How do you pronounce ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you pronounce ?

Here's an idea for random-osity - a thread on how you pronounce or say something.. an acronym, or a name or something.. etc.

for instance to start with these:

ISA - I usually say eye suh but I know people who say ih suh (as in the word 'it' but without the Tee sound on the end if that makes sense)
    and still others who call it eye ses ay

SQL - Depending on my mood, I might use SQL or sequel (as in the sequel to the movie)

WSUS/SUS/US - whatever acronym is being used now:P
    I use either update services or sus as in 'sus'pect
    I know someone who calls it double-ewe soose though....
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Re: How do you pronounce ?

Interesting thread. How about someone posts their pronunciation and the others try to guess what it is? Not quite appropriate for a regular forum post but maybe in the Misc forum.

Comment

oh crap.. I didn't mean for this to be in the annoucements group...
      Could someone move it to a more appropriate subsection ?
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I used to talk about "ess-kew-ell" but was (forcibly) reeducated to use "sekwell"
        Don't know about "eye-sa"
        And always use "double-ewe-sus" for the update product

How about IMHO -- its always "imm-ho" for me?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Stawell. This is a town in Victoria OZ, so Oztralians are not hell age a bill to enter.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

My peers often picked up on my pronunciation of the word 'Domain'. Apparently, I do it the American way of 'DoeMain' rather than English (UK) way of 'DerMain', if this makes sense.

Comment

I'm generally in the eye-sa and sekwell camp. How about Vista? Some people pronounce it Veesta.

And I reckon Ossian is about the only guy on the forum who can pronounce my username correctly.
              BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
              sigpic
              Cruachan's Blog

Comment

But dont ask me to do a phonetic spelling!

Actually, I'm a Sassenach who escaped to God's Own Country about 20 years ago, so not really a "true Scot"
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
                  My peers often picked up on my pronunciation of the word 'Domain'. Apparently, I do it the American way of 'DoeMain' rather than English (UK) way of 'DerMain', if this makes sense.
                  actually i use 'doemain' as well

What about router ?

row-ter or root-er ? :P
                  (clearly it's row-ter!)

Comment

SUSE linux is an interesting pronunciation. I originally pronounced it "soos" as in Dr. Suse. Then I heard the Novell engineers pronounce it "Soo-say" or "Soo-suh" Linux. Then there's Ubuntu. I won't go there because I haven't been able to find the way out of that maze yet. Linux itself has some pronunciation controversy. Some pronounce it "Lie-nucks" which annoys me to no end. It's "lih-nucks" people! *sigh*

Another oddity I've noticed over the last year is that people, at least in America, tend to refer to Windows Vista as "the Vista". As in, "What's your opinion on the Vista?" Me: "Not bad, but I think if you cleaned your windows and trimmed that hedge it'd be much better". It's uncanny how many people refer to it in that way.

The imbroglio concerning how to pronounce SQL has produced some heated flames on the intertubes. Most people say "ess-que-ell" is the most proper form and that Microsoft bastardized the whole thing with it's "Evil Incarnation of a Standard". Whatever. It saddens me when I see what insignifcant things we humans can feel justified in condescending other with. "You pronounced it ehth-ernet?? It's Eee-thernet you unworthy-to-breath-my-air TOAD!"
                    Wesley David
                    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                    -------------------------------
                    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
                    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
                    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
                      actually i use 'doemain' as well

What about router ?

row-ter or root-er ? :P
                      (clearly it's row-ter!)
                      It most certainly is not. A row-ter is a woodworking tool, a roo-ter is a bridge between subnets.
                      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                      sigpic
                      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                        But dont ask me to do a phonetic spelling!

Actually, I'm a Sassenach who escaped to God's Own Country about 20 years ago, so not really a "true Scot"
                        I didn't know you lived in New Zealand!
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
                          It most certainly is not. A row-ter is a woodworking tool, a roo-ter is a bridge between subnets.
                          A rooter is a nickname for the person that secretly has an admin account on all your boxes at work.

*goes back to reading cruachan's email*

Wesley David
                          LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                          -------------------------------
                          Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                          Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
                          Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
                          Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
                            Till you get to Oz m8 and a row-ter is a bridge between networks and a roo-ter is ... well we won't go there lol.

Still get caught out many times on that one.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
                              Till you get to Oz m8 and a row-ter is a bridge between networks and a roo-ter is ... well we won't go there lol.

Still get caught out many times on that one.
                              It's always been a roo-ter for me

Slightly off topic, but apparently the Australian trade name for "sticky tape" is (or used to be) the same as a well known brand of male contraceptive product in the UK
                              Tom Jones
                              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                              IT Trainer / Consultant
                              Ossian Ltd
                              Scotland

Comment

Working...
                              X