X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RSS feed

Hi Guy,

In a previous thread you said:

I am still working on finding a solution for having RSS feed for recent POSTS. The current RSS engine only provides recent THREADS.
    Hope to find a decent solution for it pretty soon.
    I thought I'd ask how things are going, since I rely on RSS to keep track of this forum... thanks!

Re: RSS feed

Nothing out of the box out there. When I get a bit of spare time I'll try to tweak the existing engine to spit out the latest posts.
    Guy Teverovsky
    "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

ok... after a quick course in PHP I have come up with the following:
      http://forums.petri.com/rss2.php

You can pass 2 parameters to the URL:

type - one of RSS/RSS1/RSS2
      count - the number of latest posts you want to fetch

Example:
      http://forums.petri.com/rss2.php?type=RSS2&count=25

I have tested this on couple of RSS readers and checked with Feed Validator and there are couple minor warnings having to do with HTML parsing in the feed titles, which I will try to fix later, but this seems to work.

If no problems with the feeds are encountered, I'll add the URL to the forums headers and top menu.

As always, any feedback is welcome.
      Guy Teverovsky

Comment

> As always, any feedback is welcome.

Right Thanks Guy, it's much better now and quite useable. I have two suggestions, should you care for it.

- the author field is needlessly complicated. It is similar to: [email protected](nick). How about just displaying the nick? That saves a lot of screen real estate.
        - formatting is lost, the post appears as one big blurb. LF's on the appropriate places would be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by wkasdo
          - the author field is needlessly complicated. It is similar to: [email protected](nick). How about just displaying the nick? That saves a lot of screen real estate.
          Actually this is a requirement of RSS2 standard. I didn't like it myself and yet did not want to expose the email addresses of the forum members (dah !).
          http://feedvalidator.org/check.cgi?u...%3Ftype%3DRSS2

I have removed the email from the Author field, but let me know if your RSS reader barks on you because of that

Originally posted by wkasdo
          - formatting is lost, the post appears as one big blurb. LF's on the appropriate places would be nice.
          That was on my to-do list and I have finally found the right function in vBulletin's code. The formating is fixed and is much nicer now.

One small edition worth mentioning: because the generation of the list of last posts requires a rather complicated SQL query which has been proven to bring the MySQL to it's knees, every 5 minutes the backend runs the query and caches it in a dedicated table in the DB. The frontend fetches the resultes of the cached query and parses it.
          The result is that the feed will have up to 5 minutes delay.
          Unfortunately the tables are layed out the way that would not let me do something efficient on the fly and keep the feed always up-to-date, but I guess we can live with couple minutes delay.
          Last edited by guyt; 9th September 2005, 13:36.
          Guy Teverovsky

Comment

Guy, I just saw your post appear in my RSS reader, and all is well!

Thanks, looks like we are all set now.

Comment

probably missed it but...

is there a way to get the feeds only to specific forum topic?
              i.e. - I wan't to get only the feeds to 'server operating system' and 'active directory' for that matter...

it would be nice.

Comment

Cached queries can not be altered post factum , so no, if you want the posts (as opposed to threads) feed, you'll have to live with posts from all forums.

For threads feed check out the FAQ
                Guy Teverovsky

Comment

I can live with that

Comment

Working...
                  X