Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows 10/Microsoft, WTF are you doing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10/Microsoft, WTF are you doing?

Downloaded the second last Win10 Preview, Build 10162 to my Server on 8th July 2015.
    Copied the ISO to my laptop on the 9th July.
    Used Windows 7 DVD Download Tool to put the files onto a 4GB Flash Drive on the 10th July.

I decided to try a new defrag program today, UltraDefrag v6.1.0 and tried it out on the C partition. I keep all my files on the D partition so I don't look at the C partition very often. Now imagine my surprise when I found a folder called $Windows.~BT and it had the Hidden attribute set on the root folder. Curiosity peaked so I right clicked and left on the Properties to see when the folder was created and the size. The ISO was 3.85GB and when the folder size kept growing to 4.7GB, I disconnect the wireless NIC as I thought it was connecting to the MS Mothership and downloading files that I didn't want. Well it wasn't but it had been downloading ( HOW??? ) on 3 different dates since 10th July; 2.7GB worth of downloads in the Sources folder alone. Another 436MB into the Drivers folder and 504MB into the Updates folder.

Now understand that this is NOT an installed package. It is the files just as you would see them if you opened the ISO or looked at a physical DVD. I did NOT copy the files to the C partition and did not agree to anything that told me that the files were being copied to the C partition.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Win10-preview-0.png
Views:	1
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	492646 Click image for larger version

Name:	Win10-preview-1.png
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	492647 Click image for larger version

Name:	Win10-preview-2.png
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	492648 Click image for larger version

Name:	Win10-preview-3.png
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	492649 Click image for larger version

Name:	Win10-preview-4.png
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	492650

The first attached image shows the original ISO date created on my Server and the Modified date when it was copied to my laptop but the dates are round the wrong way. I no longer have the original file that was on the Server. It's a bit of a moot point due to the next image.

The second image shows the date the $Windows.~BT folder was created on the C partition, the Hidden attribute applied and the folder/file numbers plus the total size.

Third image is the Sources folder, date created and the size.

Forth image are the folders under the $Windows.~BT folder and the dates they were created.

Fifth image the Drivers folder date created and size. NOTE that the date is NOT 10th July like the root folder!

Sixth image shows the different dates when downloads occurred into the Sources folder. I didn't include todays file downloaded dated, 29th August 2015. One thing that I just noticed in image 6 is the times for 10th July files. The root folder was created at 11:39:12PM on 10th July. The timestamp on the other 10 July files is BEFORE the root folder was created. What bloody gives?

Got to do more digging after headache resides a little.

1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

This image shows the different dates when downloads occurred into the Sources folder. I didn't include todays file downloaded dated, 29th August 2015. One thing that I just noticed in image 6 is the times for 10th July files. The root folder was created at 11:39:12PM on 10th July. The timestamp on the other 10 July files is BEFORE the root folder was created. What bloody gives?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Win10-preview-5.png
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	492652

Got to do more digging after headache resides a little.
    Last edited by biggles77; 29th August 2015, 10:12.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I'm not sure I follow. I don't see where files were created before the root folder. I do see modified times but not created....
      Regards,
      Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
      www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
        I'm not sure I follow. I don't see where files were created before the root folder. I do see modified times but not created....
        Second image, $Windows~BT was created Friday 10 July 2015, 11:39:12PM.
        Above image in Post #2, yellow highlighted Date Modified column, bottom file (not highlighted), 10/07/2015 3:01PM
        The Sources folder that the Date Modified files are in was also created Friday 10 July 2015, 11:39:12PM.

How can a file be modified BEFORE the folder was created.

Can you see what I mean now? Sorry but this headache it making harder to be comprehensible than normal. I'm waiting to see if the damn thing Updates and files again. It is the Installation files and as such should not be active since it hasn't been installed. What is causing it, $Windows~BT, to Update itself?

