Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buy your own top level domain? Hmmm... how about .nonapeptide?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buy your own top level domain? Hmmm... how about .nonapeptide?

I'm always annoyed when I learn of something significant in the technology world from a major news source and not one of my more industry-specific sources. Imagine my annoyance when I happened to see this story on MSN.com. The topic has a mention in the Wikipedia article on Top Level Domains under the "Debated TLDs" section. Here's another article about it from CircleID.com. Apparently I was asleep at the wheel to not be privy to this until just a few minutes ago.

For some reason this annoys me. I suppose the web is all about freedom and expression and inevitably commercialization and self-promotion, but I'm still irritated by the idea. It just seems like it will be a big confusing mess for a few years at least while the big companies and governments and cities snarf up juicy domains like .apple, .cocacola, and .petri (har har).

Anyone care to add their thoughts?
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Re: Buy your own top level domain? Hmmm... how about .nonapeptide?

It's dangerous. Just anyone will be able to set up a TLD server. At the moment it's all nicely under control and I think it should stay that way.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
      Just anyone will be able to set up a TLD server.
      ... for US$200,000 ...
      Maybe the guys @ ICANN will be smart enough not to approve any TLD request... After all, when you type x.disney.com, what's the purpose of the ".com"?
      I think that especially for the big companies, that have (tens of?) thousands of hosts addresses, missing that ".com" will make the difference. From the same reason, I don't think that ".petri" is a domain we'll see in the future...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
        It's dangerous. Just anyone will be able to set up a TLD server. At the moment it's all nicely under control and I think it should stay that way.
        Holy shit, I think I have to agree.

I would however have like to have seen .sex added to the TLD. Would have made it filtering a whole lot easier.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
          I would however have like to have seen .sex added to the TLD. Would have made it filtering a whole lot easier.
          It's for that reason that I never thought a .xxx TLD would ever catch on. Why make it easier for your "business" to be blocked?
          Wesley David
          LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
          Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
          Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
            I don't think that ".petri" is a domain we'll see in the future...
            Pity. .mvp would be cool though
            Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
              Pity. .mvp would be cool though
              No, .ice would be cool. Muhahahahaha
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                No, .ice would be cool. Muhahahahaha
                Oh, I don't know.....
                How about owning the "zero.kelvin" domain
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

If someone ever registers .local, I know a few Active Directory Domains that it would be in conflict with...
                  Wesley David
                  LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

And a few sysadmins lining up to hurt them.

How many users do we have on here? If we all chip n a fiver maybe we could register it and raise some hell
                    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by Nonapeptide View Post
                      If someone ever registers .local, I know a few Active Directory Domains that it would be in conflict with...
                      Let's buy .local and .ad then sell consulting services to fix DNS issues

Edit: well yeah .ad already exists (Andorra)
                      VCP on vSphere (4), MCITP:EA/DBA, MCTS:Blahblah

Comment

Don't forget .wan . Has just been implimented into a Govt Department with over 200,000 PCs. That would upset the apple cart a bit.
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hmmm - we could have ".ker" as well...

Tom
                          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

How's your eyesight?
                            Tom Jones
                            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                            IT Trainer / Consultant
                            Ossian Ltd
                            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by gepeto View Post
                              Let's buy .local and .ad then sell consulting services to fix DNS issues

Edit: well yeah .ad already exists (Andorra)
                              If we could get .lan and .internal as well we'd be rich and control the world.
                              BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                              sigpic
                              Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X