Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The official death of an OS (Windows 3.X)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The official death of an OS (Windows 3.X)

It looks like as from last week Microsoft has stopped issuing licenses for Windows 3.1 (No tears please).
    For some reason I thought they did that ages ago... It goes to show I haven't been keeping up to date with 3.x at all

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7707016.stm

I think It at least deserves a couple of lines since it kick-started the whole GUI OS revolution.

For the nostalgics amongst us and the ones not afraid to reveal their real ages any thoughts????
    Last edited by L4ndy; 7th November 2008, 20:46. Reason: Added link
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Re: The official death of an OS (Windows 3.X)

Originally posted by L4ndy View Post
    I think It at least deserves a couple of lines since it kick-started the whole GUI OS revolution.
    Windows 3.1 kick-started the GUI revolution? Do you remember why 1982 wasn't like 1982?
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

My first OS where I started with back in 1996 when I still went to college (or something like that)
      It was my first computer and had never used one before
      I started programming on it with Turbo Pascal7 and C++

Later I switched to windows 95
      Marcel
      Technical Consultant
      Netherlands
      http://www.phetios.com
      http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

I think I upgraded to it from dos 6.2 (or 6.1 maybe?).
        Which was upgraded from dos 5 I think.
        Windows for Workgroups, that brings back memories. File Manager was it?
        cheers
        Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

it kick-started the whole GUI OS revolution
          Not a Mac fan then?

For those who may still want to licence legacy software, if you have a volume licence for Windows Vista you can downgrade the licences as far back as Windows 1. You don't need Software Assurance.

This only applies to installing previous versions of the *same* product - you can't downgrade Vista to DOS, and you can only downgrade Vista to Windows 3.1 etc if you have a DOS licence to run it on.
          Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

It looks like as from last week Microsoft has stopped issuing licenses for Windows 3.1 (No tears please).
            For some reason I thought they did that ages ago... It goes to show I haven't been keeping up to date with 3.x at all

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7707016.stm

For the nostalgics amongst us and the ones not afraid to reveal their real ages any thoughts????
            Oh P-lease.

1. Windows 1.0, 2.0, 3.0 & 3.1/3.11 were NEVER operating systems. They were graphical interfaces on an operating system. (Ever tried running Win3.11 without DOS)
            2. The GUI, Mouse and Ethernet were invented by Xerox and "acquired" by Steve Jobs after a vist to their labs
            3. Windows 95 was the first GUI O/S for the IBM based platform and the bloatware keeps getting bigger!!
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Ahh, the days when Windows was just an app. Good times.
              Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I'm showing my antiquity here, but my first desktop PC would run either Windows 2.0 (mainly used for Reversi) and GEM (used for real applications and compatable with my home Atari ST)
                Of course, DOS for the serious stuff....

Those were the days
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                  Oh P-lease.

1. Windows 1.0, 2.0, 3.0 & 3.1/3.11 were NEVER operating systems. They were graphical interfaces on an operating system. (Ever tried running Win3.11 without DOS)
                  2. The GUI, Mouse and Ethernet were invented by Xerox and "acquired" by Steve Jobs after a vist to their labs
                  3. Windows 95 was the first GUI O/S for the IBM based platform and the bloatware keeps getting bigger!!

Firstly, I had the MS in mind when stating the first GUI, however i am showing my limitations on the OS History. I since had a look and it appears that MS was using Graphical interfaces in 1.0 etc.

Whether they were OS or not, it is debatable.
                  Also i take it you are not an MS fan (the Bloatware comment)!!
                  Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

I am not a fan of all the crap left in the O/S. Vista still has DOS 1 commands.

And just to claify, Win 3.x was NOT an operating system. The proof, get a blank HDD and try and install Windows 3.x onto it. It was as you said, a GUI.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                    X