Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

And this is why I am not an inventor (or will ever be one).

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And this is why I am not an inventor (or will ever be one).

Just read this in the local online paper and wondered why I am so amazed by this. This is a (lost for the word, incredible perhaps) story/article/advancement.....whatever.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/articl...935517579.html
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Re: And this is why I am not an inventor (or will ever be one).

A very useful application for phone-mounted GPS... a few of my mates at work have this kind of setup as well; saves having to buy a tom-tom or garmin as well as your phone. The Nokia N95 does it, the iPhone does it, the HtC range do it...

I'm only amazed that this particular application hasn't been thought up before.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

My main thought on this is what happens when they run out of power and the user is then lost? Losing the ability to memorise locations and paths (over time) may be a step backwards? (I'm not blind so these are only thoughts, no offence intended).
      cheers
      Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Maybe they are smart enough to start the day with a fully charged device or even carry a spare battery with them.

The article showed how one person found they could venture outside their normal area of memorise existence. Personally I do not see that as a step backwards but many steps forward (and round a few corners etc ).
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Oh I wasn't implying less intelligence!
          I was just thinking people may grow up not having built the mental maps of where they are etc because they rely on the device, if that makes sense?
          I think it is a great idea in general, don't get me wrong.
          cheers
          Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Chuck Norris wouldnt need GPS to find the way...... the way would find him.

Comment

This is fantastic for blind folks i reckon. This to me give them the freedom and liberty to go where they want without the need to plan things in advance. Sponaneity is the key.

Only downside is the cost to the user. Maybe the Telco companies could offer packages to blind people that would minimise this outlay for them.

Comment

Working...
              X