What do you carry "just in case?"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you carry "just in case?"

Dunno if this belongs in misc or not but I have a feeling it'll go off topic, so it's in lounge.

Seeing as I support multiple other companies I spend a lot of time on the road and frequently have things to deal with that weren't mentioned when I got the original call. Don't know if I'm paranoid, geeky or watched too much MacGyver as a child (all three probably) but I just got a new laptop bag and this is what I had to transfer from the old one:-
    • Network Cable
    • 5-in-1 admin cable
    • Leatherman
    • USB to serial adapter
    • Duct Tape (Obviously)
    • Bootable Media (USB, floppy and CD)
    • Windows XP CD
    • Mini USB Cable (mainly for charging my phone)
    • Various standard and torx screwdrivers (Why do HP have to be different?)
    • Wire Cutters
    • Cable Ties
    • Torch
    • RJ45 Crimper and Plugs
    • 110 Punchdown
    • Torch
    • Server Keys (Driving 50 miles to a locked server is not my idea of fun)
    • Tweezers and iPod opening tools
    • Anti-Static strap
    • Paperclips (AKA CDROM opening tools!)

plus there's a box of spare power, network and patch cables in the back of the car. No wonder my fuel bills are so high.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Re: What do you carry "just in case?"

Are we talking "just in case" as in day to day, or "just in case" when we go to a job?

Forms of ID, enough business cards to bury Slough 2 inches deep (that'd be good for a laugh), the whole of TechNet on a USB hard drive, blank CDs and DVDs, USB key with nLite and vLite on it among other tools. I (can) do PAT testing, so sundries to accompany the tester such as spare plugs, power cables, fuses etc. Copies of qualifications such as my forklift driver cert.

CABLE TIES

Fire steel and a couple of lighters, and a soldering torch that runs off a standard lighter. Soldering iron and solder. PPE such as hiviz, goggles, earplugs/muffs - I'm probably already wearing safety boots while on a job anyway. Cordless drill and bits.

Handful of DVDs for background noise if it's going to be a long job and mobile broadband dongle for t'radio.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

This is a good thread.

In addition to what you guys carry (and I don't take all of the stuff you do, so thanks for the tips) I carry the following;

• As many operating systems and service packs as I can carry
      • All versions of MS Office
      • HP PSPs and firmwares
      • 16 port Gigabit switch
      • Basic Netgear DG834 router
      • ADSL Microfilters
      • HP Blade management cables (nothing worse than killing a blade at 10pm with no way of easily attaching something to recover it!)
      • Mobile phone charger (necessity for those loooong Microsoft calls)
      • Power cables (standard, mickey mouse, figure8 )
      • A couple of UPS cables M-F
      • Network cables of varying lengths (ensure you have a super "fit all" long one)
      • Crossover cable
      • Cisco Console cable.

Oh, and a weak lemon drink (for all you Simon Quinlank fans)

Ste
      Last edited by Ste; 27th July 2010, 09:49.
      Steven Roberts
      IT Mercenary

MCITP:EA|MCTS|MCSE 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCSA 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCP|Prince2 Practitioner

Don't forget to click on the Yin-Yang icon to leave reputation points if you think my advice has been worthwhile!

Comment

Is that what you carry on a day to day basis?
        Marcel
        Technical Consultant
        Netherlands
        http://www.phetios.com
        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Well, I always find that (as per Murphy's Law Section 7 Subsection C Para 1 Sub Para iv) that, whatever I plan as essential, there will always be ONE item that I
          a) Do not have
          b) Vitally need
          c) Cannot get easily without at least a 2 hour delay

Of course (c) often translates into chargeable time so "am I bovvered?"
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I do, I have a box in my boot with all that kit in, as well as a safety kit with boots and hardhat.

When you travel around you never know what you may need from job to job.

