Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Australia - Cooking one end, drowning the other.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australia - Cooking one end, drowning the other.

Don't know what sort of coverage this is getting internationally but about 1,000 miles north of where Wullieb1 lives, they are having a drop of rain. In one location it has rained everyday for the last 29 and have gotten some 1,200mm of the wet stuff. They are expecting another 200+mm in the next 2 to 5 days.

Meanwhile about 1,200 miles south of Wullieb1, we are having a heat wave. Temps tomorrow (Saturday here in Melbourne) are expected to be about 44C and 47C in the country areas (called the bush. Don't know why because there isn't any). One good thing about the extreme heat is that it has reduced the population of DropBears and has made it much safer walking under the trees.

We are also in the midst of an 8 or 9 year drought but those greedy people up north are stealing all the water from the south. So much flooding that crocodiles have been reported swiming through the streets of some towns. Whereas down in the heatwave land, Brown Snakes (second most venomous land snake in the world) has been "invading" the country towns and houses in search of water. I had to kill one once as it was about to get into a classroom full of children. Luckily I was wearing my brown trousers so nobody knew how scared I was!!

On the other side of the globe, snow in London. (Maybe Al Gore does have something going for him.) So if you don't like the snow, come to OZ where you can either drown or die from heatstroke OR (and it is cold too! )
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Re: Australia - Cooking one end, drowning the other.

1200 MICKEY MOUSES? OMFG!!! IT'S THE APOCALYPSE!!!

No coverage of it here in FL. Did see an article about the koala though:
    http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,25007478-2,00.html

While I was finding it on digg just now, found this article:
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/animals/ne...ectid=10425714

Apparently locking up female koalas makes them lesbians. Sounds like a really bad women's prison movie...
    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Well the temps seem to have settled in Melbourne and we're getting hotter now.

BTW you weren't anywhere near the fires were you Chris??? Hope all is safe where you are.

Comment

Not the big ones. We did have 2 within 300mts and 500mts (they stopped that one at the back fence where my wife works at a nursing home). Had a bigger one about 2km away where they lost 9 houses but we we never in any danger.

Welcome to OZ Wullie.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Woe, some weather. My Father is seeing family over there at the moment, so hopefully he has it hot.

In England, we had snow that crippled us last week. That's a change for us as it the worst snow in 20 years.

Looks like there has been freak weather in a few places.

Comment

That sort of weather is really not that uncommon here. A couple of years ago Canberra got it and a fire took out 400 houses. Several years earlier floods in Queensland covered 10% of the State. Couple of years before that most of south east Victoria was under water. Vic, NSW and SA have a lot of bushfires. I suppose WA does as well but they are 2,000 miles away so we don't get to hear much about them. Any WA people reading this can add to this please.

Just to give some size perspectives, the UK is about 94,500 square miles. Australia is a tad under 3,000,000 square miles. Whereas New Zealand (a land not populated by English convicts) is about 100,000 square miles.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Are you in one of the effected areas.

Just heard from my partner's american family and the North-West, Seattle etc, Washington State is starting to have snow.

Us English have no real concept of size of your scale. 5 hour drive to Scotland is tedious to us but probably nothing to you. , but worthwhile trip by far as Ossian would agree. Loch Ossian in Scotland a place I visied many times and still do.

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                That sort of weather is really not that uncommon here. A couple of years ago Canberra got it and a fire took out 400 houses. Several years earlier floods in Queensland covered 10% of the State.
                Heard on the news that the bushfires have taken around 170 lifes so far not to mention the injured.
                That must be a horrible final destination. Really feel for those affected.
                I am not quite sure Biggles but that must be quite bad even by Aussie standards.

Ta
                Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual
                  5 hour drive to Scotland is tedious to us but probably nothing to you
                  5 hours driving and you are still in Victoria. From Melbourne to Adelaide is about 10 hours (though I have heard it done in .
                  Melbourne to Sydney 12 hours.
                  Melbourne to Brisbane, I know someone who did it in 22 hours.
                  Melbourne to Perth, 3 days if you have a co driver and don't stop except for fuel.
                  Brisbane to Cairns 16 hours. Last time I drove up there, part of the main road was not even sealed, it was a gravel road and on top of that bloody kangaroos like to bounce in front of your car. This happens on a great many of the roads in all parts of the country. Porcipine quils will even puncuture heavy duty 4WD tyres. That can be annoying. (At least in New Zealand the worst you get is a hedgehog on the road but that squishes quite nicely without causing any damage.)

Check the maps (Google Earth) and see the distances. Driving across Europe is like a day trip. In some of the more isolated communities, the closest shop can be 300+kms away. A 200km drive to go and see someone for the day is not uncommon (plus the 200km drive home again).
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

The brother in law done Brisbane to Melbourne in 16hrs.

We've got that to do in March for the Grand Prix, ya beauty............

Loadsa drink and some half naked women, other than the wife of course

Comment

Oh wow, I wish I was over there with my camera.
                      Shooting kangaroos and other wildlife
                      I do believe that Australia & New Zealand very nice landscapes and wildlife.
                      Marcel
                      Technical Consultant
                      Netherlands
                      http://www.phetios.com
                      http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
                        Shooting kangaroos and other wildlife
                        Aren't they a protected species?!?

I'd stay away from that Kangaroo outfit if I was Biggles77 or WillieB1.
                        Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

From what part didn't you understand that I wish is was there with my camera
                          Bold word is a hint
                          Marcel
                          Technical Consultant
                          Netherlands
                          http://www.phetios.com
                          http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                          "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                          "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
                            The brother in law done Brisbane to Melbourne in 16hrs.

We've got that to do in March for the Grand Prix, ya beauty............

Loadsa drink and some half naked women, other than the wife of course
                            And what would you like on your tombstone?
                            1 1 was a racehorse.
                            2 2 was 1 2.
                            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

It is realy sad about this fire in the Australia, when people lost all what they worked for it by whole their life, and they lost childrens, family and firends.

In each place happend cataclysm :/

Changing subject

I would realy like live in Australia instead the UK. Better weather, more sunny days but spiders, snakes and scorpions :/ and nice clean wother ehh life and not die

each place got advantages and disadvantages

Comment

Working...
                              X