Windows 95 and 20 Years Ago

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 95 and 20 Years Ago

Just read this article about Windows 95 and the hardware that was available then. Is interesting!
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Ah yes... WIn95 would run on a 386 with 4Mb RAM.... As long as you didn't want ANYTHING else to run.....
    I still have a full set of floppies for Win95 (and probably for 3.11 too)

Anyone remember the defragger where if you moved the mouse, it would go right back to the beginning and start again
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I do remember the defragger, and also running CHKDSK from the command line and getting the message about how much better Scandisk was before it was dumped in favour of CHKDSK again!

I bought a Win95 PC just before I went to Uni and remember paying something like 40 extra to upgrade from a 4X to an 8X CDROM drive, and later paying about 100 to get a Voodoo2 3DFX card with a whole 8mb of onboard RAM.
      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
      sigpic
      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

I think I still have my 3.11 for workgroups disk lying about somewhere.

I hated that bloody defragger.

format c: /s

Comment

Then: 486DX (about 50MHz IIRC), 8Mb RAM, 640 x 480 VGA on a CRT, weighed about 25Kg all in
          Now: i5 (2.5GHz), 8Gb RAM, 2160x1440 on a TFT, weighs < 1Kg (Surface Pro 3)

I wonder what 20 years more will bring?
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I believe on the 386 it would take 25 to 30 minutes to boot. I had it on a 486-SX25 with 4MB RAM and it lasted 5 days. When I was given a DX4, change the 25MHz crystal to 33MHz and got 8MB RAM, Win 95 was reinstalled. It then run alright except I had a multi-boot config so I could play Red Alert, Wing Commander, damn, forgotten what other games I used to run. Will have to find the multi-boot file I have put away somewhere.

Never came across the defragging issue but that bloody Scandisk popup was annoying. If I wanted to used it I would bloody well have typed it!!!

Yes, the next 20 years, even 10 will be very interesting. 'Tis a big change from the slide rules we used at school (and you tell the young people today and they won't believe ya) until today.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

TBH I remember the defragger being much worse in Windows 98, to the point you had to kill pretty much every process in task manager to get it to run.

I still have a Windows 98 PC for some games that won't run on anything else, Carmageddon, X-Wing, Duke Nukem 3D and Megarace are just a few of the ones that needed a DOS startup disk to work.
              BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
              sigpic
              Cruachan's Blog

Comment

I've kept one machine for each OS we've used in case we need to retrieve any data - Win3.1, 95, 2k, XP! (Did not keep a CPM machine - that was before I took charge of IT. There have been many times when I wish we had!)

Scandisk in '95 was a PITA. Had to run it in Safe Mode otherwise it would never finish

Anyone want the floppy's for W10?
                A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Originally posted by Blood
                  I've kept one machine for each OS we've used in case we need to retrieve any data - Win3.1, 95, 2k, XP!
                  Physical or VMs? Win3.1x runs real quick in a VM.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Haha - Physical The Win3.1 has a 5 1/4 floppy drive. The first time I used it after it had been in storage for xxx years I put a disk in but it could not be read. Tried several times from Win and MS-DOS. I found out why when I ejected the disk and a cloud of thick dust came out with it. Opened the case and, no kidding, there was a carpet of dust over everything - could not even see the hardware

Comment

Why not virtualise them so you can ditch the hardware? Install XPMode on a Win7 machine, rather, run XPMode on a Win7 machine then install VPC2007. You will then have USB support on the VM. Create images of the floppies if necessary so you can mount them in the VM. I have a shareware tool that will convert 5.25" floppies to 3.5" ones. You can then run the on the VM by using a 3.5" USB FDD. Reminds me, must install Tristan Pinball on the DOS VM. Tristan didn't like XP and above. Good game.
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

That's not a bad idea. I will keep it in mind for the near future. My next project is installing Linux Trusty server on our old 2003 server. I've never even sniffed Linux before so I suspect it will take up a fair bit of my time to start with. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                        X