It sounds like a lot but it doesn't take up much space in the boot, and a lot of it is in my laptop bag
            Steven Roberts
            IT Mercenary

MCITP:EA|MCTS|MCSE 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCSA 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCP|Prince2 Practitioner

Don't forget to click on the Yin-Yang icon to leave reputation points if you think my advice has been worthwhile!

Comment

Pair of walkie talkie radios with charger.
              Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
                Is that what you carry on a day to day basis?
                Yep. If I know I've got hardware work to do I've got a much bigger toolkit, with cable testers, multimeters and the like. That's just the ordinary everyday collection.

Forgot I also carry a phone headset, again for those looooong Microsoft support calls.

That's not including the contents of my pockets, which include wallet, keys, money, phone, business cards etc.
                sigpic
                Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Toolkit goes without saying. Multimeters, cable testers, assorted screwdrivers, crimpers etc.

Hammer

Insulating tape, gaffa tape, self amalgamating tape.

Bigger hammer

USB floppy drive and a handful of disks - you never know what age of equipment you may need to look at.

Ubuntu live CDs for assorted architectures.

Stanley knife, box cutter (basically a razor blade in a handle) and spare blades.

Permanant and whiteboard markers in various colours.
                  Last edited by gforceindustries; 27th July 2010, 15:05.
                  Gareth Howells

Comment

I just carry a basic kit day-to-day. One of the Belkin 12-piece kits that I was issued with on my first day as a network technician for the University. It's now bulging with the addition of flush cutters, LED torch, wire stripper/punchdown, antistatic wristband, double ended screwdriver (perfect for cage nutting and screwing things in to racks), precision screwdrivers, server keys and laptop pry tools. I've got a mini cable tester on the way.

Things like soldering irons, multimeters or PSU testers etc are not things I often require so aren't in the day-to-day kit. I use the Leatherman constantly for the knives, pliers and screwdrivers and also have a bit kit for it.

Stopped carrying a hammer. The temptation to use it on stupid users who always require information to be manually inserted would be too high.
                    sigpic
                    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
                      LED torch
                      Wind-up torch. The one I have is more than bright enough and means no more running out of batteries.

Telescopic grabber/magnetic pickup tool and telescopic inspection mirror come in handy.

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
                      Stopped carrying a hammer. The temptation to use it on stupid users who always require information to be manually inserted would be too high.
                      But you still carry a bigger hammer for management, right?
                      Gareth Howells

Comment

That's quite a lot then what you guys bring with you.
                        I'll do it with my laptop, my portable hard disk my portable laptop stand, portable keyboard and mouse and of course my power supply.
                        Also some blue cisco cables, an (serial) adapter for this cable to use it on Nokia systems, a couple of pens and some paper.
                        Oh and of course my old but steady Nokia cellphone and my business cards..

That's it I think.... My bag is a bit messy so... I might forgot something
                        Marcel
                        Technical Consultant
                        Netherlands
                        http://www.phetios.com
                        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
                          But you still carry a bigger hammer for management, right?
                          <bofh>Cattleprod or a poorly lit stairwell for them and their kind</bofh>
                          sigpic
                          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Re: What do you carry &quot;just in case?&quot;

Only if the air conditioner is computer controlled so I can create condensation on the floor from my desk.
                            Gareth Howells

Comment

Re: What do you carry &quot;just in case?&quot;

Great topic, you know when you're at a forum with people doing the same job, when you see a topic like this and recognize everything

The luggage boot of my car is also stuffed.
                              - flightcase with different screwdrivers, knife, RJ45 crimper and plugs, rack mount plugs, cable ties, ...
                              - Network tester
                              - Various set of network cables
                              - Standard power cords
                              - Harddisk (sata/ide) recovery over usb - kit
                              - CD case with all sort of images, bootable media (different Windows server editions & client OS, IBM serverguides, dos boot disk, ...)
                              - 8ports gigabit switch
                              - PS/2 to usb converter
                              - Cisco console cable
                              - LAN to USB adapter

Server keys (+ rack keys) and paper clips are other good tips I read about overhere

Comment

Working...
                              X