Useful geeky link, 5-in-1 network admins cable

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Useful geeky link, 5-in-1 network admins cable

Apologies if this has been posted before, I did search first.

I've recently been working with some Cisco Pix 501s, various Netgear devices and a couple of HP Procurve switches. This has led to me adding a Null modem cable and Cisco console cable to my already very heavy bag of tricks alongside a standard network cable and a crossover adapter.

Found this link which covers all of my bases with just one network cable and a few custom adapters. I actually had all of the parts lying around from various lots of parts bought from ebay so all it cost me was time and my bag is now at least a little bit lighter.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Re: Useful geeky link, 5-in-1 network admins cable

I had something similar problem is that bulky serial adapter didn't fit my laptop. I had to break off the plastic to get it to fit.

Comment

Thanks for sharing. I'll come back to this when I find the need for it. Did the instructions work perfectly for you or do you have anything to add?
      Wesley David
      LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
      -------------------------------
      Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
      Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
      Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
      Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

I couldn't get hold of the crimp pins, so I just chopped and soldered the existing wires to get the right pinout. Apart from that it was dead easy to make and works fine. Depending on how many wires are in them you could probably modify the old style Cisco rolled cables with the adapters before they started shipping the moulded ones.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
        X