Back on the p-forums

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back on the p-forums

Back in Israel for a few months now, got a great job, and a bit of free time on my hands

So what have I missed?
    Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Re: Back on the p-forums

Welcome back!
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

thanks

Comment

Welcome back...
        Good to see you again
        Marcel
        Technical Consultant
        Netherlands
        http://www.phetios.com
        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

good to be back btw, I can see that non MS systems were not added to the forum topic list after all, or do I need to wipe my glasses?

Comment

Nice to see you back. I was just wondering about where you had gone. The recent forum post concerning that fellow's Fedora box reminded me of you and also made me wish you were back... nice timing for your return.
            Wesley David
            LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
            -------------------------------
            Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
            Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
            Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
            Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

oh yeah, I've already posted some suggestions over there

btw, coming back to my fave OS, my current job is all about mixing Linux and MS systems in one environment

the way things are looking, I think Daniel will not be able to keep non MS operating systems out of the forum soon

Comment

I don't think that there's a Petri forums policy to try to keep them out, just that there's not much demand on the forums for Linux. It's a bit of a conundrum though... which comes first, the linux questions to encourage the linux forum or the linux forum to encourage the linux questions. I just try to "keep the ball in the air" when a Linux question comes up since Linux and Windows are increasing being forced to cohabitate. Although I had to abandon my linux network monitoring station project just recently. It's a shame too, Groundwork looked like a good product.
                Wesley David
                LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide

Comment

It might come, but will it attract enough experts and users for those forums?
                  Marcel
                  Technical Consultant
                  Netherlands

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE

Comment

definitely does look like an interesting product
                    is it a wrapper over nagios, plus some additional goodies, or something more of a standalone solution? what do you use to monitor windows services? what language are the scripts written in?

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
                      It might come, but will it attract enough experts and users for those forums?
                      we'll never know, unless we try, right?

Comment

Probably.
                        Daniel is currently away for a couple of weeks but he probably might contact you
                        Marcel
                        Technical Consultant
                        Netherlands

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
                          Probably.
                          Daniel is currently away for a couple of weeks but he probably might contact you
                          well, he is quite welcome to

there are other topics that might be interesting to IT professionals, and which are not represented here atm

Comment

Originally posted by DYasny View Post
                            definitely does look like an interesting product
                            is it a wrapper over nagios, plus some additional goodies, or something more of a standalone solution?
                            It was so long ago whenI looked into it and so much has happened since that time that I can't even remember. I looked into Nagios itself but was put off by not having autodiscovery features. Yes, I've heard all the reasons why autodiscovery is supposedly a Bad Thing (or at least not a Good Thing) and I don't agree with it. When I realized that I was trying to figure out how to run nmap on a cronjob to spit out XML and then consume it via a Python/Ruby script back into Nagios I started questioning Nagio's usability. OpenNMS seemed to be my favorite. But I readily admit that I didn't get too terribly deep into the world of network monitoring before I had to abandon the project.
                            Wesley David
                            LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

well, it does seems like a very interesting project, for me at least, thanks for pointing me to the project website

Comment

Working...
                              X