Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buy Petri a laptop! The challenge!

That got your attention, didn't it?

I'll be staying in the USA (Seattle/Redmond for a week, NYC for the second week) in the beginning of March.

I am looking to buy myself a replacement for my (excellent) Dell XPS M1210 laptop I've been using for 99% of my work, office, home and travel.

Laptop must be:

Light - no more than 3 Kg
    Fast, Core 2 Duo, at least 2.3 Ghz
    A lot or RAM, at least 4 GB, fast RAM
    A big HD, and fast, at least 200 GB 7200 RPM
    Wifi, BT, DVD burner, built-in camera, all the rest.

So I started looking and I found a Dell offer. I like Dell, so I have enclosed the details.

Question - is this price right? Can I get if for a lower price (anyone with a dealer account?) Can I find a better deal for a different brand? Can anyone help me get a better deal?

This is your time to influence! I will be using YOUR recommendation for the next year!
    Attached Files
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Re: Buy Petri a laptop! The challenge!

Do yourself a favour and buy a Macbook Pro. They are not cheap but good.
    Well at least check it out.

The type I have was tested by a dutch magazine about 1 1/2 year ago and it was the fastest machine running Vista
    While I'm using it for about 1 1/2 I like it much more then my newer Dell 830.
    It's simple, fast, stable and you don't even need to think about defragging it

I reinstalled the notebook once.
    I bought Leopard. Although I could upgrade it from Tiger to Leopard, Microsoft minded as I am, I made the choice to reinstall it.

Ps, Indeed you got my attention. I first thought that you bought nice presents (laptops) for the mods
    Last edited by Dumber; 3rd February 2009, 21:28.
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Laptops can be quite personal I find. I got a HP 6715b from work a while back. It runs really well although is a bit heavy and have been a fan of their business kit for a while.
      cheers
      Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Daniel,

I have that laptop and have had it for about a year. Fantastic laptop. I love it. Lightweight, good screen quick, once you get rid of the Dell crap on it and it looks good lol.

Its getting its motherboard replaced in the next couple of days as its overheating a bit and has a problem with the card reader but i think they are common problems.

Mine is a first revision laptop though so hopefully yours will have ironed out these problems.

Just as an offshoot though have you had a look at the Dell outlet for prices on that config??? I waited for mine to come up and got it almost a third off the price. Mine ended up being AU$1500 rather than AU$2200.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
          Just as an offshoot though have you had a look at the Dell outlet for prices on that config??? I waited for mine to come up and got it almost a third off the price. Mine ended up being AU$1500 rather than AU$2200.
          Give me some details on the outlet. Where, when, how.

Oh, and BTW, they seem to have some nice discounts - 50$ for the memory, 100% for the HD, and 229$ for the XPS model.
          Last edited by danielp; 3rd February 2009, 22:53.
          Cheers,

Daniel Petri
          MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Here you go.

http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineS...%20M1330&s=dfh

They are laptops that have been returned to Dell for reason ranging from unwanted orders to customers reporting minor problems with them and returning to Dell. They are all refurbished and come with warranty on them. They are however in very high demand and will sell out really quickly. From memory it was a Wednesday in Australia when i got mine.

Comment

Yeah, I'm there now. Thanks.

So, anyone else have a better idea? Remember, I will be using YOUR recommended laptop for the next year!!!
              Cheers,

Daniel Petri
              MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

I like Dell laptops, I use a Latitude D420 in the house and when my HP laptop at work is due for replacement I'll be looking for an E4300 I think.

The trouble with Dell though is that their products lines are all aimed at a specific niche and specced/priced accordingly. E.g. you only used to be able to get gigabit LAN on Optiplexes and Latitudes as they are the business lines.

I've always considered the XPS line to be massively overpriced as they are supposedly "gamer oriented" systems. Getting all the features you want from Dell might be tricky apart from this system though - a Latitude may have more power in places and be cheaper but built in cameras are poor quality if they have them at all, and the small Latitudes like the E4200 and E4300 will only take 4gb of RAM max.

Edit: E4300 specs say 8gb, but you can only choose 4gb when trying to order. Weird.
                Last edited by cruachan; 4th February 2009, 01:14.
                BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                sigpic
                Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Damn, I thought it said Buy Petri a Lapdance. $50 for the RAM would be good.

Originally posted by Wullie
                  http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineS...%20M1330&s=dfh
                  The HDDs appear to be 5,400 rpm and not the required 7,200 to I am sure you could purchase one and install it yourself.

MacBook Pro is not a valid suggestion Marcel when you consider what applications Daniel works with most.

