I once had to reboot a...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I once had to reboot a...

We have an interesting issue with some of our machines. On some machines with DVI monitors, after the screens go to sleep they won't come back again. We have to RDC or VNC into the machine to wake the screen up.

I have the issue with my desktop. I also however have a PCI card driving a VGA screen, which I have to turn off before rebooting the machine and leave off until I get into Windows. If I leave the screen switched on during POST, the screen's firmware crashes - I have to pull the power lead to be able to turn it off

So tell me... what's the weirdest piece of hardware you've managed to crash?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Re: I once had to reboot a...

I crashed an abacus once. We were picking little beads out of the carpet for months.
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

... you win

I've managed to crash calculators, a washing machine, phones (bloody Panasonic), mobile phones (bloody Nokia) and an air conditioner (bloody Siemens )...
      Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I've crashed more routers than I can count. In order of easiest to crash Thomson/Speedtouch (Nice aerodynamic properties, I've thrown many across rooms), Belkin, D-Link, Netgear and Linksys.

My car has Blue&Me built in, which is built on Microsoft Auto. So theoretically I could crash my car without getting a huge bill.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
          In order of easiest to crash Thomson/Speedtouch (Nice aerodynamic properties, I've thrown many across rooms), Belkin, D-Link, Netgear and Linksys.
          That reminds me, I crashed an old Hayes 1200 baud modem with an assault rifle. In spite of it's lack of aerodynamics, it made a lovely 70 yard parabolic arc.
          Wesley David
          LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
          -------------------------------
          Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
          Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
          Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
          Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

I've crashed many a server testing RAID works (hot plug drives often don't) and once managed to pull an ISA LAN card out of a running PC without it (a) crashing and (b) blowing up the MoBo
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

ISA cards, not bad what about memory modules though?

Originally posted by BOFH
              The 'great' thing about crap engineers is that they don't let something like not knowing anything about the product hamper them in any way. They're quite prepared to lift the cover on something, pull the memory out, hold the memory in their mouth while they bend a couple of heatsinks out of the way looking for a loose wire, shove the memory back in the slot, reseat it with a small amount of pressure, a medium amount of pressure, a large amount of pressure, then realise it's in the wrong way and repeat the pressure install method, shut the cover then realise they've been working on the wrong machine the whole time - and maybe they should have turned the power off first...
              Gareth Howells

Comment

On a Man vs Machine scenario, everyone is going for the success stories anyone crashed in the floor in the server room working afterhours ????
                Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Of course. Other than sleeping under the CEO's desk for a couple of hours at 2am on Monday morning, my colleague and I worked 6 days straight on the sister company's rebuild, Thursday-Tuesday. Fun weekend that was
                  Gareth Howells

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
                    So tell me... what's the weirdest piece of hardware you've managed to crash?
                    A crashed a tricycle that had trainer wheels. I was about 2 years old.
                    Last edited by biggles77; 11th September 2009, 16:38.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Caused an NT4 box to need a format by compiling some Pascal on it.
                      Caused a Sun box to need a format by turning up the volume...
                      Crashed a PC while it was still in the box... yeah, don't ask...
                      ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Wired View Post
                        Caused an NT4 box to need a format by compiling some Pascal on it.
                        It's ok, service pack 94 fixed that

Caused a Sun box to need a format by turning up the volume...
                        I... don't really know what to say to that one

Crashed a PC while it was still in the box...
                        You may have a good claim to the prize with that one, but you know what I must do now...

yeah, don't ask...
                        Pretty please?
                        Gareth Howells

Comment

I once had the shop install SP2 on my BMW K1200R bike's on board computer. And I'm not joking. I do not know what OS it ran.
                          Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                          Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                          MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Ooo... those in the UK may have seen the "new" fleet of buses that Arriva are rolling out (they started 2 years ago on this fleet). On the old fleet, it was all low-tech - diesel engine to make it move, a handle for the driver to turn to scroll the route information, and the Wayfarer (ticket machine *) didn't link in to anything (until they added the pre-paid ticket readers).

On the new fleet, everything is computerised - the route indicator on the front is an LED panel, as is the newly added display inside showing the next stop. Trouble is, there's a bit of a firmware bug on some of the earlier vehicles. I have been on a bus when the driver had to reboot it

I work in the rail industry, so tend to know the difference between a class 321 and a 323 etc (the company manufactures panels for train interiors and doors among other things) - not a clue what designation the old and new buses have though.

Last edited by gforceindustries; 12th September 2009, 23:35.
                            Gareth Howells

Comment

Been on a flight where the onboard navigation displays (for the passengers) suddenly went BSOD, stayed that way for about 30 seconds and then went off for the duration. Scary as I know they are linked with the flight deck and the a/c (some sort of Airbus) is completely "crash by wire"
                              Tom Jones
                              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                              IT Trainer / Consultant
                              Ossian Ltd
                              Scotland

Comment

Working...
                              X