issue especially if they are happy with their present Cloud slurper, present backup method excepted. This software is quite cheap and extremely versatile IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
        What bandwidth do you have (upstream and downstream)
        What RPO and RTOs have you set yourself?
        How much data is changing?
        Thanks for responding.

I have a fibre connection which gives me 30Mbps download and 9Mbps upload.
        RTO and RPO is not an issue. So long as I can retrieve my data and put it back onto a PC I am not concerned with the amount of time it takes.
        The data itself rarely changes - log files, music library files will change but these are a tiny percentage of what will be backed up. The bulk of the material will be music, videos and images, and these will continue to accumulate.

Thanks also for the suggestion for the Iperius solution. It looks good but you need to have the online space ready to receive the data.

One that is appealing is Carbonite - it can backup and preserve folder structures, there is no limit the amount of data you can backup, and the prime version includes a mirror image of the OS and courier service of the same if required and works out at just over $12 a month. I'm presently awaiting clarification from Carbonite support of the courier service available to their UK customers.

https://www.carbonite.com/en/cloud-backup/personal/buy/

Anyone used Carbonite?
        A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Working...
        X