How about a Quad Core unit? http://www.engadget.com/2008/09/22/d...6gb-of-memory/

This one is a bit heavy. http://apcmag.com/quadcore__in_a_notebook.htm

As is this one. http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9761814-7.html
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                    The HDDs appear to be 5,400 rpm and not the required 7,200 to I am sure you could purchase one and install it yourself.
                    That unfortunately is the thing with the outlet, you don't get to specify what you want. You get a list to choose from and its just a case of waiting until your spec shows or not.

I ended up lucky and got a top of the range one with all the toys for mucho cheapness.

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                      MacBook Pro is not a valid suggestion Marcel when you consider what applications Daniel works with most.
                      I disagree.
                      You can do a multiboot with Bootcamp, you can use wine to run windows apps (if you really want to) or you can use parallels and/or Vmware fusion.
                      I can do anything with my mac, what I do for my job on my Dell 830.
                      It's more stable, faster, simple uses TCP/IP (so no appletalk) and thre is even A RDC from Microsoft available.

I can't name one thing what I can only do on Windows which I can't perform on my mac either virtual or physical.
                      It supports Wireless 11n, it can do 802.1x etcetc.
                      Marcel
                      Technical Consultant
                      Netherlands

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE

Comment

I would second the suggestion of a Macbook Pro. If the budget won't stretch that far, I only ever recommend Lenovo laptops purely because of the exceptional build quality. Dell build their laptops as well as they build their desktops, when they need to be built just a little bit better. The Lenovo SL500 series fits your requirements perfectly.

I used to break a laptop a year (usually the hinge fails) until I started using Lenovo.
                        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I'd definitely recommend the MacBook or MacBook Pro based on those specs.

I'm a Windows and have been for years .... or should I say, had been for years and then I bought a MacBook. It was in about the same price range that my work Sony Viao was but I vastly prefer the Apple offering to the Sony one to the point that I've hardly used the Sony over the last few weeks even for windows support jobs.

Looking at the hardware alone I think you'll struggle to get a better package. Even if you upgrade the RAM and HDD yourself post purchase to save money you're still on to a winner. I jumped to 4Gb of RAM + 500Gb HDD for about 100 and about 30 mins of work followed by leaving it imaging over to the new drive overnight. Much easier to do than the windows machines I've done similar to be honest.
                          This message represents the official view of the voices in my head

Comment

Thank guys for all your comments.

2 things:

Sony laptops are amazing, yet they break very easily and we have a very bad service for them, if any, here in Israel. So no Sony Vio...

MACs look great, work great, and feel great. I, however, will be probably running an MS OS, and not a MAC OS. I need to work with MS stuff, that's what I do for a living, and I cannot jump through hoops just so I can run some application that simply doesn't run natively on MAC. I need to be on top of things, and running a MAC with bootcamp or Fusion just so I can do what I am used to doing daily - seems a bit odd. So, if I get one of these awsome MAC laptops I will probably end up formatting it and running Vista (bahhhhh ) or whatever, probably Windows 2008 as a workstation at least till Windows 7 is RTM.

So what's the point in getting a MAC? The hardware is fine, but can I get 8 GB or RAM? Can I get a 250 GB Solid State HD with it? And if I do, how much will I have to pay for it?

So right now I found this:

XPS M1330
                            Intel Core 2 Duo T9500 (2.6GHz, 800Mhz, 6M L2 Cache)
                            8GB, DDR2, 800MHz 2 Dimm
                            Slim and Light LED Display with VGA Webcam
                            128MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
                            256GB Dell High Performance Solid State Hard Drive, 2.5MM
                            Microsoft Windows Vista with SP1 Home Premium Edition 64-bit Edition English
                            8X DVD+/-RW Slot Load Drive
                            Dell Wireless 1505 Wireless-N Mini-card
                            85 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
                            Price for all this, including 3 years CompleteCare Accidental DamageProtection and 3 years LoJack Theft Recovery Softwarefor and 3 years At Home Service with Nights and Week ends, 24x7 Technical Support - ~$2400 plus tax.

What do you think? Can I get something similar/better from Lenovo/Mac?
                            Last edited by danielp; 4th February 2009, 21:53.
                            Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                            MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Like I said before, a lot of it depends on your budget
                              But what windows applications do you need to run natively?
                              I'm curious about this because this could help deciding you

However, Macs are expensive, but more stylish and lighter then those ugly Dells
                              Last edited by Dumber; 4th February 2009, 22:27.
                              Marcel
                              Technical Consultant
                              Netherlands

Comment

Working...
                              X