Knew I was missing something. The following image is the ISO from Build 10162. Note the original Folders. Obviously the Date-stamps are different to mine because that id the MS build date. They will have changed when they were "extracted" and put on the USB Flash Drive which was, Friday 10 July 2015, 11:39:12PM.

Please tell me if the last bit makes sense. Ta.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hmm, interesting. I know they get updated independently so it is possible I think (and I'm pretty sure I've see that before)...
          Regards,
          Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Just did a test with creating a text doc, zipping it and then extracting it.Click image for larger version

Name:	test.png
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	492702
            Notice the test1.txt has a created time of when I extracted it but a modified time of when I originally created the file before zipping it.
            Regards,
            Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Now I've got this bloody $Window.~BT folder and files on the D partition of the same physical HDD as in the above post. Microsoft has invaded my machine without my permission and dumped software on it that I do NOT want. Time to wipe the HDD and remove and trace of Microsoft invadeware. I am lucky I am not on a set download limit plan.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Windows 8 and newer allow you to mark networks as metered and it will not download updates over them.
                Regards,
                Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Yes, I realise this about the Metered Network. I want to know WHY it is doing what it is doing, as in, why were the install files and folders copied to may C & D partition on my HDD? How were the install files able to pull the Updates when the O/S was not installed. (I am running Windows 7 on this device)

I have removed the files from the D partition but can't remove them all from the C partition. Seems like I need the Administrators permission. Funny that. Hell, I even took Ownership and I still need the Administrators permission. Effective Permissions has every box ticked. Going to have to try something stronger to get this crap off my HDD. Being how I trust Microsoft and all, I am replacing the HDD!!
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Windows 10 is set to download updates automatically unless you tell it not too.

You should also be able to clean the ~BT folder using Disk Cleanup.

Comment

This is a Windows 7 installed laptop. The Windows 10 ISO was used to put the Windows 10 install files onto a bootable Windows 10 USB stick. That resulted in the ~BT folder being copied to the C and D Partitions of my laptop HDD. This is what I find troubling. I did NOT copy the install files to my laptop HDD. This is something that was done when I created the Windows 10 bootable USB stick. Subsequently I had 2.7GB of Windows 10 Updates copied to the ~BT folder. This was something I did not initiate so it had to come from something in the Windows 10 install files.

Disk Cleanup would not work on the remaining 1.51GB of the Windows 10 install files.
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I wonder if the 'staging' of these files was not addressed as part of the clean-up after the bootable USB drive was created. I know it's a PITA, but looking on the bright side at least they were not buried in some obscurely named folder 10 levels deep off AppData or such like.
                        A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Originally posted by Blood View Post
                          I wonder if the 'staging' of these files was not addressed as part of the clean-up after the bootable USB drive was created. I know it's a PITA, but looking on the bright side at least they were not buried in some obscurely named folder 10 levels deep off AppData or such like.
                          Ah, but the folder attribute was set to HIDDEN! If I hadn't set my drives to show System and Hidden files and folder I would NOT have seen it.

If this was a "staging" incident, why were these files and folder on BOTH the C and D partitions of the single HDD? If it was a cleanup failure then they would have only been on the one partition. It should also not have made one of the folder trees undeletable by normal means. Either Microsoft is doing something sneaky or they have once again delivered shit code. I have created 3, maybe 4 Windows 10 USB boot sticks for installing the Preview versions of Windows 10 on a spare laptop. The last version was the first one that left the install files on my HDD. It's gotta make you think about it.

Since I am going to trash this drive I might have to create a new Win10 boot stick and see if I can replicate the "problem". Now that will be interesting if I can.
                          1 1 was a racehorse.
                          2 2 was 1 2.
                          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Ah - yes, having them on both drives is perplexing. It will be interesting if you can replicate it
                            A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Shouldn't make any difference, but there is a dedicated media creation tool for Windows 10, although the Windows 7 USB tool works with pretty much everything.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...n-tool-install
                              BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                              sigpic
                              Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X