Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where do you prefer to buy your personal tech gear online?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do you prefer to buy your personal tech gear online?

When buying technology for yourself, where do you tend to purchase them online? I'm looking for a listing of your favorite tech sites and also which country you live in. It would be nice if you could expound on why you prefer that place to others.

I'll kick things off. My number one site is Newegg.com. I like the prices, the shipping speed, the copious product reviews by regular users and also the product search feature. In fact, the latter is, IMO, the best online. I go there to find products and read reviews even if I might not actually purchase from Newegg. For instance, I needed some kind of simple mass storage device for a small office so I simply went to newegg and used their power search to find a storage device with the right capacity and interfaces and voila! I have a good number to choose from with my perfect specs.

My second site is Amazon. With free supersaver shipping on items sold from Amazon as well as shipping locations in very convenient geographic places, I always get good prices and quick shipping. Their return policy is teh proverbial pwn. No questions asked full money back and they pay the shipping! \/\/00t!!

Third, Provantage is nice for prices and shipping is good, but that's probably because I live in the same state as them. I tend to see them come up at the top of the Google Shopping lists for good prices.

What are your faves?
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Re: Where do you prefer to buy your personal tech gear online?

I live in LA, which is an hour drive from Newegg's wherehouse. Anything I order there is delivered within 48 hours. However I don't like to pay tax or shipping so my primary retailer is Amazon.

Comment

In the UK:

ebuyer.co.uk, dabs.co.ukscan.co.uk, in descending order of preference.

Any of the above based on who has the cheapest price for what I'm looking for.

Following numerous bad experiences, I avoid Aria.

Now that I tend to buy through the company (or at least through company suppliers), most of my purchases either go direct to our Dell account manager for computers or to Invicta for anything else (invictait.com). We get fantastic service and fantastic prices from them. What I particularly like about Invicta is that when I phone, I give them my requirements, they go and do some research and get back to me within an hour with various options and quotes for each. And given a specific item, they will match prices from other suppliers 99% of the time and beat them probably 50% of the time. Since my company has an ISO 9001 certificate this is important as we require every supplier to be approved by the Quality department before any orders can be authorised.
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I tend to buy most of my personal stuff from Amazon or BestBuy. I use both of them because I typically know what I'm looking for and I know the price I should expect to pay, so I'm not going to be hornswaggled by the GeekSquad or BestBuy rep trying to sell me their game system setup package for $139.00 or an extended warranty on an $80.00 hard drive. I'm not into the whole price comparison idea so I'm often willing to pay a little more for something in exchange for more convenience.

BTW, I do 90% of my shopping online: clothes, shoes, coffee, etc., etc.

For work purchases, I'll use our Dell or CDW accounts. Like Gareth, I tell our rep what I need and they go find the best solution for me.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
          ebuyer.co.uk, dabs.co.ukscan.co.uk, in descending order of preference.
          Methinks there is an AWOL comma somewhere. Going to "dabs.co.ukscan.co.uk" comes back with undesirable results. I've never heard of them. I'll have to look at dabs.com

We get fantastic service and fantastic prices from them. What I particularly like about Invicta is that when I phone, I give them my requirements, they go and do some research and get back to me within an hour with various options and quotes for each.
          Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
          For work purchases, I'll use our Dell or CDW accounts. Like Gareth, I tell our rep what I need and they go find the best solution for me.
          Oh. My. Goodness. This working on a barebones budget and having to do my own footwork and comparison shopping does have it's strengths (I learn a lot), but you two sound like your living the life of luxory. Maybe someday... *sigh*

Bonus Question: What's your favorite site for comparison shopping for tech gear?
          Wesley David
          LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
          Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
          Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide

Comment

Also in the UK is cpc.co.uk (product range) and kenable.co.uk (price). And comms-express.com (also for price).

Originally posted by Nonapeptide View Post
            Oh. My. Goodness. This working on a barebones budget and having to do my own footwork and comparison shopping does have it's strengths (I learn a lot), but you two sound like your living the life of luxory. Maybe someday... *sigh*
            Doesn't cost any extra. There's easily 50% if not more of the quote requests I send to Invicta which don't turn into orders and we go months without buying anything sometimes -there's no minimum spend required to keep the account open. If suppliers want the business in a recession, they'll work for it
            Last edited by gforceindustries; 23rd September 2009, 01:16.
            Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Doesn't cost any extra. There's easily 50% if not more of the quote requests I send to Invicta which don't turn into orders and we go months without buying anything sometimes -there's no minimum spend required to keep the account open. If suppliers want the business in a recession, they'll work for it
              Hrm. Maybe I just pick the wrong resellers or get the wrong account managers. Just today I dealt with a fellow that, while he had been quite chipper and eager to serve in the past, has for the last several phone calls seemed like he had drank a quart of Nyquil before answering my call and would rather be inflicting paper cuts on his eyeballs than speaking to me. I figured it was because I'm a small potatoes purchaser compared to a larger organization or maybe didn't have a "Gold Account" or whatever.
              Wesley David
              LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

Originally posted by Nonapeptide View Post
                Hrm. Maybe I just pick the wrong resellers or get the wrong account managers. Just today I dealt with a fellow that, while he had been quite chipper and eager to serve in the past, has for the last several phone calls seemed like he had drank a quart of Nyquil before answering my call and would rather be inflicting paper cuts on his eyeballs than speaking to me. I figured it was because I'm a small potatoes purchaser compared to a larger organization or maybe didn't have a "Gold Account" or whatever.
                I think it's more a matter of how well they like their job, how happy they are with their employer, whether or not their significant other was crabby that morning, etc.

I've had several reps at both Dell and CDW (based on their business division realignments, etc., etc.) and some have definitely been better than others.

Comment

i think that all of those are great sites too

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
                    I've had several reps at both Dell and CDW (based on their business division realignments, etc., etc.) and some have definitely been better than others.
                    Man, Kevin was such a legend. A 9 grand (website price) server for 4k...
                    Gareth Howells

Comment

ebuyer, ebay and dabs are all ones I've used pretty regularly, Amazon I've used for personal and for business (Some Netgear firewall routers and things like that).

We've done a lot of business with Dell recently, so I'd definitely ask them if there was anything I wanted. They're letting people go all over the place so the Account Managers are very eager to please at the moment.
                      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                      sigpic
                      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Newegg for me. I live in Mass, USA and they ship from New Jersey, USA
                        GoogleFu is strong with this one ^

Comment

I mostly use newegg and ebay but sometimes will use compuvest.com. They have a good selection of legacy parts and the prices are pretty reasonable.

Comment

I hail from Ontario, Canada. TigerDirect.ca is my preffered stop

Comment

Originally posted by mo_rocks View Post
                              I hail from Ontario, Canada. TigerDirect.ca is my preffered stop
                              I find that TigerDirect is often quite overpriced compared to other vendors. Maybe it's not the case for Canada?

I forgot another place I like to shop. For Macintosh needs, nothing beats MacMall!!
                              Wesley David
                              LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

Working...
                              X