Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me choose - BB vs iPhone

Ok, so.

I am going to get either one, but damn I cant make up my mind about it. I dont have access to neither to play with, and have only used each for fleeting moments here and there.

I will be using it specifically for email, but other perks are a bonus (apps and such)

Assume the iPhone will be jailbroken too - I want to see what the verdict here is.

Pros/Cons?

Thanks
    iPhone
    54.55%
    Blackberry
    27.27%
    Other (Palm Pre? HTC?)
    18.18%

Re: Help me choose - BB vs iPhone

I like a proper keyboard for my business phones, so I've got an HTC Touch Pro which recently replaced an HTC S730.

I don't know if this is for personal or work, but I don't particularly like Blackberrys simply because you need BES to get the best out of it. My boss just got an iPhone and it seems to work fine with Exchange so far.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

It'll be for both Business and Personal use.

Also if I go for Blackberry I will be using BIS, not getting a server for 1 user!

I must be honest to say the iPhone is more appealing to me right now, especially after seeing things like Remote Desktop Lite apps and things like that.

The only BB I would never use is the Storm, I despise the touchscreen on that.

How is the HTC for you? I remember reading a bad review on the Windows Mobile 6 OS. The device itself looks rather sleek and sexy though, I must admit.

I found out from a friend the other day that you cant set any song you want as your ringtone, something most of us take for granted nowadays. While that particular issue doesnt matter too much, its those types of "gotchas" that I want to be aware of before commiting

Comment

BIS is (not quite) a complete waste of space. Blackberries are only truely effective if you have full synchronisation with a corporate system.

How about a Nokia e71 or similar and Mail For Exchange?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I'd be mainly looking for email/calendar/contact integration.

I despise Mail for Exchange though, which is one of the reasons I'm not sticking with my N95 8GB. Doent support folders and is slow, buggy, clunky.

Do any of these devices support intelligent WiFi useage? For instance, with the N95, you can only set 1 preferred AP or you have to choose everytime. This means I either rely on the slow cell network or I can only connect when I am in range of my wireless.

Ideally I could save a bunch of wireless networks and it'd connect to each as and when Im in range. If I'm not in range then it'd use the 3G connection.

Comment

I would definitively go for the iPhone, no doubt about it.
            way more stable then the Windows phones ... We have seen blue screens on those windows mobiles
            Well at least it crashed a couple of times with a colleague of mine Kinda pity during a standby period.
            I want the iPhone too but the only thing it stops me at the moment is the 2 years contract...
            Last edited by Dumber; 9th October 2009, 18:53.
            Marcel
            Technical Consultant
            Netherlands
            http://www.phetios.com
            http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
            "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
            "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

I've only had the Touch Pro a few days but I love it so far. WinMo obviously gives you the best experience for Exchange integration, but it's got lots of other nice features too like GPS, WorldCard Mobile and Office Mobile. Haven't had any stability problems so far, or with the S730 which preceeded it. It also has an RDP client and if you install SCMDM it can be made a Domain Member (effectively) as well, nice for security policies etc.
              sigpic
              Cruachan's Blog

Comment

+1 for the iPhone. There's tons of apps, lots of good SysAdmin related ones too (WinAdmin is a super RDP app), VPNs work well, email off of Exchange works great and the interface is good. No background apps is a bummer, but the 3.0 OS with push notification is a step in the right direction. It's certainly not a corporate device, but I'd rather have my iPhone over a BB for a personal phone. Some folks where I work have a Storm. I thought it was annoying, slow, buggy and the click able touchscreen was a gimmick. Tired your thumbs out and slowed your typing down.
                Wesley David
                LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                -------------------------------
                Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
                Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
                Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Did you jailbreak yours? What other kind of sysadmin apps are there? Info please

What are the cons of the iphone? Areas of improvement?

I value all this input, thank you all.

Comment

Originally posted by hongman View Post
                    Did you jailbreak yours? What other kind of sysadmin apps are there? Info please

What are the cons of the iphone? Areas of improvement?

I value all this input, thank you all.
                    I didn't jailbreak mine. I didn't see a compelling reason to do so and I didn't want the risk.

Some other SysAdmin apps that I use:
                    iSSH
                    iNet Network Scanner (Works wicked fast!)
                    WiFiFoFum
                    Cisco Speed Test
                    NetAwake
                    WebEx

Other apps that no one should be without
                    Pandora Internet Radio app
                    iPump
                    Amazon Kindle App
                    World War Live
                    BeeJive IM

Pros:
                    Interface, number of apps, easy to use with iTunes (can also be seen as a con depending on what you think of iTunes), stable OS, if you're in America AT&T is a good carrier with good customer support, the calls sound good in the earpiece and your voice sounds good to other callers.

Cons:
                    One app open at a time, first generation 3G iPhones are slow, only 128MB of RAM (the new 3GS takes care of those last two problems though!) no way to add more memory, can't remove battery, expensive, push notification service is sometimes unreliable depending on the application
                    Wesley David
                    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                    -------------------------------
                    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
                    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
                    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

unless you have a BES, I wouldn't find it much appealing.

I have both a Blackberry and iPhone.

I prefer the iPhone better in terms of Apps, Features, Media

If you are going into a price comparison, I guess the Blackberry would win from Data Plan point of view unless you get Unlimited GPRS Data on the iPhone 3G

One word of advice is that the iphone 3GS runs HOTT!

For WinMobo you can wait and go in for the HTC Leo ( HTC HD2 ) that releases in Europe in October with America in Q1 2010.

For Android, theres the HTC Hero

For WebOS , the Palm Pixi is supposed to Launch soon.

Mail 4 Exchange : Don't even go there . I still curse the developers who made it. Had around 10 Nokia E61i's and M4E would just give a Memory Full error or it wouldn't synch well with the exchange server.

BlackBerry : PUSH OTA Mail
                      iPhone: Checks for mails every 15 mins

Comment

Since version 3 software (OS) came out for the iPhone it has become really slow, frustratingly slow. Personally I would now go for a PDA/phone combo. The iPhone has some nice features but it also lack some as well.
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

My colleague isn't experiencing any issues, so what is slow?
                          Marcel
                          Technical Consultant
                          Netherlands
                          http://www.phetios.com
                          http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                          "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                          "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

FWIW we use a mixture of WinMo, Nokias and one iPhone in the office.

All of the techies have Windows Mobile, mostly things like the HTC Touch Pro that I have as we spend the most time on the road and are most likely to be sending emails on the go. We tend to go for phones with hardware keyboards for that reason.

The sales guys mostly have Nokias. They don't generally like "geek phones" (sales guys preferring style over substance, who'd have thought it? ) and aren't on the road as much, so access to email is all they need. We've never had any issues with Mail for Exchange crashing, and everyone agrees it's much better than it's predecessor RoadSync.

The MD has just got an iPhone 3GS and loves it, he previously had a Nokia N96. We only upgraded last week, so it's still honeymoon period, but no complaints so far on the iPhone or the Touch Pros.
                            sigpic
                            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

My iPhone is constatntly syncing with my work Calendar (Exchange) and I only turn on mail sync when I want to read mails. I have no issues at all with the iPhone and syncing with Exchange (Except when the O2 network goes down).

I would definately recommend the iPhone

Michael
                              Michael Armstrong
                              www.m80arm.co.uk
                              MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                              X