I remember when...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I remember when...

In the vein of "what have you crashed ?" - this one is for fond memories of earlier days of technology.
    Partly because I'm feeling vaguely nostalgic myself, and partly because I like hearing about stuff from before my time..

So, I'll start.

- I remember when.... you could search for something (using altavista) and find it, and not find links to other sites which contain links to other sites.
    - I remember when.... I had a unisys 386 desktop that required SIP ram (it had pins, true pins like cpu pins, rather than the board-like 'pins' of current RAM)
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Re: I remember when...

I preface this with the fact that I'm rather young and my "Remember When"s will make the ever-so-slightly-older set guffaw.

I remember when...
    • I used the new version of Photoshop (2.0) on a Mac Performa 578 with 8 MB of RAM. I was excited when I upgraded it to twelve megabytes.
    • It was standard to have RAM soldered on the motherboard.
    • Soundcards in a Macintosh was just crazy talk.
    • My ad-lib/soundblaster compatible card in my 286 was the bee's knees for playing Commander Keen and Halloween Harry (and all of the other Apogee games)
    • My Apple III could do 16 shades of green! (WooT!)
    • Prodigy, Genie and CompuServe was the closest thing to an Internet.
    • BBSs with their leet ASCII art were tres kewl.
    • You could tell what baudrate modem you had by listening to the screeches (Okay, I couldn't do that, but I've heard of people who could)
    • One word: Rogue.
    Last edited by Nonapeptide; 15th September 2009, 01:16.
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

I remember going to altavista and getting the message that I should be looking at altavista.digital.com

I remember downloading Netscape 3.1 at Uni to use at home because of how long 10mb would take to download, and getting an auto-warning from the sys admin for exceeding my disk quota. I had to use pkzip and ~8 floppy disks to get it home.

Going back even further I remember crashing games by forgetting to press play on the tape drive in time. I also vividly recall the sound made by tape drives loading games, I believe (having seen a documentary on Discovery recently) that the noise is quite similar to a Dolphin giving birth.

I remember when I had an IBM PS-1 which had it's OS (IBM DOS4) on an embedded ROM for faster boot times, and it also came with Windows 3.0 which was pretty much useless for anything.

I remember when everyone's email address was a phone number type thing, unless you paid Compuserve extra.
      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
      sigpic
      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

I remember loving Netscape 2.0 on my Mac (System 7.6, Quadra 660AV I believe) so much that I used it as a means of navigating my file system since it could open up nearly everything natively. What a cool idea... fast forward a few years and behold Windows Explorer.
        Wesley David
        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide

Comment

see, this is fun :P
          I'm also relatively young..

i remember when... I had my first foray into networking. I figured.. two computers, 1 coax cable, she'll be right. Why won't it work ? over and over.. everything configured right.
          Eventually some nice person told me i needed T-pieces and terminators, even though it was only 2 computers..
          (same computer as the SIP ram above :P)
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I remember having to upgrade my 486 DX2 to 16MB of RAM so that I could run IE 3.

I remember telling my brother-in-law that his 2GB hard drive would be more than he ever needed.

I remember printing the entire Windows 95 help manual on a dot matrix printer.

I remember buying an upgrade from USRobotics to upgrade my modem from 33.6k to 56k.

I remember overclocking my AMD K6-2 CPU to 366Mhz and having the fastest computer on the market... for about a week.

Comment

I remember.... our first computer.. Amstrad 1512, with 1x360K 5.25' floppy disk.

I remember.. dad buying a harddrive for it... 40MB (yes that's right) using an MFM interface. We had to partition it to 30MB and 8MB.

Comment

I remember one of the more "advanced" graphics cards of its era taking up 3 ISA slots. 1 'GPU' board and a pair of 512KB memory boards, linked to each other via a 60-pin ribbon cable. Oh, and with a block of 12 DIP switches on the back plate next to the VGA connector. In a massive beige case, with a hole on the front to push trees into and a pipe on the back for the black smoke to come out of.

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
                Going back even further I remember crashing games by forgetting to press play on the tape drive in time. I also vividly recall the sound made by tape drives loading games, I believe (having seen a documentary on Discovery recently) that the noise is quite similar to a Dolphin giving birth.
                I lol'd

I remember spending 3 days typing in BASIC code on a Dragon 64, then spending another 3 trying to find the typo which didn't cause it to bomb out, but did stop the program working.

I remember the Sega Game Gear. Holy Catchphrase Batman! A colour screen? On a pseudo-portable device which had a 50% chance of giving you a hernia? And only 6 batteries, that lasted for a full hour? Wewewewewewewewewt!

*ahem*... damn kids. You and your rock and roll 8-track tapes...

Last edited by gforceindustries; 15th September 2009, 04:56.
                Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by Nonapeptide View Post
                  [*]One word: Rogue.[/list]
                  Ah, the joys of ASCII based adventure games. I used to play that for hours at a time, until I got the first Prince of Persia.

Re: soundcards I also remember when games like PoP, Wolf 3D etc had PC speaker support, because soundcards were so uncommon and expensive.
                  sigpic
                  Cruachan's Blog

Comment

9 posts and no one has been eaten by a grue ??

Comment

You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike
                      I remember my Atari 800 -- with Disk Drive (all 88 kb of it unless you got the optional Stanley Knife Upgrade)
                      Then the Atari ST, GEM was much better than Windoze 2.x (and 3.x, IMHO)
                      Tom Jones
                      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I remember using an analogue calculator at school. We called them slide rules.
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I remember when, I remember I remember when I lost my mind.

There were users involved

Originally posted by Ossian quoted... View Post
                          You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike
                          http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01...007_episode_2/
                          Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                            I remember using an analogue calculator at school. We called them slide rules.
                            Wow. Did you have to carve them out of stone all by yourself? When you were done, did you go back into Bedrock and have lunch with Fred and Barney?

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
                            I remember when, I remember I remember when I lost my mind.
                            They're Coming to Take Me Away, Ha-Haaa!
                            To the happy home with trees and flowers and chirping birds
                            And basket weavers who sit and smile and twiddle their thumbs and toes
                            Wesley David
                            LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

Another old friend.
                              sigpic
                              Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X