Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Workplace bullying or career sabotage; ever experienced it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workplace bullying or career sabotage; ever experienced it?

I get email newsletters from BNet.com and also like to peruse the site for my regular dose of management and business information. It seems that two of the most common topics on the site concern workplace bullying and the sabotage of your career by a coworker (mostly by a peer or a manager). I've never experienced this (or I have and I'm too naive to notice... which seems to be just as good as if it never happened and maybe even better ). I'd like to know from the folks here:
    • Have you ever experienced workplace bullying?
    • Has a coworker tried to sabotage your career?
    • How did you handle those things and what was the outcome?

It seems to me that while the overall problem would be the same for IT workers, some of the tactics that would be used might be different. Especially if a coworker is trying to sabotage your work, how would you explain the technical subtleties that would prove that you were being sabotaged to a non-technical manager, executive or HR worker? Also, if you experience workplace bullying, IT workers would tend to have more powerful ways of retaliating (Oh... you didn't want those emails between you and your mistress published on the company intranet? Oops.) and as a result we might have a more difficult time in refraining from stooping to that level.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Nonapeptide; 3rd April 2009, 17:59. Reason: Infernal spelling errors!
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Re: Workplace bullying or career sabotage; ever experienced it?

I tend to be very blunt and outspoken. If it smells like crap and looks like crap I say "That's crap". Sometimes my approach doesn't go over very well in the highly political business world and as a result I've had people throw me under the bus on a few occasions. My approach is always the same: It doesn't matter what they say or what they do, if I can go home at night and look my wife and kids in the eyes and not be ashamed of anything I did or said then to hell with everybody else. There are a few things I try to maintain in every situation:

1. Honesty
    2. Professionalism
    3. Personal Accountabilty and Responsibility
    4. Patience and Respect

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
      I tend to be very blunt and outspoken. If it smells like crap and looks like crap I say "That's crap". Sometimes my approach doesn't go over very well in the highly political business world and as a result I've had people throw me under the bus on a few occasions. My approach is always the same: It doesn't matter what they say or what they do, if I can go home at night and look my wife and kids in the eyes and not be ashamed of anything I did or said then to hell with everybody else. There are a few things I try to maintain in every situation:

1. Honesty
      2. Professionalism
      3. Personal Accountabilty and Responsibility
      4. Patience and Respect
      Erm i think thats why i've not stepped up the ladder too quickly.

Blunt and straight to the point i am and i don't care who it hurts. I can be very diplomatic when i need to be though.

I've experinced bullying, or should i say attempted bullying, once when i was just a whipersnapper. Got dragged into a room with an older chap and lets just say i was lucky to still have my job at the end of it. His nose however was a little less fortunate

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
        Blunt and straight to the point i am and i don't care who it hurts. I can be very diplomatic when i need to be though.
        I'm sure your Scottish accent adds some charm to things even as your screaming wildly at a person.

I've experinced bullying, or should i say attempted bullying, once when i was just a whipersnapper. Got dragged into a room with an older chap and lets just say i was lucky to still have my job at the end of it. His nose however was a little less fortunate
        Things like that happen sometimes when you take the last coffee creamer.
        Wesley David
        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide

Comment

Originally posted by Nonapeptide View Post
          I'm sure your Scottish accent adds some charm to things even as your screaming wildly at a person.
          I think my size and tattoos are also a bit of a put off for many folks lol.

Things like that happen sometimes when you take the last coffee creamer.
          You'll know i never did take it again

Comment

Like wullieb1 said, I also haven't stepped up the ladder too far or fast as a result of my business and communication "style". I'm in a position of relative autonomy and there are several junior level support people who I "direct" but I'm not their boss and I'm not a manager. I'm a nominal part of the management team, but it's more ceremonial than anything else and my boss does it to keep me from seeking employment elsewhere. I do understand my own limitations and work hard to balance my desire to move up with the realization that I may be at the peak already.

In my career I've often wondered aghast at how certain managers could live with themselves having to play the politics and such and then I say to myself that maybe it's a good thing I haven't moved up because then maybe I'd have to do the same things. At the end of the day, my wife and kids think I'm OK and that's all that matters.

Comment

Funny you posted that wullieb1, I've got several large, conspicuous tattos and sometimes I think there's a bit of discrimination and feelings of intimidation on the part of others as a result.

Comment

Funny you posted that wullieb1, I've got several large, conspicuous tattos and sometimes I think there's a bit of discrimination and feelings of intimidation on the part of others as a result.
                Large and conspicuous are an understatement with me bud.

So far my tatts consist of 2 almost complete arm sleeves, 1 half leg sleeve, 1 big back piece, 2 chest plates and i ain't stopping there.

Have an idea for my ribs but don't have the spare cash to get it done at the mo. All me money is getting pumped into my quest for permanent residency in Australia.

Comment

OK, you've got me beat. I have 6 tattoos: 3 on one arm, two on the other, and one on my hand (a bit of adolescent bravado). No half or full sleeves, no chest, leg, back, or other body part tattoos.

Too be honest, I'm a little scared now.

Comment

Large and conspicuous are an understatement with me bud.
                    Imagine going to the server room and seeing this.
                    Wesley David
                    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

Imagine going to the server room and seeing this.
                      Actually there is quite a bit of time, money, thought and effort went into that.

Personally though not my thing. I can wear a long sleeved shirt at work and no-one would ever know i had them. Most of the time though i wear a company polo shirt.

Comment

Too be honest, I'm a little scared now.
                        Don't be scared lol. I'm really a nice guy when i want to be

Comment

Don't be scared lol. I'm really a nice guy when i want to be
                          hmmm never noticed it
                          Marcel
                          Technical Consultant
                          Netherlands
                          http://www.phetios.com
                          http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                          "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                          "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

I had a DC that gave me a hard time but /forceremoval soon brought it down to size.
                            1 1 was a racehorse.
                            2 2 was 1 2.
                            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                            X