Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many??? How big??!? How IMPRESSIVE??!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many??? How big??!? How IMPRESSIVE??!

18000 users
    2500 physical servers; UNIX, Linux and Windows
    25000 mailboxes
    3 forests (2 in the new environment, 4 domains in total; one in the old environment, 7 domains in total)
    640Tb of data across tier 1, 2 and 3 storage; plus another 100-200Tb of storage across various localised servers with local storage

We use MS Exchange 2003 in the current environment and Enterprise KVault for online archiving. We use IBM Tivoli Storage Management for backups. Remote users use either eGAP or an iPASS/Secure Client combo; and application sharing is achieved through Citrix PS4. We virtualise large numbers of our apps and database servers, and we have a huge Polyserve "Consolidated SQL Environment".

Firewalling is done with an ISA Server/Websense combo, then behind that we have NetCache; and finally hardware firewalling at the perimeter.

Most major sites are on the gigabit WAN; with other sites varying between 1Mbit and 20Mbit connections, mostly now provided via MPLS. Desktop connections are almost all 100Mbit.

and that's just the UK. We also have businesses across Europe and bits and bobs distributed around the world.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Re: How many??? How big??!? How IMPRESSIVE??!

The new NHS setup just down the Hammersmith Road is 300,000 users at the moment with 1 million at the end of project.
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
      The new NHS setup just down the Hammersmith Road is 300,000 users at the moment with 1 million at the end of project.
      Interesting... I think I might know who you work for if you're working on that...

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

5 users in the office
        4 users offsite
        1 Server 2003 machine in a closet
        10/100 Procurve switch
        LinkSys RV082 router
        1 small circular fan blowing on the router and switch to keep them from igniting
        1 scorpion hiding underneath some computer cables (deceased)
        1 consultant/admin trying to dig them out of a hole and move them into the 21st century from 1,000 miles away

Oh yeah. It's big. Please, no autographs.
        Wesley David
        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
        -------------------------------
        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
        Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
        Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

You get a whole closet for your servers? No wai!

Until recently, our servers were in the quality office. Why build a new room for the servers, when the system manager is also the quality supervisor? He's now moved into the open plan office, so the server room is at least relatively secure.

Not ideal though having one server stood hard up against a radiator, when theres a pair of 2kW servers in a small room. Granted, we never turn the radiator on...

So why when I got in this morning did I have 300 thermal alert emails in my inbox, why was the room hot enough to fry eggs on the outside of the door, and why did our maintenance guy turn the radiator on full blast?

Methinks he's going to become the unfortunate victim of a freak wiring mishap...
          Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Current is 14 racked servers in climate controlled fire protected electrically shielded room with 100 users. Better pay and work conditions than the last job.

Last job was 125 servers, 15000 users, multi-site hospital system...and no time for sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by mford66215 View Post
              Last job was 125 servers, 15000 users, multi-site hospital system...and no time for sleep.
              Was that an NHS setup? (assuming you're in the UK)
              Last edited by gforceindustries; 17th December 2008, 19:23.
              Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Not in the US!

Comment

Working...
                X