just for amusement...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just for amusement...

This from my sister in law, who values herself as an ultra excellent desktop/server support technician and told me once she knew everything about active directoy, but when quizzed about sites, had no idea, and dind't need to know. (hee hee)

Notice to tech support pplz: Apparently those magnetic bracelets older people are using to stop sore writs/arthritis and other similar things are causing laptops to short out and turn off/die. Just something to remember and everyone might wana let their parents and grannies know if they have one.

So, where do I start... ? with the magenetic field o nthe speakers in the laptop ? with the shielding in the laptop body /
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Re: just for amusement...

I think some laptops have got a magnetic piece on the Lid and on the base.
    ...so I can see that being the case.
    I discovered that accidently when I put two Toshiba U400 on top of each-other and it was going on stand-by for no apparent reason!!
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
      This from my sister in law, who values herself as an ultra excellent desktop/server support technician and told me once she knew everything about active directoy, but when quizzed about sites, had no idea, and dind't need to know. (hee hee)

So, where do I start... ? with the magenetic field o nthe speakers in the laptop ? with the shielding in the laptop body /
      The most amusing part of her note, IMO, was the use of the word "pplz". In all seriousness, I think I'll lift her Engrish and use it myself. 'Tech Support pplz" sounds a lot more personal that "Dear Management Information Systems Knowledge Worker Personnel:"

l8tr mah peeps...

EDIT: Oh, and apparently the tendency for typos and a disdain for proof-reading runs on the family

:: glances at sis's use of the words "writs" and "wana" ::
      :: glances at tehcamel's letter spacing and errant punctuation insertion ::

Last edited by Nonapeptide; 28th September 2009, 17:00.
      Wesley David
      LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
      -------------------------------
      Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
      Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
      Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
      Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

I can actually confirm this one.

I used to work for one of the big 2 computer manfacturers and these days pretty much all laptops have a magentic reed switch, as opposed to the small mechanical ones that used to be pushed down by closing the lids. On many of them the sensor is in the touchpad, and the magnet next to the catch above the LCD, but I've also seen quite a lot with the sensor down the edge, so someone using an external mouse and wearing a magnetic bracelet could trick the computer into thinking the lid is closed, and the default Windows behaviour for that is to go into standby.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

I recently was stying in a hotel where my keycard managed to stop working a total of 4 times. Guest services would constantly tell me to keep it away from my cellphone. I would instead tell them their system was crap.

If your technology is rendered useless by common carry items then you need to look at alternative solutions.

Cool laptops use hindges to keep the lid closed, not magnets.

Comment

Originally posted by Nonapeptide View Post
            The most amusing part of her note, IMO, was the use of the word "pplz". In all seriousness, I think I'll lift her Engrish and use it myself. 'Tech Support pplz" sounds a lot more personal that "Dear Management Information Systems Knowledge Worker Personnel:"

l8tr mah peeps...

EDIT: Oh, and apparently the tendency for typos and a disdain for proof-reading runs on the family

:: glances at sis's use of the words "writs" and "wana" ::
            :: glances at tehcamel's letter spacing and errant punctuation insertion ::

i blame working on a laptop, and alternating between, usually, at least 3 different keyboards a day :P

I used to work for one of the big 2 computer manfacturers and these days pretty much all laptops have a magentic reed switch, as opposed to the small mechanical ones that used to be pushed down by closing the lids. On many of them the sensor is in the touchpad, and the magnet next to the catch above the LCD, but I've also seen quite a lot with the sensor down the edge, so someone using an external mouse and wearing a magnetic bracelet could trick the computer into thinking the lid is closed, and the default Windows behaviour for that is to go into standby.
            I was going to say WTf, but then i thought about my laptop... my old inspiron has a little push-switch for the lid, but this one (a vostro) and the new one on my desk at work (latitude 4300) do not have that button, so they must have the magnet you speak of!

that's cool to know... i might try and replicate it
            Last edited by tehcamel; 28th September 2009, 23:39.
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by Garen View Post
              Cool laptops use hindges to keep the lid closed, not magnets.
              Was that an ironic typo?
              In this case the magents aren't to keep the lid closed, for example my Dell Latitude D420 still has a normal sliding catch and the magnet is in the right hand edge of the LCD assembly about 50mm from the top. Seeing as the kind chaps at Dell put the service manuals online you can see the sensor board that tells when the lid is closed.
              BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
              sigpic
              Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Joke or not (and I'm not sure about how strong that bracelet's magnetic field is), but sometimes these things do get in the way of some computer hardware, mostly with laptop mice, but not just.
                Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
                X