Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microsoft does it again - AV software for free?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft does it again - AV software for free?

Microsoft kills OneCare, replaces it with freebie 'Morro' | TalkBack on ZDNet
    http://talkback.zdnet.com/5208-12691...54&start=-9994

Will the AV vendors go the way of other companies that are no longer here with us?
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Re: Microsoft does it again - AV software for free?

They made Microsoft release the 'N' flavour of Windows without WMP. It's quite surprising they didn't do the same for Windows Firewall. Maybe not IE, as most people will install a proper browser anyway, and IE is too tightly tied to the OS. Chances are the European court will be all over this.

If it's a competant product that is. Comparisons of the currently available products rates OneCare as being a ridiculously poor option.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

If you ever wanted to hear a company talk from both sides of the mouth read this

(Keep defender in mind while you read it)

Microsoft: Morro Won't Compete With Symantec, McAfee
      "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Next they should give Windows away free with the source code. I mean, think of it! A whole operating system for free and the source code too?! That's just too good to be... oh wait...

EDIT: I'm sure all of the people that payed for OneCare all this time now feel like dorks. See! It's not just Apple that overprices things and then cuts the price back after the first generation gets raked over the coals.
        Wesley David
        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
        -------------------------------
        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
        Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
        Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Originally posted by Nonapeptide View Post
          I'm sure all of the people that payed for OneCare all this time now feel like dorks. See! It's not just Apple that overprices things and then cuts the price back after the first generation gets raked over the coals.
          It's not just them. What about the people that bought VMware ESXi before it was free?

In any case, I don't know of any one single person or organization that has actually paid for OneCare, and I suspect that this was one of the reasons for them making it free in the next release.
          Cheers,

Daniel Petri
          Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
          MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Why do Microsoft keep insisting on moving away from their core business?? Surely by now they must realise that they're not very good at producing non-business orientated software!

The very last software package I would use from MS is AV.
            If the information you receive helps please let us know and leave reputation points where appropriate.

The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do. - Ted Nelson

Comment

Originally posted by g00ner View Post
              The very last software package I would use from MS is AV.
              Especially if it follows the Office principle of WYSINWYG.
              Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
                They made Microsoft release the 'N' flavour of Windows without WMP. It's quite surprising they didn't do the same for Windows Firewall. Maybe not IE, as most people will install a proper browser anyway, and IE is too tightly tied to the OS. Chances are the European court will be all over this.
                I thought the EU were investigating them over IE bundling? I might be wrong on that, but I thought that was part of why IE7 and now IE8 were much more tightly sandboxed and less integrated with the OS, aside from the obvious security benefits.

I actually use XP Edition N. I'm the only person I know who does, I always use VLC anyway.
                BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                sigpic
                Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Microsoft's response to the EU might as well be "Face, bovvered". 99.99% of people are going to be running the standard release anyway, mostly because that's what computers come with. Sure, OEMs might offer the N editions but it won't be the default option.

And why are they not after Apple for distributing iTunes with their OS?

And what's the deal with airline food?

Originally posted by BOFH
                  "Compete," I respond dubiously, "with Microsoft?"

"Yes."

"The company whose court imposed penalty which was pretty much equivalent to a slap on the bum with a rolled up newspaper?"

"Yes."

"And by Newspaper I mean PART of a newspaper - something like the 'Culture' section of "The Sun", the non-boring bits of "The Financial Times" or the non-fiction portion of a vendor's Benchmarking specs handbook?".
                  Last edited by gforceindustries; 20th November 2008, 11:23.
                  Gareth Howells

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
                    And why are they not after Apple for distributing iTunes with their OS?
                    Knowing what the EU are like I'd say it's probably in the post, right after they deal with the laws on vegetables shaped like body parts.

I have no problem with Microsoft providing these programs such as free media players, messaging apps, browsers etc. I would prefer if they were not tied into the OS so heavily or were downloadable options like Windows Defender for XP. I think the browser being tied into the OS is far worse than the bunded media player to be honest.
                    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                    sigpic
                    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Agreed. And it's not just a security thing, it's functionality too. Your browser is potentially one of the more vulnerable parts of your system. If that starts acting up, it shouldn't cripple the rest of your system.
                      Gareth Howells

Comment

Yes, agreed. After I reinstall my laptop I am going to get my daughter to teach me how to use FireFox and put IE in that little funny shaped bin with the 2 clockwise arrows on it.
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by danielp View Post
                          In any case, I don't know of any one single person or organization that has actually paid for OneCare, and I suspect that this was one of the reasons for them making it free in the next release.
                          0.8 percent of the market belonged to OneCare. So only 0.8 percent of AntiVirus users are mad at Microsoft for this.
                          Wesley David
                          LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                          Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                          Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide

Comment

I know we all like to trash onecare, however in comparisons with live viruses, it consistently has those definitions before many other larger AV Vendors. This is from my experience whenever I have to cleanup a virus that got past Trend, AVG, Symantec, etc...

Oh, and I know this from uploading to http://www.virustotal.com/. (an excellent site BTW)
                            "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

I didn't quite think of it this way, but one blogger ( Robert Vamosi at C|Net ) calls OneCare "SopranoCare":

Originally posted by Robert Vamosi
                              It's like Microsoft's saying to the customer, yeah, we wrote shoddy code, but now pay us an annual fee, and we'll protect you from viruses and other malicious code.
                              Conflict of interest, maybe? Of course I realize that it's the end-user's fault for getting fooled into installing much of the malware that exists today. Seriously now, can't we... oh wait a minute... I just got an email with a court order attached to it. I've got to go install this special viewer to see it. I'll be right back.
                              Wesley David
                              LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

Working...
                              X