Sillyest thing you have ever done as an Admin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sillyest thing you have ever done as an Admin

We have all made mistakes in our time but what's the worst thing you have done and thought "I really wish I hadn't done that!"

I'll wait and see what other people have done before telling you mine!
    Server 2000 MCP
    Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

I compressed a bunch of old files into a zip and placed them onto a dvd then deleted the files. I checked the dvd to make sure the data was good but apparently the zip file was corrupt - doh!

After migrating to Win2003 from NT I pissed off a lot of people including upper execs because I forced a password reset and increased password complexity requirements from 4 characters (WTF?) to Win2003 default, then refused to "change it back".
    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

I was creating a policy to roll-out software. We didn't have a test environment, so I was creating it on the live system and set up a test user that was to get the policy. So far so good, then it all went pear shaped. I forgot to change the filter from Authenticated Users to this specific user, so it rolled it out to several machines before I noticed it.

Spent the rest of the day manually going around and fixing each machine...Oh the joys of a test environment.

Comment

Whilst removing old users from our Exchange server, I managed to not look at the prompts confirming the users' name and ended up deleting a senior managers email instead.

What a plank! I can't believe I was so stupid!

I am now ridiculously paranoid when it comes to deleted users, be it Exchange or network accounts!!!

Comment

i can't remember anything..
          maybe it put it away, and i don't want to remember it
          Marcel
          Technical Consultant
          Netherlands
          http://www.phetios.com
          http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
          "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
          "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Not really Silly or Stupid, but really unfortunate. I was increasing the disk storage of our 3DCAD unix Server, Could not do it on the fly so i backed up the days work at 6.00 pm, took till 10.30. No probs. Broke down the array, added the extra disks, recreated the voulume and checked everything was okay. Time=10.59pm, i thought, just get a cup of tea. When i returned all i could hear was the tape drive whirring away running the 11.00pm scheduled back up on the tapes i had done the 6.00pm back up to. Too late, all dat gone. Lucky i had the days before tapes, we only lost 1 days work.

Could have been a lot worse..
            ________
            vaporizer reviews
            Last edited by Richie; 19th January 2011, 19:42.

Comment

I have created a new policy about the password security, you know it's complex strong password setting. after that, whatever i have typed for the password, it appears" the password can not meet the setting, please try again", it really drives me creazy.
              I had to remove this policy at last

Comment

pretty dumb

Well, i can only think of 2.

1. I told the army that i knew something about computers. Now im the workhorse for our task force. You wouldnt belive some of the requests i get.

2. I didnt directly do this one. I was implamenting Vertitas Backup to remotely back up some of our imporatant people (COL, Majors) (Yes im in the Army). I told my CPT that i was in the test phase and not to mention it to everyone otherwise they will stop backing up their stuff up. (Not that they really did before) Well, he tells everyone and low and behold the Highest ranking person in our BN's Computer craps the bed. So he asks me to restore his files. I give him the blank stare and tell him that i dont have his stuff. Needless to say he was not happy.

So i spent the whole weekend running recovery software trying to get some of his files back.!! The dumb part was not telling the CPT to figure it out on his own since he wanted to make brownie points with the Highers!!
                SPC Passaro, Vincent
                A+, Security+, MCP Server 2000

STRIKE HOLD!!
                AIRBORNE ALL THE WAY!!

Comment

Well Vincent, weren't you Marines ever told never to volunteer for anything. This refers to information as well.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Particulary in the showers.....
                    Server 2000 MCP
                    Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

Comment

True!!

Very true statement. By the way im no Jar-Head. Im a Paratrooper in the 82nd ABN. Yet another prime example of voulnteering for crap. Like jumping out of a perfectly good airplane...
                      SPC Passaro, Vincent

STRIKE HOLD!!
                      AIRBORNE ALL THE WAY!!

Comment

Re: True!!

Originally posted by zcrxsir88
                        Very true statement. By the way im no Jar-Head. Im a Paratrooper in the 82nd ABN. Yet another prime example of voulnteering for crap. Like jumping out of a perfectly good airplane...
                        Yes I know you are airborne. Kiwis and Aussies are the best shit stirrers in the world, that is why a Marine would be called a sailor (that really gets them going)

I flew your civilian counterparts over dropzones. I especially liked the way they would scream if the engine ran rough just after takeoff. No altitude to jump. Hehehehe.

Do you guys play FRAPSLOTTO on the DZ?
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Never heard of that game. What is it might have to try it!! Our jumps are usually at night. and full combat equipment. After being rigged up for 5 hours + were pretty wiped. We only jump at 800 feet. Usually after we jump, we assamble and try and sleep..haha Or we walk back home from the DZ.
                          SPC Passaro, Vincent

STRIKE HOLD!!
                          AIRBORNE ALL THE WAY!!

Comment

Re: True!!

Originally posted by zcrxsir88
                            Yet another prime example of voulnteering for crap. Like jumping out of a perfectly good airplane...
                            Come on Vincent !
                            Where else would you have a chance to get some hard-ball/I am da MAN/Mr. Coolness pictures ???

And when I jumped out of perfectly good airplain I enjoyed every second !
                            (well... that was in California and it was AFF jump from 18K feet )
                            Attached Files
                            Guy Teverovsky
                            "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

True, Got alot of good pictures. But i invite you to jump the way we do. 800 NFT. Full combat quipment (70lb+ rucksak. I have jumped 120, Weapon, NVG's, etc) With a T-10D (non-steerable parachute) Basicly the same thing as what was jumped in WWII. At night mass attack. Average rate of decent is 20 Feet per second. I have some video from our last jump. Wish i could post it.
                              SPC Passaro, Vincent

STRIKE HOLD!!
                              AIRBORNE ALL THE WAY!!

Comment

Working...
                              X