IT schools

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IT schools

I was never a very good student, barely made it out of high school, and after a few years of screwin around and a few more years back in college I've got a decent GPA and I feel like I'm getting back on track. I've been going to the local college around here (it's not a community college anymore but still not much) and I feel like I'm ready to move on.

I'm still not too sure what field of IT I want to specialize in (networking or programming), I've been considering MIT or ITT Tech, but I'm just not sure. I was just wondering if as IT professionals you guys could suggest some schools that catch your attention when you grill a young fish like me and his resume.

Re: IT schools

Maybe you should add your location...
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

If you are looking at networking then http://www.trainsignal.com/ is well worth a look. Self study that you can do at your pace. I get so into their Labs that I have even asked the Instructor a question during a video. Funny thing was that he answered it a few minutes later in the Lab.
      It is also cheaper than going to a "school" based course. Purchase one Lab and check it out for yourself.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I have an Associateís degree from ITT-Tech. It was the biggest waste of money, time ($29,000 USD for two years) and something I regret doing. Itís worth nothing and itís possibly a negative mark on my resume.

Do not even consider any tech schools. University of Phoenix, ITT-Tech, DeVry, these are all garbage degree mills.

Go do two years at a Community College then transfer to a University.

Comment

Originally posted by vinsai View Post
          I've been considering MIT or ITT Tech
          MIT and ITT Tech are two vastly different things. When you say MIT, do you mean the MIT? If you can even get accepted into MIT and afford it, you're doing great already!
          Wesley David
          LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
          -------------------------------
          Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
          Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
          Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
          Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

To be honest it wouldn't be the name of a school which caught my attention; most large companies here in the UK have an undergrad program and a graduate recruitment scheme - so it doesn't matter what school you're from. What matters is you - your personality, your affability, your ability to engage in a discussion and be a part of what's going on around you. Also your ability to see, diagnose and solve problems; whether they be technical computing related issues or something more prosaic.

So - brush up on being able to talk to people; get job interviews and practice being passionate about the job you're interviewing for - even if you don't feel it as much as you show it. BUT don't overdo it. Nobody wants you to be massively passionate about washing dishes in a restaurant! LOL

One thing you didn't say; what are you studying in college? What's your "major"?

As well as college, look at entry-level qualifications such as the CompTIA Network Plus and A Plus. You'll have to fund these yourself but if you take one of those jobs you interview for, you should be able to manage.

I'm starting to run out of things I can say without more information....

Tom
            For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

The most impressive IT people i come across never studied for IT in there majors.
              One of them has a PHD in physics.
              [Powershell]
              Start-DayDream
              Set-Location Malibu Beach
              Get-Drink
              Lay-Back
              Start-Sleep
              Wake-Up!
              Resume-Service
              Write-Warning
              [/Powershell]

BLOG: Therealshrimp.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Killerbe View Post
                The most impressive IT people i come across never studied for IT in there majors.
                Definitely true. I'm a little nervous because my major is in education, I had every intention of being an ESOL teacher until pretty recently, but I've realized I already have a lot of skill in a very strong career field. I've taken computer classes in all my electives, after next semester I can turn it around and use those elective credits to get my A.A.S. in computer engineering. Pretty generic, but still a start.

Thanks for all the input though, I don't hang out with a single person who knows anything about computers, just needed some opinions from people who know the field.

Comment

Originally posted by Killerbe View Post
                  That's interesting!

I know several genius computer techies who left school and jumped in to computers in early age and they did it. They can solve server,network related problem quicker. But sad fact is multi national companies dont hire under graduates what so ever. They just prefer to stick with candidates who have a paper with big seal of Batchlor or Masters degree.

I personally like to study on practical scenario's. I dont like to read big Cisco book but yes it's interesting to get a router,switch, internet line and start working on it and solve the puzzles to get connected.

I have applied to some polytechnic colleges in Sinagapore.
                  Now waiting for results. Hope to get there.
                  Singapore is 1 of the best place to learn technology in granular mode I beleive.

Regards,
                  AmeY.
                  All in 1
                  Solaris,Linux & Windows admin + networking.

Comment

Originally posted by sco1984 View Post
                    I know several genius computer techies who left school and jumped in to computers in early age and they did it. They can solve server,network related problem quicker. But sad fact is multi national companies dont hire under graduates what so ever. They just prefer to stick with candidates who have a paper with big seal of Batchlor or Masters degree.
                    The subject you study isn't so important, the point is the degree is a line on your CV that says "Yes! I have what it takes to do this and see it through to the end." And that is a quality that employers want. They want someone who has shown they have the perseverence and the discipline to see a project through to the end and be successful.
                    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
                      The subject you study isn't so important, the point is the degree is a line on your CV that says "Yes! I have what it takes to do this and see it through to the end." And that is a quality that employers want. They want someone who has shown they have the perseverence and the discipline to see a project through to the end and be successful.
                      And yet I have quite happily arranged myself into a few IT jobs now without even a sniff at a degree. It depends on your approach, and who you are, and where you aim.

Tom
                      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Totally - a degree is by no means compulsary. I think if you have it, then it can make you a more attractive candidate, but at the end of the day for a IT position they're going to be far more interested in your prior experience and your relevant qualifications.
                        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
                        X