'smart casual' ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'smart casual' ?

Ok - I'm doing 4 hours work on Thursday night, for a Desktop Rollout project. In my previous role, for work like this where I had a good working relationship with the client, it was not unreasonable for me to wear jeans and even a tshirt - it is dusty, dirty work after all.

However, I wasn't sure here - i've never met or dealt with any of these people, so it's important to impress them. I asked the recruiting agent, who told me "smart casual"

To my mind, that means slacks and a collared, button shirt (not a polo, there's very rarely an excuse for polos) and probably my normal work shoes (nice, neat, leather, no laces.)

Sound about right ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Re: 'smart casual' ?

Yeah that'll do. Since that type of work invariably means crawling around lots, don't wear shoes or trousers you don't mind getting worn out at the toes/knees.

Could always wear a toga...
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Concur -- decent trousers (with a crease), button up shirt (no tie) and decent shoes -- no trainers

And you will probably have to throw them away afterwards
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Mhm. Last weekend job I did was for a company that had never had cleaners in because the boss wouldn't pay for them. They never threw anything away either as the boss wouldn't pay for refuse collection. The fire escape was a cardboard graveyard, the server room a mass of polystyrene, and I wish I was kidding. The dust bunnies inside the computers and servers had evolved into some form of dust overlord that threatened to destroy the balance of nature.
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Khakis or Chino's with a short or long sleeve button shirt sounds about right to me. That's what I wear everyday even though my colleagues wear jeans and T-shirts. It's all about how I present myself to my clients and colleagues. Part of my job is to instill a sense of confidence, responsibility, and professionalism in those that I work for and with and the first step in doing that is in how I'm dressed to do the job.

Comment

And a curry stained ThinkGeek t-shirt with penis tie doesn't instill a sense of confidence in your clients?
            Gareth Howells

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
              And a curry stained ThinkGeek t-shirt with penis tie doesn't instill a sense of confidence in your clients?
              Not usually...

Comment

Picky buggers next they'll be complaining about you keeping your lunch warm on their servers' CPU coolers :mgreen:
                Gareth Howells

Comment

thanks guys
                  Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
                  X