New Business Card

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Business Card

Hi folks, I'm in the process of creating a new business card and was wondering about adding the CCNA stuff to it, does anyone on the forums have an example card I could see?
    Basically I am not sure what all to include in relation to the CCNA - the logo and Cisco ID? Or just my name followed by CCNA?

Any help appreciated

Thanks
    Shane

Re: New Business Card

Hmmm I never add my certifications on my business card.
    What if you don't re-certify or you gain CCNP?
    Do you buy new business cards then?

Ps,
    Moved to Coffee lounge because this has nothing do to with certification
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Well never thought about that!
      No, I'm designing the cards from scratch, starting a new IT support business, and heard of people at least displaying the logo on the card, you think this is a good idea?
      Just wondering what others in similar situations had done...

No bother, wasn't sure if i was in the right forum, figured Certs seemed like a good place to start

Comment

I would only put a company logo on it and your contact details.
        Marcel
        Technical Consultant
        Netherlands

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE

Comment

With Microsoft certs you are allowed to use the specified logos on your business cards only for as long as you hold the cetification and you can only used the specified logos that are available through your MCP account.

I would imagine Cisco may have something similar (or not). Again as Marcel says, if you let your cert lap then you have to print new cards.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I agree with Marcel, I have seen too many cards that all kind of certs and logo's, makes for a cluttered card. Also when your company grows (or you get more certs) do you make a new card, and different logos for each employee.

Optionally, you can put them on the back of the card so the face always remains the same and the back has all the fluff.
            "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Originally posted by Lior_S View Post
              Optionally, you can put them on the back of the card so the face always remains the same and the back has all the fluff.
              And then still you need to keep your certs up-to-date.
              Personally I wouldn't do it at all.

If customers want to know what my certifications are then I would send them my resume.
              Marcel
              Technical Consultant
              Netherlands

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
                And then still you need to keep your certs up-to-date.
                Personally I wouldn't do it at all.

If customers want to know what my certifications are then I would send them my resume.
                Yes but how much does it cost to re-print 500 cards? $50? And how often do you change your certification status? I usually run out of cards long before I need to make any changes to the certifications on them.
                Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Originally posted by danielp View Post
                  And how often do you change your certification status? I usually run out of cards long before I need to make any changes to the certifications on them.
                  I think Dumber is talking from experience
                  Passing those exams is turning into a weekly affair for him.
                  Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Well from the 100 cards I had i still have about 90 left.
                    And I have those cards already for more then 2 years. Do you want to have some

In the meanwhile, I'm MCSE, MCTS, ESD etc certified. Soon I'm MCITP:EA and SA and later on I'll become a CCNA Security and then going further for CCNP and CCSP.
                    I'm not and also not my company is willing to buy new cards every time my certification list is extending
                    Marcel
                    Technical Consultant
                    Netherlands

Comment

Ok, so doesn't look like a good idea overall then!
                      I figured that I'd at least have the logo on the card, but I see your point about renewing the cert, suppose worst case it means you'll have to renew to keep the cards up to date...
                      Only just got certified, so it'll be 2.5 years til i need to renew, and yes cards aren't that expensive these days, least not over here in Ireland...
                      But thanks for the comments folks!

Shane

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
                        Hmmm I never add my certifications on my business card. What if you don't re-certify or you gain CCNP? Do you buy new business cards then?
                        Yes. Just print new cards... that's not too difficult or expensive.

I agree with Marcel, I have seen too many cards that all kind of certs and logo's, makes for a cluttered card.
                        Poor business card design doesn't convincingly vilify the entire practice of putting your qualifications on a card any more than BSoD's vilify desktop operating systems or the usefulness of personal computing.

Also when your company grows (or you get more certs) do you make a new card, and different logos for each employee.
                        Again, yes. It's the price of doing business, especially if your a self-employed consultant or a contractor.

Hmmm... I never thought about that... that's not a bad idea.

Here's my thoughts on the subject. I wouldn't expect anyone to take me seriously if I handed them a business card that said "I'm an IT professional". Who says I am? Sure, I have a reputation that precedes me (a good one, BTW ). Of course, certifications do not an IT pro make. However, I have to assure my employers and prospective customers that I have at least made the effort to learn certain vendor's systems and am interested enough in my work to seek education. (I know, certs don't precisely prove that, but they are one indicator of that fact)

You don't have to put all of your certs on your business card, just the most relevant ones. (As a side note, can you imagine what Marcel and Tom "Ossian" Jones's business cards would look like if they put all of their abbreviations on it? They'd have to offer it in paperback and sell it on Amazon) Some examples: I wouldn't mention a RHCT if I had the RHCE or an LPIC-1 if I had the LPIC-2 or a CCNP if I had a CCIE. Just put something like "MCSE, CCNA, RHCT" to give the overview of your skillset. That says "I know something about Microsoft, Cisco and Linux". If a customer needs to know more specific things, then they can call you, visit your website or ask for a resume. But you have to at least get them interested in you before they'll ask more questions of you. Certs and logos can, if properly done, be one of several important things that get people interested in you.

