• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lies, Damned Lies and the “Gone Google” Calculator

This one is a good one.

Lies, Damned Lies and the “Gone Google” Calculator:
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/whymicros...alculator.aspx

How more pathetic can the guys in Google be? Really. How do they expect ANYONE to believe their crap?

Gone Google:
    http://www.gonegoogle.com
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Re: Lies, Damned Lies and the “Gone Google” Calculator

Originally posted by Gmail license Agreement
    11. Content license from you
    11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services.
    11.2 You agree that this license includes a right for Google to make such Content available to other companies, organizations or individuals with whom Google has relationships for the provision of syndicated services, and to use such Content in connection with the provision of those services.
    11.3 You understand that Google, in performing the required technical steps to provide the Services to our users, may (a) transmit or distribute your Content over various public networks and in various media; and (b) make such changes to your Content as are necessary to conform and adapt that Content to the technical requirements of connecting networks, devices, services or media. You agree that this license shall permit Google to take these actions.
    11.4 You confirm and warrant to Google that you have all the rights, power and authority necessary to grant the above license.
    After reading the above T&C I shall never recommend Google Apps to anyone.
    I believe these conditions are (allegedly) criminal.

Do no evil: pigs arse!!
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post

After reading the above T&C I shall never recommend Google Apps to anyone.
      I believe these conditions are (allegedly) criminal.

Do no evil: pigs arse!!
      I've been seriously trying to move away from using Google as a search engine, given their policies on advertising and data retention. Sadly none of the alternatives are nearly as good. Bing is patchy, Altavista is a pale shadow of it's former pre-Google glory and Yahoo is and always has been rubbish IMO.

Googles Don't Be Evil motto seems to me about as hypocritical as Steve Jobs lecturing Microsoft on Open Standards.
      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
      sigpic
      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

I remember my boss calling me into his office at one point and asking me how long I spent per week administering the Exchange server. I told him that other than changing backup tapes, testing backups and installing updates (which we have to do with any server, so it's not specific to Exchange), maybe half an hour if there's a new member of staff starting, or 5 minutes if someone accidentally deletes an email.

He then turned his screen towards me and showed me Google's claim that Exchange requires approximately 30 hours of administration per week.

Now I accept that there are some systems out there so bug-ridden that all the IT staff do is put out fires, but I really don't think they count as the "average" installation. Do they?
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Why single out Google? I don't know a company in this industry that doesn't inflate everything in their marketing materials.

Comment

Of course. It's just they brontosaurussh!t where most other companies just bullsh!t. Same lies, just about 50 times bigger.
            Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by Garen View Post
              Why single out Google? I don't know a company in this industry that doesn't inflate everything in their marketing materials.
              I don't doubt that, but not every company has the motto "Don't be Evil" when some of their practices are extremely debatable. It was more the T&Cs than the fluff from the coloured pencil department that caught my eye.

I take your point though, it really bugs me when I see Microsoft written as M$ (Usually in Apple or Linux oriented sites) as if setting up a business to make money is some sort of crazy idea that'll never catch on.
              sigpic
              Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan
                ......... it really bugs me when I see Microsoft written as M$ (Usually in Apple or Linux oriented sites) ........
                The Mac weenies can't do the M$ anymore now that Apple is now worth more. Who is the price gouger now?
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                  The Mac weenies can't do the M$ anymore now that Apple is now worth more. Who is the price gouger now?
                  I saw a site recently that referred to Mac Weenies as Macolytes, which I thought was rather apt.
                  sigpic
                  Cruachan's Blog

Comment

"Fan-boi" seems to be the preferred epithet in many places, particularly The Register
                    Tom Jones
                    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Ahh, the beloved Vulture Central. Is there anyone they won't take down a peg or three? And where else can we get our daily dose of IT and Bulgarian Airbags on the same site
                      Gareth Howells

Comment

Now where's the Paris icon when you need it....
                        Tom Jones
                        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I assume we're talking rockets rather than still about airbags here?
                          Gareth Howells

Comment

Your choice!
                            Airbags on rockets sounds a very good option
                            Tom Jones
                            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                            IT Trainer / Consultant
                            Ossian Ltd
                            Scotland

Comment

Agreed, the real thing is much more fun.
                              Gareth Howells

Comment

Working...
                              X