Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I the only person who hates the phrase "cloud computing" and it's variants?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I the only person who hates the phrase "cloud computing" and it's variants?

I don't know why, but this phrase brings out my Scottishness. One of our customers used it the other day clearly not knowing what they were talking about and I must confess to being shocked by my own language after I got off the phone to him.

I know it's just the latest buzzword, and non-techies use it to pretend they know more than they actually do, and I also know that my hatred is irrational, but I felt the need to vent.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Re: Am I the only person who hates the phrase "cloud computing" and it's variants?

Here is a "me too" post.

Intercourse (I'm being polite) the Cloud!!

The other one I hate is when all these unreality TV gameshow participants (and other wankers) refer to their Journey. Bloody boofheads.

Another well over used word. I also hate Powerful when it refers to software. The Microsoft calculator has some powerful features. Oh what crap!

And it is Cruachan fault this post is here. He has caused the start of my Powerful Journey into the Cloud.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Re: Am I the only person who hates the phrase "cloud computing" and it's variants?

I say we start calling it Teh Interblag.
      Wesley David
      LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
      -------------------------------
      Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
      Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
      Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
      Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

$%&@ cloud computing and AJAX

1. bundle two or more mature technologies and call it something else
        2. ???
        3. profit

Comment

I really don't understand why are you complaining...
          "Cloud computing" is a term that describes some black box with a lot of things inside, that no one really knows what it does and how it does it ...
          So, wouldn't you expect that people that talk about it, don't have any idea what it is ?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
            a term that describes some black box with a lot of things inside, that no one really knows what it does and how it does it ...
            But this covers all PCs, doesnt it
            (OK, change black to beige...)
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

On an only slightly related side-note: My coworkers and I were discussing "The Cloud" and on a whim I decided to type www.TheCloud.com into a web browser. We had a giggle over what happened next.

Hmmmm... you need a username and password to enter "The Cloud". I wonder what goes on behind that curtain of mist...
              Wesley David
              LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
              Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
              Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide

Comment

Originally posted by Nonapeptide View Post
                On an only slightly related side-note: My coworkers and I were discussing "The Cloud" and on a whim I decided to type www.TheCloud.com into a web browser. We had a giggle over what happened next.

Hmmmm... you need a username and password to enter "The Cloud". I wonder what goes on behind that curtain of mist...
                I manged to get in but couldn't see anything .... too misty

On a more serious note, I don't think is that bad i.e in the following context:
                In a school environment where hundreds of applications are used it can be a bit of a pain sometimes to manage all those and the updates, patches that comes with it.
                I know software management solutions do come handy in this case but is by far an ideal solution.
                A few software vendors are offering SaaS (Software as a service) (Sorry Buzzword haters ) which is quite good as they provide the service through the "Cloud" and all we need to do is just add the URL in their favorites (Lazyman's solution).
                Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Originally posted by L4ndy
                  couldn't see anything .... too misty
                  So you could say you mist it. What a fogging disappointment.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

All Hail the punster! I forecast a shower of comments raining down on you!
                    Tom Jones
                    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

It's no good as I am not going to pour anymore comments into this stream of posts so as not to cloud the original topic.
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                        It's no good as I am not going to pour anymore comments into this stream of posts so as not to cloud the original topic.
                        I don't believe you're cirrus.
                        Wesley David
                        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

Another well over used word. I also hate Powerful when it refers to software. The Microsoft calculator has some powerful features

What about the ol ASUS logo?

http://www.ad-titude.com/images/posts/140-1.jpg

Heart touching? Imagine taking your client over to show them the latest Asus switch you have put in. Of course they dont know what the hell it is, but out of interest you ask :

"Jim, what do you think about that device over there?"

"Well, I dont know what the hell it is, but damn its touching my heart just looking at it".

Comment

Originally posted by Nonapeptide View Post
                            I don't believe you're cirrus.
                            This is getting on the virga of ridiculous.

Originally posted by mobius2011
                            ......but damn its touching my heart just looking at it".
                            As in "I can't get any XP driver for my nice new Vista laptop that runs like crap and it is giving me a heart attack" sort of touching my heart?
                            1 1 was a racehorse.
                            2 2 was 1 2.
                            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                              This is getting on the virga of ridiculous.
                              We've already acumulused quite a bit of puns as it is. Should we stop here or keeping adding them to the pileus?
                              Wesley David
                              LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

Working...
                              X