I don't think it's good business to not give a prospective customer some general idea of what your skillset is. Also, you don't necessarily have to reprint your business cards with every new cert you get, just the most prominent ones. For instance, I wouldn't bother mentioning my MCDST or MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician, but I would put my MCITP:EA (whenever I finish it...). However, when you do earn a significant certification, you should reprint business cards. It's the price of doing business and I don't think it's unreasonable even in today's economy (I'm trying to watch those videos Rick... seriously! ).

In closing, it all boils down to what it is that you do and what you want to project to people. If you're a contractor / consultant, you have much more of a reason to put some of your acronyms after your name on a business card. If you're a salaried employee, a business card is more of a formality. For consultants, handing someone a business card with just your name and number on it isn't going to tell them what it is you do. You won't stand out in a pile of other business cards. Someone may think to themselves "What was this guys skillset? I can't remember...". Yes, you could put a website address on it and then have your resume and/or certifications listed, but it's not reasonable in today's world to expect people to have to take a few extra steps (no matter how easy it would be) to see your qualifications. Even if your card says "I know Cisco, Juniper and Linux systems" it won't say it or try to prove it quite as convincingly as "CCNP, JNCIS, LPIC-2". So yes, I say that you should put your certs on a business card and maybe even a logo or two. Do so tastefully so that, as Lior_S pointed out, it doesn't look cluttered and icky. Get a designer; I like what I've seen of this fellow's work: http://www.plasmadesign.co.uk/businesscards.htm

Of course, this is begging to spiral down into an argument about the value of certifications and if a cert truly proves that you know what you're doing. Let's save that for another thread, okay?
                        Wesley David
                        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                        -------------------------------
                        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                        Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
                        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
                        Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Nonapeptide - If these thoughts are a penny, what kinda post is a dollar

Anyway, in my world I will only put on my card what my clients can understand.

CCNA will fly right over.
                          MSCE might hit the forehead.
                          Microsoft Certified may penetrate.

Judge your target market accordingly, and don't make yourself appear too aloof relative to the client.
                          "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Nonapeptide - If these thoughts are a penny, what kinda post is a dollar
                            For MVM's I only charge .75 cents.

Anyway, in my world I will only put on my card what my clients can understand.

Judge your target market accordingly, and don't make yourself appear too aloof relative to the client.
                            So you're saying I should remove "I iz teh Ub3r 1337 [email protected] Iz will pwn ur pr0bl3m$!!1!" from my cards?

Oh man.

P.S. Yes, that's a very good point that many folks won't have a clue what all of those acronyms mean.
                            Last edited by Nonapeptide; 1st December 2008, 20:05.
                            Wesley David
                            LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                            -------------------------------
                            Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                            Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
                            Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
                            Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Certifications won't tell a lot about your knowledge so why wouldn't you put your experience on a business card?
                              It's way more relevant then any certifications. Yes, it's fantastic to be certified but does it tell you how good he is? Maybe he just left school and was still in the learning curve.
                              Personally if the "consultant" is good and can convince me about his knowledge I know I would remember him. And with a business card it will be easier.
                              I rather would see something about his past experience then certs.

I've done my MCSE within 3 months. Does it mean that I'm good or simply a quick learner?
                              If you see my signature, what does it say to you? Yes I'm Check Point certified, Yes, I'm Microsoft certified and Yes I'm CCNA (quite a hard exam dough).
                              But what does it say to you?

I'm more impressed by skills then certifications.
                              Even an MVP won't impress me quickly unless I see some really good documents/posts/proof of skills for example Daniel, Sembee, Thomas Shinder, Jason Jones, Teiger and many many others.... (MVP's are elected and so they already has proven their skills but it's just an example)

Then I'm impressed and probably jealous

Anyhow saying that I wouldn't do it, doesn't mean you shouldn't do it.

However, Reprinting every time you got some certifications is a wast of paper.
                              Also If you got more skilled, nobody will know The business card won't update itself
                              If I give them a website with my resume they can keep track about it (See my linkedin for example)
                              Maybe I would put MVP (if I ever get so good and I mean that seriously) on my business card but this is in my opinion showing that you have the skills rather then some papers.

Also I like a clean design but that is my taste.
                              Simple, with a nice neat and clean logo.
                              If you look at my site you probably see some quite clean photographs
                              That's what I like. Putting all those logo's on it wouldn't give a cleaner design

But again, I'm not getting impressed with certifications. I'm getting impressed with true knowledge

Oh well, Probably their will be some MCT's and some fellow MCSE and CCNA certified forum members getting pissed on me
                              About 180 pages to go and then I'm going to MCITP:EA

Anyhow that's the reason for me for not putting the logos on the cards.
                              Last edited by Dumber; 1st December 2008, 23:46.
                              Marcel
                              Technical Consultant
                              Netherlands

Comment

Working...
                              X