Stupid Users

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid Users

Stupid Users. Don't you just love them? How then unknowingly have the power to turn their admin into a drooling gibbering wreck.

So, grab yourself a coffee, stick on some Johnny Cash (if you don't know which track to play, then you're really missing something there ) and let's share our horror stories

Are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin.

Story the First: The Tale of the Post-it Note Password

A few months ago, we commissioned a brand spanking new fileserver with the intention of migrating all shared data and printers over from our SBS 2003 DC. At the same time, we were going to rationalise the My Documents redirections and do away with each OU sharing a common My Documents folder.

Knowing the numerous problems we'd had before when changes to the My Documents redirection hadn't worked, we reset everybody's password to a standard combination, and for the less intellectual users we wrote the password down on a post-it note stuck on their screen.

Monday morning came, and all seemed well. Until the phone rang. One of our post-it pals wasn't able to login because his password was rejected.

Thinking that maybe I wrote down the new password incorrectly, I went up to check.

He had seen the post-it that read:

New Password:

Project.121

and had interpreted this as meaning

I have to logon with my old password and change my password to Project.121

Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Re: Stupid Users

In a similar vein:
    After a long battle with a user NOT to write their password on a post-it on the corner of the monitor, I found that they had stopped.

Instead the post-it read "Password in top desk drawer"
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      In a similar vein:

That's what you can call a "two-tier security"
      Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

I've screwed with this particular user on several occasions now, it's really quite relaxing watching his brain crap itself. He gets this sort of distant look in his eyes and he freezes up for a few seconds. Stick a console cable in his mouth and you'll probably see disk repair messages.

Story the Second: The Tale of the Bloody Antisocial Boss

When I first started, the General Manager was someone totally lacking in the social graces. He didn't talk to anybody other than by email, and even then it was only to swear at you... not out of malice, just because he didn't know any non-swear words.

On my first day when I was being shown around the office by my boss, we stopped off in the sales office adjacant to the GM's office. Suddenly he walked through the room, shaking my hand as he passed, without pausing, saying anything or making eye contact.

A few days later, he stuck his head round the door to my office, then once eye contact was established he proceeded to tell me: "My f**king." and walked out of the room.

Naturally, I interpreted this to mean "I am experiencing an issue with Internet Explorer, please could you come and have a look for me?" (well, what else would he have meant?

Turns out, I was right

He doesn't work for us anymore. Our new GM is largely based at the sister company, and spends roughly one day here every two weeks. My perfect boss

In a similar vein:
        After a long battle with a user NOT to write their password on a post-it on the corner of the monitor, I found that they had stopped.

Personally, whenever I see someone write their password on their screen (I have actually seen it written on a screen in Tippex before), I make a point of removing the screens last thing on Friday to "ensure that their performance complies with our company hardware requirements" and then putting them back at different desks. They soon learn... to write the password somewhere else instead
        Last edited by gforceindustries; 5th November 2008, 18:55.
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

When I was a teacher, I saw on-screen spelling correction with Tippex
          Fortunately in the days of CRT monitors, so a brillo pad sorted it.
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Ah, so *that's* why I put that script in NETLOGON that enables the Messenger service on my PC and a selected user's PC, sends the message "Retard" to them and then disables the services again?
            Gareth Howells

Comment

i had to setup a computer for someone who plugged phone cable in the network port and didnt know why it didnt work

Comment

Always one isn't there... "plug it into the one port it fits into... no not that one"
                Gareth Howells

Comment

Originally posted by geekchick101
                  i had to setup a computer for someone who plugged phone cable in the network port and didnt know why it didnt work
                  A USB cable into a 9 pin Serial Port also works like a dream.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                    A USB cable into a 9 pin Serial Port also works like a dream.
                    Ay? I think that one takes the prize.

I've seen an RS232 plug bodged to fit a VGA socket...

Story the Third: The Tale of the Password Expiration Policy

Most companies enfore maximum password ages. Most also enforce some form of password complexity requirements.

Little surprise then that some employees run into difficulty when choosing a new password. Two in particular that I have to share with you though.

David in stores took 18 minutes and 19 attempts.

Rob in projects though... 35 minutes and 42 attempts.

There was a crowd gathered watching over his shoulder, scared the sh!t out of him when we all started cheering at the end
                    Gareth Howells

Comment

USB into LAN works even better!
                      (and that was a support contractor)
                      The same company phoned me up -- new router, email not working.

Yup, they'd forwarded port 25 to the IP of the router
                      Tom Jones
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

Comment

I've seen someone manage to force a a pendrive into a USB socket upside down. Funnily enough, the machine didn't seem to detect it.
                        Gareth Howells

Comment

USB into LAN works even better!
                          Actually, I've done that myself as I try to stick a USB device into the side of my laptop in a dim room. It's surprising how well it fits. It only took me a few minutes to figure it out though.
                          Wesley David
                          LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                          -------------------------------
                          Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                          Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
                          Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
                          Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Yeah, USB into LAN is doable, especially as most motherboards have a pair of USB sockets under the network socket.

As my boss says (about pretty much everything): "It's an education issue". Meaning that we need to whip users with the appropriate cable until they have a <plug> shaped bruise on them, which they can match up to the appropriate socket on the machine
                            Gareth Howells

Comment

Sort of related -- has anyone else noticed the following variation on Murphy's Law:
                              "No USB device will plug into a standard socket until the third attempt"
                              and
                              "Micro USB plugs will never fit on the first attempt"
                              Tom Jones
                              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                              IT Trainer / Consultant
                              Ossian Ltd
                              Scotland

Comment

Working...
                              X