How do you store yours?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you store yours?

The BBC has an article about data storage tests done that reveal that CD's and DVD's do not appear to be as reslient as we had hoped.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...ne/8711747.stm

All the data archive from our office is stored on CD's. I have several hundred (two copies, making >700 disks), and don't really relish the idea of duplicating these.

I wonder what the difference is between storing data on a CD/DVD or storing it on a SATA drive and putting the drive on the shelf.

How do you archive your data?
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Re: How do you store yours?

Have to say I have a lot of old CDs etc, unchecked
    However, given the falling price of drives, buying a cage and some large SATA drives is appealing more and more
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Blood View Post
      How do you archive your data?
      Archive? What is this "archive" thing you speak of?
      Wesley David
      LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
      -------------------------------
      Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
      Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
      Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
      Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

I would have thought that the offline Sata (or any enclosed storage media for that matter IDE, Flash etc) are by far the better option.
        They might not be as susceptible to physical or chemical agent damage( like marmalade, as I have disovered )
        Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

hehe - I'll make sure there is a good distance between the marmalade and the disks

@Nonapeptide: Archive? You know, preservation of data. Keeping a copy of data in a state that allows it to be reliably retrieved within x years. By trade I am primarily an archaeologisist. Archaeologists thrive on being able to archive data, or preserving it, for future generations. Such data is also required to not only be in a format that can be easily retrieved but also in a state that can easily understood. That's the whole of point of what archaeologists do - preservation by record. Creating a record that can be useful in the future. A record that allows anyone to reconstruct what has been recorded.

When I began archiving our data I had read that silver CD's could be trusted for up to 5 or 10 years max and that gold CD's would keep data in a reliable/readable state for up to 100 years (assuming that devices existed that could read them.)

In our office I have 1 Win 3.11 machine, and 1 Win98 machine. Both are kept in case we need to restore data as I have Windows Backup data from Win98 and we still occasionally use a hardware device that can only be reliably read with the Win 3.11 machine.

Seriously, though, I really think that apart from the risk of data format redundancy, hard drives are the way to go. As L4ndy says, this type of media is enclosed (protected) and as such a high capacity disk that is protected from the elements (and from nefarious preserves), is definitely the way forward.

Not so sure about flash drives. My only experience with flash drives is with the thumb drives. Although fast, I have serious concerns about their durability.

Comment

I'm guessing in the future we will have cool ESD and EMP canons so I wouldn't trust any magnetic or electronic based storage.

Comment

I remember seeing an image of a CD that was corroding away from the inside. It had actual holes in what appeared to be the recording layer but unfortunately I can't find it right now. It was one of the very early CDs that were advertised with people playing frisbee at the beach with them. They were going to last forever.........

This article seems to explain it rather well. http://itleaders.com.au/articles/dis...dud-discs.html

This link does have rotting CDs but not the ones I wanted. http://www.cacaorock.com/2009/03/cd-...happening.html

As to the topic, I store my CDs & DVDs in a Disc Drawer. A bit like this but without the locks. Hold 960 discs in a dark space.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cd-drawer.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	464486
              Last edited by biggles77; 10th June 2010, 03:00.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

If they're stored in the dark that will likely double their lifespan. Pesky sun. This is why geeks hide from it in the server room, only emerging at night to feed on the souls of lusers.
                Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Thanks for the links, biggles77. That was quite interesting.

I've been talking to my manager about this, and he agrees that copying our data to a couple of HDD's is worth further investigation.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
                    If they're stored in the dark that will likely double their lifespan. Pesky sun. This is why geeks hide from it in the server room, only emerging at night to feed on the souls of lusers.
                    Clearly you've spent all your time away from the forums reading the BOFH archives.
                    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                    sigpic
                    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Just as you verify and test backups, so I too have to make sure my mirror is in good order, in case the NTK site goes down again
                      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
                      X