Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell Customer Service... moan...

Hello,

Just wondered what the people’s experience of Dell customer service is like where you are?

I used to work in the UK for a large enterprise and they Dell were great! Well trained staff, quick service, well usually!

Recently I have moved to Australia (hardly 3rd world) and am now self-employed and working for small business's, or what Dells calls small business i.e. less than 400 employees!!! Now even by UK standards up to 400 people is NOT small business so why does it deserve a different class of service or is this just Australia?

On two occasions recently Dell have sent the wrong servers, simple issues like they sent tower 2900's instead of rack mount and one consignment was missing the rails. No biggie these things happen right! But no, this is where I start getting frustrated. It took me 3 months of talking to call centre staff who just didn't know how to handle my call. The line quality was terrible, the staff spoke with very heavy English dialect which I struggled to understand and there was absolutely no diversion from the script to help resolve my issues. Right from the word go the sales consultant didn't even know what a RAID5 with hot spare was. It was a nightmare and took 3 whole months to resolve. I tried to file an official complaint over the phone but they couldn’t even direct that, the only address I could find to send a letter too was in the UK. Unbelievable!
    Last edited by Rednet; 9th February 2009, 03:56.

Re: Dell Customer Service... moan...

We only ever contact Dell through our account manager. And since they just laid off a bunch of account managers, he's more than happy to please

I once had a Dell laptop. Got rid of it pretty soon... quality of construction wasn't adequate. As a consumer, don't expect to get any support from them.

So just as you always go through an account manager for sales (who pays the website price?), you always go through an account manager for support.

And if he values his job, he'll jump through hoops for you
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Haa haa haa welcome to the third world m8.

Have you tired using the website to log calls rather than actually phoning them???

Trust me being a Scotsman trying to speak to an Indian/Aussie on the phone is horrendous.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
        Have you tired using the website to log calls rather than actually phoning them???
        But if you phone them you can break their spirit. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/01...et_an_upgrade/ http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/10...hardware_call/

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
        Trust me being a Scotsman trying to speak to an Indian/Aussie on the phone is horrendous.
        Our account manager is Scottish

But the sort of Scottish where you can understand what he's saying
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
          But if you phone them you can break their spirit. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/01...et_an_upgrade/ http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/10...hardware_call/

Our account manager is Scottish

But the sort of Scottish where you can understand what he's saying
          He's been out the country a while then

I went back to Scotland for 2 weeks 3 months ago and its only just now that folks are starting to undrstand me again lol.

Comment

Anybody want to post a Youtube link to a clip of Al Murry describing the four different types of Scottish accent? We're between proxies at the moment so relying on OpenDNS... one rule for all
            Gareth Howells

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkDYo...ext=1&index=20

Comment

"Different levels of Jockery, and different degrees of Jocklitude."

Classic
                Gareth Howells

Comment

I used to work for Dell tech support in Glasgow. Most common opening line from customers "Thank God I'm through to someone in England." Sorry, you still aren't. Usually followed by "Oh, I meant Ireland"

Going through your Account Manager for support is all very well if he/she knows their stuff. Sadly most of them didn't when I worked there and expected techies to clean up their mess. As gforceindustries said though the ones remaining are much more careful and eager to please.

Going on the subject of scottishness, I was watching some youtube clips last night of The Big Man from Chewin the Fat. Classic stuff.
                  BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                  sigpic
                  Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
                    As gforceindustries said though the ones remaining are much more careful and eager to please.
                    I've told ours that if he goes to another company, let us know and chances are we'll start buying from them. Jumping through hoops is fine, but he's been eager to please since long before the economy collapsed.
                    Gareth Howells

Comment

I use to love Dell in all ways...02-04 supported all the computers which were Dell. 07-08 I worked again w/company I supported had all Dells.
                      The product: whether Latitude, Inspiron, Optiplex etc went down hill with repairs/hardware failure as well as some customer service: Like trying to get them to change default shipping from DHL to UPS or FedEx. I spent 30 hours on the phone just trying to do this, and got no where. CS would say your rep has to, and rep would say CS would.
                      (Technical CS is good, except for last yr with the shipping thing. One overnight part took 3 weeks!!! Thank goodness it was not critical!)
                      For the headache I went through, I will never buy a Dell or recommend anyone too!

Comment

Working...
                      X