Web Portfolio

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Web Portfolio

I find that there is tons of useful info here on this site. Looking for some advice from old head professionals that have been in the game for awhile.

I have found that it's hard to even get an employer to look at your resume if you don't have more than 2 to 3 years exp. under your belt. I took an Assoc. App. Sci. course for Software Applications and Programming, and am currently going for my Bach. in Network Communications Management.

I thought it would be a good idea to create a Portfolio website, took a screen shot of a Java program and some Course writing samples. I want to add some other stuff. I need to be able to prove to these employers that I know alot more than just fixing pc's and junk.

I have legal copies from my school of Server 2003, 2008 and some other software. I have Virtual PC 2007 for my windows machine, and Virtual PC for my Mac. I want to set up a test network with both 2003 and 2008 working with a .local domain (something simple) some admin stuff and put it in my portfolio.

What is the best way to document going through the process, doing the setup and the maintaining of a "virtual" network. I guess I got writers block

I have looked online trying to find examples and all I can find are Web Designer portfolios. Not actual Networking/ Programming portfolios. Any advice would help

Re: Web Portfolio

Originally posted by a.s.techgeek View Post
    took a screen shot of a Java program
    Even better, make the required modifications to turn the program into an applet.

I have legal copies from my school of Server 2003, 2008 and some other software.
    MSDN AA? Tis a handy resource

I want to set up a test network with both 2003 and 2008 working with a .local domain (something simple)
    As you have a Mac, using the .local domain could cause some pretty interesting quirks. I'd recommend picking a different tld - personally I use .lab for lab environments.

What is the best way to document going through the process, doing the setup and the maintaining of a "virtual" network. I guess I got writers block
    I doubt many IT professionals maintain a "portfolio" of the networks they've built, more realistically their portfolio would be the companies they've worked with etc along with appropriate evidence to support the qualifications and experience they are claiming. If you want to document what you do with your lab, start a blog on your website
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

That helps, now I actually have a starting point.

Comment

Looking for some advice from old head professionals that have been in the game for awhile.
        DISCLAIMER: I am not an old-head professional and I haven't been in the game for a while. Ignore me at will.

I have found that it's hard to even get an employer to look at your resume if you don't have more than 2 to 3 years exp. under your belt.
        Volunteer your IT services at the non-profit organization of your choice. Go to the ASPCA, Humane Society, Meals on Wheels, Homeless Mission or whatever. Everyplace on earth has computers that could be managed better. It's a stereotype, but that's only because it's mostly true, that Non-profit organizations are under staffed, under funded and sometimes under talented. I'm sure you can get into a volunteer position that would have you operating as the SysAdmin of a small (or not so small...) network. Volunteer work gains you just as much experience and is just as legitimate as salaried work. (Site Note: It might even be arguable that it gives you more experience faster compared to a salaried position because you're more likely to get larger amounts of responsibility handed to you quicker). It also looks good on a resume. Of course, It would also be nice if your volunteering could have some threads of altruism woven into it, but I digress...

I can also recommend this from personal experience. I've done a lot of volunteer IT work. It's not odd to be given an entire network to manage. You may suddenly find yourself to be the CIO, IT director, SysAdmin, Developer, Webmaster, helpdesk and bottle opener for an entire organization. Seriously.

I have legal copies from my school of Server 2003, 2008 and some other software.
        gforce mentioned MSDN. I'll mention TechNet Plus Direct. It's cheaper than MSDN (how much is MSDN, gforce? Maybe I'm thinking of the Universal edition though...) and you just download what you want. Windows for Workgroups, anyone?

I have Virtual PC 2007 for my windows machine, and Virtual PC for my Mac.
        Get VMWare Server 2.0. Get used to it becuase if you ever have to use virtualization in the Real World (TM) it will most likely be VMWare. It also might look good on a resume to be able to say "Familiar with VMWare Server 2.0 in a lab environment". For the Macs, maybe consider buying Parallels or VMWare Fusion. At one of my workplaces we used Parallels on user's Macs that must have a Windows installation as well.

I'm not entirely certain what your purpose for the documentation is. Is it for resume purposes or simply to document what it is that you're doing so that 6 months later you don't find yourself trying to untie a knot that you don't know why you tied in the first place. For pure documentation purposes, I really like using a wiki. You can use Zoho.com's free account to make a Wiki. It's not bad and has a search feature built-in. I actually use it for one worksite (a non profit that I volunteer for! ). Not to mention, it can be secured by user account and you can tell someone to get a free Zoho account and then grant them access to the wiki to see what you've documented. Zoho also has a heap of other online office tools that can come in handy. It can consolidate all of your documentation efforts under one account. Privacy concerns notwithstanding... Check it out. It may or may not be what you're after.
        Wesley David
        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
        -------------------------------
        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
        Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
        Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Originally posted by Nonapeptide View Post
          gforce mentioned MSDN. I'll mention TechNet Plus Direct. It's cheaper than MSDN (how much is MSDN, gforce? Maybe I'm thinking of the Universal edition though...) and you just download what you want. Windows for Workgroups, anyone?
          Technet and MSDN have similarities. The 'grade' of MSDN subscription that I mentioed was MSDN Academic Alliance which is free to students at participating establishments. Since he said the copies from his school are legal, then I assumed he meant MSDN AA - there is no other way of obtaining legal licences "from a school" unless they buy a retail/oem copy for you.

@ a.s.techgeek: If what you meant is that you have copies of your school's volume licenced products, then regardless of the number of seats they are licenced for, it is not legal for you to be using them.
          Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
          X