Need advice....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice....

Ok so I'm going to open this up for everyone's opinion... I've been in IT for 9 years now. 1 1/2 years as a consultant and the rest at the same company. I moved up from staffer to IT Manager. Went out in 2000 and got my MCSE and MCP+I. Doing ok with all that. But I want to move away from the area and I strongly feel that I will need a degree in order to get a similar job anywhere else. I'm currently upgrading my MCSE and adding the MCAD to my certs. But even with 9 years experience is that enough?

I've looked into the online universities and considered the MBA program at a few. Time and money are an issue (aren't they for everyone) But I am a single mother and want to get a degree as soon as possible and not totally break the bank. But it has to be worth something in the end. I don't want the hiring managers to look at it and say, what a waste. Tell me what you all think is it worth it to do an online degree program? I'm considering the AIU MBA program. Or should I stick it out and go to a local 'brick and mortar' school?

Thanks for your input.
    Trina
    Last edited by FlTechChick; 30th August 2005, 03:32.

Re: Need advice....

Originally posted by FlTechChick
    But I want to move away from the area and I strongly feel that I will need a degree in order to get a similar job anywhere else.
    So you want a completely different career or just a similar (IT) job with another company ?

I don't have a degree and never found it held me back, when I'm hiring I don't look for a degree and think that in the IT sector experience in invaluble.

If you are moving away from IT then it depends on what you want to do as to weather a degree will be helpful\required.

Just my 2 cents.

topper
    * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

Thanks Topper,

Actually I'm looking to stay in a similar position in IT, just change companies and cities.

Trina

Comment

In my opinion 9 years experience is much more valuble than a degree, even an IT related degree.

topper

Comment

Thanks Topper,

Actually one of the places I am considering moving is to the UK, Scotland to be more specific. Any advice on that?

Trina

Comment

Not sure really, I don't know our immigration laws\procedures but I would hazard a guess that a degree would actually help in your application, but best to check.

Job wise, I have never missed out on an opportunity because I don't have a degree, I just have tons of experience too.

topper

Comment

Originally posted by FlTechChick
              Thanks Topper,

Actually one of the places I am considering moving is to the UK, Scotland to be more specific. Any advice on that?

Trina
              Miami to Scotland My advise is take lots of warm clothes.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Your MCSE and 9 years experience will count for more in Scotland. From what i've seen there aren't really too many IT jobs going about. but i'll helpyou on your way.

Keep an eye on these jobsites

www.s1jobs.com

www.reed.co.uk

If i remember any more i'll post for you.

Comment

Thanks so much Wullieb1! great sites I will be looking through them and keep checking back. If you do run across anymore I'd love to know. thank you so much.

Trina

Comment

http://www.jobsite.co.uk/index.html

http://jobserve.co.uk/

http://www.computerpeople.com/content_static/home.asp

My contributions

I can tell you that my ten years experience has counted more for jobs than any qualifications.

I don't have an MCSE or a degree and there are plenty of employers who would give me a well paid, responsible job. I am doing MCSE qualifications anyway but it's not essential if you have a career history that shows you are 110% resourceful in getting the job done!

Comment

Thanks Shorty! Great sites. Well I'm working on getting my resume together and pulling references so I can possibly have some interviews lined up, I have a trip planned for next June. It's a little far ahead, but I like to plan things out.

Well thank you everyone for the words of encouragement and yes Biggles... I have to buy some coats or something..... gonna be a BIG change for me!

Trina

Comment

I've recently graduated from one of the UK top 15 universities with a degree in Computing and Management. I chose to take a “gap year” during my second year which meant I worked for a large organisation for a year. Whilst at university I also worked as a hall network advisor.

My overall graduation mark was probable slightly below average. This had nothing to do my ability to complete the work but mainly in my lack of interest in the course and sheer amount of consumed alcohol over the 3 years.

Due to my experience I was able to get a job much faster than those who had the best degree marks yet no (or very little) experience. I am also on a much higher wage than those who took graduate jobs.

I guess what I’m saying is that in today’s industry (especially IT), experience is more valuable than a degree, even a degree from a leading university. Although, I do believe to an extent that a degree may carry you further in the long run especially if working in an autocratic structured organisation.

The problem I believe we have in the UK is the large number of people who now degree educated and the number of “Mickey Mouse” courses on offer (e.g. surf studies, golf management, arts etc.). We also have an abundance of universities some of which accept applications where the students predicted marks to gain entry are fails.

These factors have lead to University education being seen as less valuable as in previous years. Hopefully many of these factors will be corrected by this years introduction of Top Up Fees which means most students will get into massive debt to go to university. The cost to go to my old university next year will be around 6000 British pounds a year ( around 10000 US) by the time you consider accommodation.
                        These fee’s will no doubt make people think twice before enrolling on courses were the financial benefits of going to university will not be seen.

As for online university education, I’ve not known anyone who’s taken this approach but I would think that it’s a waste of time. There’s several universities in the UK who’s name on your C.V will do you more harm than good. I wouldn’t’ have thought this would be much different with online Degree’s.

I’m currently working on my MCSE, Citrix and Cisco certification. Once I get the qualifications I will list them on my C.V before my Degree qualification.

Hope that helps a bit.

Andy

Comment

Andy,

Thank you for the information. I am seeing more and more people who are placing the value on experience and not degrees also. I appreciate your input. Maybe 15 years ago it would have been almost impossible to get into management without a degree, but now more and more it seems some companies are open to promoting people without. I moved up in the job I have now to I.T. Manager, without a degree.

As you said, there are some that will always place more value on degrees though. I think in the long run I will pursue a degree the old fashioned way, slow but sure. I'm in the process of sitting for my MCAD cert and then finishing off my MCDBA, so after that maybe some regular college courses towards a degree.

Again, Thank you for your input. Best of luck in your career pursuits.

Trina

Comment

Working...
                          X