• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy System Administrator Appreciation Day

Pub trip anyone?

http://www.sysadminday.com/
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Re: Happy System Administrator Appreciation Day

Anyone got some presents?
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

I got given a wireless keyboard.

Was asked to put fresh batteries in it and return it to the meeting room
      Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Our broadband got upgraded so I got given a new router to configure. It's working but it'll take me until the end of time to remove all of the crap the CD installed before it would let me anywhere near the router config page.

I really hate BT and their assumption that no-one can or should configure a router manually.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

That's more then what I received...
          Marcel
          Technical Consultant
          Netherlands
          http://www.phetios.com
          http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
          "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
          "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

W shredded the CD that came with our broadband router and did everything through the web GUI. So much faster.

Burnt the shreddings IIRC.
            Gareth Howells

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
              W shredded the CD that came with our broadband router and did everything through the web GUI. So much faster.

Burnt the shreddings IIRC.
              If only I could have done that. The latest BT Business Hubs have a custom firmware on them that prevents you doing lots of things except via auto-configuration from the CD, and there's no way as yet to flash them to the manufacturers firmware without bricking it for the current release.

Our last BT router was never used in favour of a D-Link and destroyed in a tragic accident involving a batch of old hard drives, a hammer and a quiet Friday afternoon.
              BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
              sigpic
              Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post

Our last BT router was never used in favour of a D-Link and destroyed in a tragic accident involving a batch of old hard drives, a hammer and a quiet Friday afternoon.
                I say old chap, how very British of you having a smashing good time, what. Pip pip!! :ginandtonic:
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

If only I could have done that. The latest BT Business Hubs have a custom firmware on them that prevents you doing lots of things except via auto-configuration from the CD, and there's no way as yet to flash them to the manufacturers firmware without bricking it for the current release.
                  Lame. Ah well, whack an ADSL card in the 10 year old computer that every admin seems to have propping up their desk, chuck Linux and Squid on it and get yourself a cheap (albeit basic) proxy

It's the sport of kings... except we make a point of destroying anything from D-Link pretty much immediately, only putting Edimax first. We have a chromic acid tank in the factory... funny how it seems to get contaminated a day or two after we buy new gear
                  Gareth Howells

Comment

Yes, happy sys admin day to all. In celebration, I think I'll put my phone on DnD and enact some sporadic unscheduled downtime on the CRM database server just for giggles.

unmount database 2009PeopleBase to "/work2/Devices/PplBs_file"
                    Wesley David
                    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                    -------------------------------
                    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
                    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
                    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

I ran backups to the non-unwinding longitudinal length drive. Went through so quickly, and without any wear and tear on the tapes or tape drives, so everyone's a winner

Might VPN in and upload some cracked firmware onto the RAID controllers to see what happens.
                      Gareth Howells

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
                        I ran backups to the non-unwinding longitudinal length drive. Went through so quickly, and without any wear and tear on the tapes or tape drives, so everyone's a winner

Might VPN in and upload some cracked firmware onto the RAID controllers to see what happens.
                        Post saved and forward to appropriate authorities, Scotland Yard, Old Scotland Yard, New Scotland Yard, The Sweeny, MI5, MI6, MI14 and the Hereford Hooligans. Muhahahahaha
                        Last edited by biggles77; 1st August 2009, 02:24.
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                          Post saved and forward to appropriate authorities, Scotland Yard, Old Scotland Yard, New Scotland Yard, The Sweeny, MI5, MI6, MI14 and the Hereford Hooligans. Muhahahahaha
                          You forgot Encyclopedia Brown.
                          Wesley David
                          LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                          -------------------------------
                          Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                          Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
                          Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
                          Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77
                            Hereford Hooligans
                            You have my boss' contact details?

Oh, wait - he's an MVP - everyone can find his contact details
                            Gareth Howells

Comment

You do know who the Hereford Hooligans are, don't you? If you don't, david stirling (no quotes, just as I typed it) A very interesting chap I first read about some 40 years ago.
                              1 1 was a racehorse.
                              2 2 was 1 2.
                              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                              X