Totally dim people

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Totally dim people

Background: We have a site induction process whereby anyone (literally ANYONE) wanting access to the site has to view an online presentation first. It gives vital info like where the ladies' toilets are and what colour the fire alarm buttons are. So - for external people we provide a PC in the foyer of each site with a generic user name and password.

OK so here goes the conversation.

Me: Hi could I speak to Karen please?
    her: I'm sorry she's not in, can I help?
    Me: I'm looking for who owns the "Induction" service; I've been asked by an inappropriate person to reset the password.
    her: Oh yeah we look after that... what user asked you to reset whose password?
    Me: Well, some guy at a remote site wants to get one of his contractors into the site so they need to do an induction; but the user name "Induction" with the password he knows isn't working. So he asked me to reset the password. However there are several sites who use that user name and I don't want to go resetting it without central authority - which would be you.
    her: Can't the guy doing the induction use his internal user ID?
    Me: He doesn't have one, he doesn't work for us, he's a contractor who's visiting for one day.
    her: Oh, that's an issue he'll have to take up with his manager then.
    Me: He doesn't have a manager we can access; he works for an external company. I just need to know whether or not to reset this password?
    her: I think on balance he should just use his internal user name because otherwise we'll have no record of him doing it and he'd have to do it again anyway.
    Me: He doesn't have one because he doesn't work for us.
    her: Well he needs to get his manager to get him an ID, because otherwise he won't get his holiday or anything; that's HR that is.
    Me: It's OK, I've just remembered I have a bone in my toe. Thanks for all your help!
    her: Oh, OK then Seeya!
    Me: **CLICK**

Oh.... MY.... GOODNESS.

They really do pay a lot of money for not very much these days, don't they?!
    Last edited by Stonelaughter; 8th September 2008, 22:30.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Re: Totally dim people

So did you reset the password?
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Errr..... NO. LOL.

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Comment

Tresure these people, they make you feel "so special"
        [Powershell]
        Start-DayDream
        Set-Location Malibu Beach
        Get-Drink
        Lay-Back
        Start-Sleep
        Wake-Up!
        Resume-Service
        Write-Warning
        [/Powershell]

BLOG: Therealshrimp.blogspot.com

Comment

Did you phone back in teh hope that you got someone else???

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
            Did you phone back in teh hope that you got someone else???
            Unfortunately I know our Facilities department; she was the only one in that day.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
              Unfortunately I know our Facilities department; she was the only one in that day.
              Brilliant.

The scary thing is that everyone knows someone like that.

I've had many a conversation with so called experts that have ended up with them looking like prats.

Comment

And you did forget the password because???

MCITP:EST | MCTS | MCSE 2k3 | MCSA 2k3 | MCP
                A+ Core | ITIL-F

Comment

I've had many a conversation with so called experts that have ended up with them looking like prats.
                  Maybe I'm a softie, but I tend not to be too terribly harsh on folks. Maybe they had a bad day. Maybe they were up all night with sick kids. I've been the expert (as truly an expert as I know how to be) that ended up missing the obvious (the server isn't plugged in!) more than a few times. Maybe I'm dyslexic. Maybe I'm ADD. Maybe I'm a million other things. If everyone judged me by my Sr. Moments I'd be sweeping the warehouse. Fortunately I haven't bungled the backups... yet.

However, if behavior like that is the pattern and not the exception...
                  Wesley David
                  LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                  -------------------------------
                  Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                  Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
                  Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
                  Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Originally posted by Nonapeptide View Post
                    Maybe I'm a softie, but I tend not to be too terribly harsh on folks. Maybe they had a bad day. Maybe they were up all night with sick kids. I've been the expert (as truly an expert as I know how to be) that ended up missing the obvious (the server isn't plugged in!) more than a few times. Maybe I'm dyslexic. Maybe I'm ADD. Maybe I'm a million other things. If everyone judged me by my Sr. Moments I'd be sweeping the warehouse. Fortunately I haven't bungled the backups... yet.

However, if behavior like that is the pattern and not the exception...
                    We've all done that though.

I wouldn't mind sweeping a warehouse at times

Comment

We've all done that though.

I wouldn't mind sweeping a warehouse at times
                      /me hands wullieb1 a broom.

There's alot of sawdust over in the workshop. Mind the band saws. Report back to me next week.
                      Wesley David
                      LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                      -------------------------------
                      Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                      Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
                      Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
                      Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Originally posted by Nonapeptide
                        Fortunately I haven't bungled the backups... yet.
                        What's a backup? Is it sort of like a Pickup with a larger engine?
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                          What's a backup? Is it sort of like a Pickup with a larger engine?
                          I thought it was a Pickup upside down
                          Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

"Her" is correct.

Contractors still have managers internal to the company, ie. a manager that is responsible for the contractor. Contractors don't come into the company reporting to nobody and go on doing as they please.
                            VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
                            boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
                            My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by jasonboche View Post
                              "Her" is correct.

Contractors still have managers internal to the company, ie. a manager that is responsible for the contractor. Contractors don't come into the company reporting to nobody and go on doing as they please.
                              "Her" is NOT correct. Each company has its own structure. In MY company, the external contractor coming to fix some cabling for an hour STILL has to do the "Induction", but they do NOT get user IDs, they do NOT get access to our IT systems to do anything BUT the induction, and they do NOT go into our HR system.

Yes, there is someone they report to in the company; however that is merely visitor handling; nothing to do with HR, login IDs and so on.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X