Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your best GPO's

Hey guys...

Just wondering... what are your 5 most important/favorite GPO's...

If we all could post our own top 5 list i'm sure some of us could get some fresh ideas and input... I'm fairly new to GPO's so I would sure like to see what you guys use GPO's for...

My list:

1. Restricted groups
    2. Setting permissions on "home" and "profiles" so I can scan the users folders
    3. Company Wallpaper
    4. WSUS GPO
    5. Software upgrades
    Greetings from
    Petter C.
    Norway

Re: Your best GPO's

That's a good list, for what it's worth we also tend to use:

1. Startup/login scripts (i.e. for login scripts we tend to use GPO rather than the user account's properties)
    2. Disable control panel
    3. Wallpaper
    4. Hide local disk drives from Explorer
    5. Folder redirection

I'm sure we use many more but that's a startoff.
    Best wishes,
    PaulH.
    MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Moved to Lounge as it is more of a discussion than a GPO problem.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

The logon script that runs logoff.exe was a good laugh on April Fool's day... just be sure you don't apply it to your domain admins
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
          The logon script that runs logoff.exe was a good laugh on April Fool's day...
          I ran once BlueScreen Screen Saver as logon script, with 1 minute timeout...
          Anyway, torcar... This is a nice way to ask "Guys, what do you think I should put in my first GPO?"
          It depends on your needs. Things relevant for me are not the same for you... And viceversa...
          What I have in my Main GPO?
          - firewall;
          - WSUS;
          - folder redirection;
          - Classic Start Menu;
          - screen saver with its timeout;
          - login scripts with drive mapping.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

Here's my best representation of my favorite GPOs. Although, usually whichever GPO that I just found is my new favorite so this list is subject to change within minutes...

1. Software Restriction Policies (Deny everything! No more malware issues. Now, where's my abacus...)
            2. Folder Redirection Policies (Safeguards data, speeds up recovering a user's data if a computer dies. Vista's new folder redirection policies are the proverbial 'pwn')
            3. Logon / Logoff scripts (So much fun to be had here... if only I knew VBS)
            4. Firewall policies (Nice to be able to edit it en mass)
            5. Custom User Interface (Loads something other than explorer.exe when a user logs in. Great for making kiosk machines. Just load opera, notepad, chess titans etc.)
            Wesley David
            LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
            -------------------------------
            Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
            Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
            Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
            Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Originally posted by Nonapeptide View Post
              Vista's new folder redirection policies are the proverbial 'pwn')
              How so?

WSUS rocks indeed
              ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Wired View Post
                How so?
                This post on Matt Hester's blog has some resources about the new features. There are more user profile folders than can be redirected in Vista. Maybe I'm easily impressed?
                Wesley David
                LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide

Comment

Its just another (ex) spammer
                  Tom Jones
                  MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

And cleaned up
                    Marcel
                    Technical Consultant
                    Netherlands
                    http://www.phetios.com
                    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Well I'm just taking over as Desktops Manager and need to get some things applied across the board rather than in just my local office. We dont use any folder redirection as yet as the directors wouldn't sign off on the expenditure, (/me mutters under breath)....Anyway i digress.. The top 5 GPO's that I'm implementing ASAP are:

* WSUS
                      * Standardised Desktop Environment (Windows Firewall disable, IE homepage, IE favourites to IT internal webpages, disable control panel, add Computer Administrators to all computers, Company background and screensaver.)
                      * Software Deployment (SMS server not published so interim we are deploying software via GPO across our 100 meg lines)
                      * Startup scripts (Mapped drives etc)
                      * And I'm sure these something i'm missing :P but didn't want to put the little meaningless ones

Comment

Originally posted by Armster View Post
                        We dont use any folder redirection as yet as the directors wouldn't sign off on the expenditure
                        What expenditure? Doesn't cost anything to store some folders somewhere else on a server.
                        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
                          What expenditure? Doesn't cost anything to store some folders somewhere else on a server.
                          Unless they need heaps of storage to house everyone's collection of stolen music and movies. It all adds up, you know.
                          Wesley David
                          LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

Yes, but whether they use folder redirection or not, the're still storing the files on the server - folder redirection just determines whether those files are stored as part of the user profile or separately.
                            Gareth Howells

Comment

Now I'm all confuzzled. My assumption was that user profiles in Armster's environment were all local and that the implementation of folder redirection would require locally stored data to be placed on a file server, thus consuming more expensive space. What'd I miss?
                              Wesley David
                              LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

Working...
                              X