working on call

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• working on call

I didnt know where to post this question as i didnt see a dedicated forum for work related subjects.

In a few months time i will be performing oncall duties on a rotation system for the very first time in my IT career. What are the forum members experience with oncall? Is it possible to fit around your IT studies around oncall?
    Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder

Re: working on call

Depends on what the on call duties entail, how many emergency oncall situations you encounter, and how intense your "studies" are.

Comment

Concur!
      How do you study -- if it is formal lectures etc, very difficult as you will have to be able to drop everything when your phone goes off
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

the studies are are for the MCSE XP/2k3

Comment

Right, but HOW are you studying? In a classroom, online, a book, self-study, etc?

Also, what type of "on call" is it? 2 jobs ago I was in an on call rotation for 1 day / week (eventually went to 1 full week / month). MAYBE one or 2 calls would come in a day, usually none, and it was usually pretty easy stuff, 99% of which was pushed back to the next day. Currently on call 24/7 with my new job, and nothing's happened yet in the 2 months I've been here

Just get used to waking up when the phone goes off lol! Ultimately depending on the environment and your studies, it's easily doable.
          ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

sorry wired i didnt elaborate, im using the self study approach virtal labs + ms press

Comment

You'll be able to fit that in when your on-call.

I'm on 24/7 on call for this job and i think i've had 6 phone calls in 5 years. None that couldn't wait till the next day and most when i was drunk

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
                You'll be able to fit that in when your on-call.

I'm on 24/7 on call for this job and i think i've had 6 phone calls in 5 years. None that couldn't wait till the next day and most when i was drunk
                Well now you've just jinxed yourself. D'oh!

Comment

Hopefully your pager\phone isn't blowing up while you're on call. If it's not then continue your normal study\life schedule. If you get paged then go deal with the problem and come back to your previous activities when you can.

I used to worry about being on call when I was very early in my IT career. As my experience and confidence has grown I've taken the approach that I'm going to live my life as normally as possible and deal with the on call events as they occur. The only real concession I make is to make sure I have a computer close at hand and am within reasonable driving distance of the data center.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
                    Yep probably lol.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
                      Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
                      Yep probably lol.
                      Originally posted by Wired View Post
                      Currently on call 24/7 with my new job, and nothing's happened yet in the 2 months I've been here

Looks like I got jinxed! Went to bed late Fri night. Got emails starting early Sat morning from the staff members that were in. Power fluctuation to the building the night before set off the alarms in the server room (HUMONGOUS power backups / distribution system). Went in, turned them off, confirmed building wasn't on generator juice and that we were good to go. Got home, trying to go back to sleep. Emails start coming in about the whole phone system went down. As I was going in my boss was restarting the system remotely. By the time I got in, all I had to do was check to make sure the servers came back up ok (first time restarting the system remotely, and it's a bit complicated) and that the phones were back up for the Saturday crew. Needless to say I didn't get back to sleep.

Later I had to deal with a water leak (outside thankfully), but that wasn't work related, just a baaad Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by Wired View Post
                        Looks like I got jinxed! Went to bed late Fri night. Got emails starting early Sat morning from the staff members that were in. Power fluctuation to the building the night before set off the alarms in the server room (HUMONGOUS power backups / distribution system). Went in, turned them off, confirmed building wasn't on generator juice and that we were good to go. Got home, trying to go back to sleep. Emails start coming in about the whole phone system went down. As I was going in my boss was restarting the system remotely. By the time I got in, all I had to do was check to make sure the servers came back up ok (first time restarting the system remotely, and it's a bit complicated) and that the phones were back up for the Saturday crew. Needless to say I didn't get back to sleep.

Later I had to deal with a water leak (outside thankfully), but that wasn't work related, just a baaad Saturday.
                        Nothing happened on my end

Comment

Working...
                        X