Ideal Office Environment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideal Office Environment

So here I sit, in our newly refurbished open plan office. The steam heater for the factory is on the ceiling above us, right between my desk and my supervisor's desk. And it's leaking. Onto the light fittings, and onto our machines.

So I'm now huddled in the corner with a laptop, he's sitting with an umbrella over his PowerBook. And throwing a major tantrum (happens around once every couple of months).

So, how's your Monday?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Re: Ideal Office Environment

make some pics about it
    My monday... errr tired and looking forward to the weekend.
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Always need pictures
      ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Our maintenance guy was onsite at the time, he's up there now seeing to it. I've already cleared up most of the water, and if I start taking pictures of my boss throwing a wobbly, he'll stop getting me coffees

And I don't think you want a picture of the maintenance guy either - it's a British tradition that builders jeans show so much crack they have a street value.
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

It would really make my day if the Powerbook bought it. One less Apple to worry about.
          BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
          sigpic
          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

My iBook G4 is the most reliable laptop I've ever had. I just don't use it here (got a Lenovo for that) because it doesn't have the grunt to run graphically intensive Windows apps under Virtual PC for Mac.

Every 'PC' laptop I've had has failed after a year - 18 months. Usually it's the hinge that breaks. I've had a Compaq (from before the merge), a Dell, an Acer, several Toshibas and a Fujitsu. Now got the Lenovo - the build quality is by far superior to all of the others I've had. Especially the Toshibas. Cheap sh!t, that's what they are.

Ironically, we had the same problem at my mum's office last Christmas. We'd just finished several months work getting the place up to scratch and were due to open shortly after Christmas. We were just about to leave at 3am on Christmas morning after finishing painting, when I noticed water running down the wall.

The landlord had had his roof done, and they'd broken one of the roof tiles, so the rain was falling onto our ceiling.

Long story short, there was enough water to bring some of the ceiling down. It filled the wall cavity and started pouring out of the power sockets (fortunately I'd not wired those ones in yet).

Now that I *can* show you pics of, once I get home tonight to a machine with Bluetooth.

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
            My monday... errr tired and looking forward to the weekend.
            You and me both mate. Had to travel back to Wales on Saturday for my great aunt's funeral. Great day though, by funeral standards. Church was absolutely packed, gave her a proper dignified send off.
            Gareth Howells

Comment

I got in the office this morning to find the same s*** of last week allover again.
              Counting the days untill the weekend, once monday we start allover again. It is time to find a new challenge.
              [Powershell]
              Start-DayDream
              Set-Location Malibu Beach
              Get-Drink
              Lay-Back
              Start-Sleep
              Wake-Up!
              Resume-Service
              Write-Warning
              [/Powershell]

BLOG: Therealshrimp.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Killerbe View Post
                It is time to find a new challenge.
                How about Speed Scrabble?

No?

Any attractive secretaries at your office? There's always naked Twister
                Gareth Howells

Comment

My Macbook pro is also one of my most reliable computers ever.
                  Way more stable and faster then any notebook I ever used before.

Anyhow.... Back studying again (what else )
                  Marcel
                  Technical Consultant
                  Netherlands

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE

Comment

You're a Maccy too? Good stuff

My iBook G4 is 5 years old now, and other than a few scuffs on the cover it's in perfect condition. I've added extra memory (I bought a model with 256MB) but other than that it's all original hardware, and it's the original install of OS X.

And unlike Windows after 5 years, it still runs quickly
                    Gareth Howells

Comment

Of course I use a Mac too
                      Where else do you think I should edit my images on for my website

I've a dual core 2.4 Ghz with 4GB of ram (ddr2 667 Mhz).
                      At work I use a Dual core Dell notebook also with 4GB of ram. However I notice a very huge difference between those two altough my mac is almost a year older.
                      Marcel
                      Technical Consultant
                      Netherlands

Comment

One with loads of good looking women who like me.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
                          One with loads of good looking women who like me.
                          Maybe people would get into work on time if company policy required the receptionist to play naked Twister with whoever gets in first

Originally posted by Dumber
                          At work I use a Dual core Dell notebook
                          Credit where credit is due, Dell have learned to start building machines to pretty high standards. But I wouldn't get a laptop from them. Their laptops are built to the same standards that their desktops are, when realistically they could do with being made just that little bit more robust.
                          Gareth Howells

Comment

Well I've a D830 and it's pretty robust.
                            But I rather use my Mac
                            Marcel
                            Technical Consultant
                            Netherlands

Comment

Mine was an Inspiron 6000. Our server room is packed with laptop carcasses though, all Acers and Dells. The staff members with Lenovo laptops though are doing just fine, as long as Windows gets its reinstall fix.
                              Gareth Howells

Comment

Working...
                              X