No announcement yet.

Mouse wheel

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mouse wheel

I was working with someone who has been using computers for many years. I noticed that when scrolling through folder lists they were clicking the up/down arrow repeatedly. I said they could click the space above or below the scroll bar to view a 'page' at a time if they needed to see all the contents, or that they could use the mouse wheel. This was a revelation - they had never thought to use a mouse wheel before. They are now very happy

I've come across 'veteran' users who did not know about ctrl+c etc, but not this.
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

And then you have people like me, who will read a hard copy book, and try to scroll to turn the page....
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

Yesterday I asked someone to type shift+key. They did not know where the shift key was. I asked them how they typed capital letters and they replied that they pressed Caps Lock, typed the letter, then pressed Caps Lock again. I told them they could simply type Shift+key - it was a revelation for them

I know a lot of "experienced" legal secretaries who don't use shift - I always cringe when they CAPS LOCK, press a key and CAPS LOCK again, but I've given up on correcting them.

Separately, I have found myself working from a tablet and a regular laptop, and repeatedly swiping the laptop screen to scroll, even to the extent of picking up the Surface stylus and trying to use that on the laptop
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Haha - I can understand how that can happen. I often have a laptop on my desk with my desktop PC and pick up the mouse and wonder why the cursor is not moving on the laptop...

I'm currently confusing myself by having just purchased a Surface Book and an Arc Touch mouse to go with it. No scroll wheel, a touch sensitive pad that makes wheel sounds. Still does middle click though, which I use all the time when browsing.

I've seen IT Pros using CTRL-ALT-DEL to lock their machines rather than using Win+L quite a lot too.
            BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
            Cruachan's Blog