I don't wnat to seem harsh

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't wnat to seem harsh

But I sometimes get the feeling, reading some of the posts here.. that there are people out there that are in roles they may not have the capability to do..... which, isn't necessarily in itself a bad thing.

I quite often find things in my role that I don't have the capability to do.. but usually before performing an action, or task, or doing something that's out of my depth.. I try to spend the time to actually get a grasp on what i'm doing.. to learn, and at least have some sort of capability.

Don't get me wrong - this is both a good, and a bad thing. But for instance.. to pick a random thread here, "thread title removed to avoid a possible flame"
    I mean.. I'm far from the world's greatest with AD - I'll happily admit I barely brush the surface.. but I know enough not to just go hammer and tongs at it to solve a problem..

I dunno.. I don't want to seem harsh.. it's just.. i dunno.. frustrating. Why can't people research before they do things ?
    Last edited by biggles77; 3rd June 2009, 04:24. Reason: Remove potential flame incitement
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Re: I don't wnat to seem harsh

Sometimes the problem is not knowing where to start. I've been a Windows admin for 10 years so I'm pretty well versed in how to find the relevant MS info I'm looking for but not so well versed in other areas, like VMware for instance. I'm currently running VMware ESXi 3.5 (the free edition) and to be quite honest I find it difficult to figure out exactly what I have, how to configure it, how to use it, etc. I've been to a VMware class and read a lot of documentation and Googled like crazy but I can't say that I've made any headway with it. The problem is I don't know where to start or what terminology to use when I'm researching it.

I spent the entire day today trying to figure out how to install DOMSA on my ESXi hosts only to find out (after enabling SSH, RCLI, configuring the service console, etc., etc.) that the version I'm running doesn't support SNMP.

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
      But I sometimes get the feeling, reading some of the posts here.. that there are people out there that are in roles they may not have the capability to do..... which, isn't necessarily in itself a bad thing.
      My agreement or disagreement with you revolves around the word "capability". My problem is not with people who's lack of capability means that they do not have the precise skills at that moment to solve a problem, but with those people who's lack of capability means that they do not have the desire to segment the problem into bite sizes, research the situation and then make some headway on their own. My observation seems to be that there are a disheartening amount of people working in the IT field (probably in every field, but it's just more noticeable in IT) that want to be spoon fed solutions and are not so interested in sharpening their own critical thinking skills or intuitition. Of course, there are some times when you really need to be spoon fed a solution, but that's what expensive support contracts are for.

Case in point: I received a Samsung ITP-5121D IP phone today that looks just like the desk phones in a remote office I support. I had never connected an IP phone to a remote phone system before. After an afternoon of plodding through the manuals and making a few mistakes I not only connected it bit also had fun changing remote user's visible station names. I could have whined to a support tech or a VOIP forum, but I just tinkered away and got it done. (Not perfectly, there are still quite a few things I have yet to learn of course). Not to say that I'm so great and wonderful, but I think it's a start at least.

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
      I quite often find things in my role that I don't have the capability to do.. but usually before performing an action, or task, or doing something that's out of my depth.. I try to spend the time to actually get a grasp on what i'm doing.. to learn, and at least have some sort of capability.
      Precisely. I think we are in agreement.

I try to surround myself with people who are better and smarter than me and not focus on anyone else. Subscribe to the planet sysadmin blogrole and see if you don't feel like everyone on there has forgotten more about admining that you've ever known. At least, that's the way I feel. Brian K Jones, Tom Limoncelli, Ben Rockwood, etc. and etc. keep me on my toes.
      Last edited by Nonapeptide; 3rd June 2009, 13:49.
      Wesley David
      LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
      -------------------------------
      Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
      Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
      Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
      Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

actually.. i think i need to rmeove that issue i referred to..
        could you edit your post for me ?

I was specifically talking about fellow IT people, but I chose that example instead of using a post on here.. which probably may not have been the greatest idea as it blurred my issue.

my colleague makes fun of my copy of war and peace (or: how to run our network) that i'm writing.. and my insistance on his writing documentation, but there's a good, solid reason. I know i'm not going to be here for 12 months or so, and I know that he's not quite on par with my skill level, and while I know he can get up to the rightr skill level quickly, what i'm tryin to do is prevent a situation like I inherited when i got here - knowing nothing about the environment, and being by myself and having to sort it out.
        i also document things I change, so that I can go back and undo them, and I don't change (especially major changes) without rollback plan, and rollback methods.. it's not enough to say "this is how I'll undo it" - i need to be bale to do it, incase it does go wrong (and it has...)
        Last edited by tehcamel; 3rd June 2009, 04:14.
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

It's not what you know but who. That and being able to speak well and bullshit will land you a job.

I have friends that had to braindump to pass their A+ yet they hold great jobs. I myself have been unemployed for the past three months.

Comment

Originally posted by Garen View Post
            It's not what you know but who. That and being able to speak well and bullshit will land you a job.

I have friends that had to braindump to pass their A+ yet they hold great jobs. I myself have been unemployed for the past three months.
            It's a fact of life unfortunately. Based on the contents of your posts I'd employ you without a doubt but to a prospective employer you'll have to sell yourself as they don't really know what your capabilities are (Apart from stating them on a CV or Application form).
            Good luck with the job hunting.

Which brings me to another line of thought

Would a Job or recruitment forum be a good idea in here??
            Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

I personally wouldn't benefit from a job/recruitment thread right now.. but I would in february/march next year :P

but in general, i think it might be a good idea.. always interesting to see what jobs are on offer.. even if i wasn't in love with the company i work for, and my specific role

Comment

Originally posted by Garen View Post

You're resume is the window to your world. Remember 9 times out of 10 the person involved in the recruiting process is HR. They wont have a clue as to what the requirements are per se but are handed a spec that they must adhere too. In the process those resumes that don't contain the relevant key words get disregarded and someone who may have less experience but had his resume professionally written consisting of those key words may get a look in over yourself. Extremely frustrating but dont let that deter you. Persistence will get you where you want to go.

IT unfortunately is one of those industries whereby you must jump through the necessary hoops in order to advance yourself.

I must admit i do find it incredibly frustrating working with guys who do not have a proactive attitude and are simply woefully inept at what they do with no desire nor interest to enable themselves. This is one of the key reasons why il be handing my notice in tomorrow and moving on to greener pastures in a far more rewarding fole for a fortune 100 company.
                Last edited by scurlaruntings; 4th June 2009, 14:46.

Comment

Originally posted by scurlaruntings View Post
                  This is one of the key reasons why il be handing my notice in tomorrow and moving on to greener pastures in a far more rewarding fole for a fortune 100 company.
                  Really? Wow. Let us know how it goes.
                  Wesley David
                  LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                  -------------------------------
                  Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                  Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
                  Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
                  Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Its gone very well They've offered me 15K more than im currently on in my immediate role. Il also be a key driving factor in terms of business enablement through the technology they use and will be leading a team of 5 guys. I met 5 of the directors and went through 4 interviews of which apparently they had over 100 applications. The technical interview was a killer but apparently i passed with flying colours. If you work hard you do get rewarded. I run my own business part time and work full time. Hardwork always pay's off.

Comment

Working...
                    X