No announcement yet.

MS training derailing other training ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MS training derailing other training ?

Now I've posted this elsewhere, but will post it here too.

ok so I've got a nice new MS Press training book sitting in my lap, and i'm on page 5.

Although the protocols that instantiated the OSI model were never adopted in practice, the names and especially the numbers of the layers of the model survive to this day.
    This just doesn't seem quite right to me - if I talk to a network guy.. he'll talk in layer 2, 3, 1, whatever it necessary for the discussion at hand..
    so the osi layers are definitely adopted in practice..

am i interpretting wrongly ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Re: MS training derailing other training ?

It's hard to tell when the paragraph is taken out of the context but in a nutshell that seems quite right to me.
    The 7 layer OSI model was established some time ago and since then there has been loads of attempts to reorganise those protocols into layers.
    The TCP/IP Model and its layer architecture (which MS adopts )seems to be compared to the OSI model quite often but OSI Model sims to be more widely referenced.
    This is what the paragraph is saying on my interpretation .

Cheers
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

the names and especially the numbers of the layers of the model survive to this day
      Isn't that what you just said?
      Cheers,

Daniel Petri
      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

I don't think it's a case of MS training contradicting or derailing other training methods regarding networking and the OSI model. The OSI model is a reference not a standard. MS implements a 4 layer networking model based on the OSI model. Teaching the OSI model along with their own implementation helps to develop a broader foundation for understanding networking.

If you're going to work on networks you need to have a keen grasp of the OSI model and if you're going to work on MS networks you need to have a keen grasp of their 4 layer implementation.

Comment

Please Do Not Throw Sausage Pizza Away.
          All People See The New Day Personally.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

All People Seem To Need Daily Pizza

Comment

Please Do Not Teach Students Pointless Acronyms
              Wesley David
              LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
              -------------------------------
              Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
              Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
              Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
              Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Ladies and Gentlemen
                We apologise for the recent disruption to reality
                Please do not adjust your minds, normal reality will be resumed as soon as possible
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

My head usually works in the 5 layer model.

Application
                  Transport
                  Network
                  Data
                  Physical

From experience those 5 layers are clearly defined and you can see the differences but if you break down application to application, presentation, session it doesn't help you troubleshoot anything or even understand it better.

Comment

I tend to think in the 7 layer model as it seems to me to be the best and most logical fit as I watch networking traffic flow across the wires. The 4 layer model seems too simplistic sometimes, but that may just be me. Then when vendors say that a product works at layer "2.5" I scratch my head a bit. I've never heard of a 5 layer model. This grasshopper has much to learn. If you need me, I'll be in layer 5 3/4s.

EDIT: Garen, I find that nothing makes sense to me without the Session layer. Maybe I'm weird.
                    Wesley David
                    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                    -------------------------------
                    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
                    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
                    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Same here, Session would be the biggest piece of "Application" layer for me, beyond that its just APIs that only matter to programmers.

2.5 is just marketing, its a proprietary header between layers 2 and 3 used for MPLS networks.

Comment

Working...
                      X