Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google's foray into the web browser market

It's here!

I'm not sure if I should be excited or terrified. It's available in beta form. One more step towards the Cradle-to-Grave existence of Google. Their next project? The Google Car; it runs on paranoia. Rather ingenious considering that everyone is out to get us.

Okay, maybe that's a little over the top...
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Re: Google's foray into the web browser market

It's got some great technical aspects. Check out the comic for much more info (long read!):
    http://www.google.com/googlebooks/chrome/
    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Just installed Chrome
      WOW this is FAST.
      I never knew a web browser can render so quickly.
      and yes this is a decent machine.

I was curious about my UA:
      Here it is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US) AppleWebKit/525.13 (KHTML, like Gecko)
      Last edited by Lior_S; 2nd September 2008, 22:09.
      "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

they should be renamed "googlesoft" really
        ________
        Toyota tacoma specifications
        Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 19:25.
        Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

Originally posted by DYasny View Post
          they should be renamed "googlesoft" really
          "The Borg" would do nicely.
          Wesley David
          LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
          -------------------------------
          Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
          Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
          Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
          Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

hehe well, a good competition for MS they are
            ________
            Dodge copperhead specifications
            Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 19:26.
            Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

It is smokin fast and a welcome addition to my arsenal. I won't be dropping Firefox anytime soon but when I don't have to have an extension running I'll use Chrome.

It is much easier of the memory.

Comment

And what are they up to, you may ask, by launching such a browser? Try section 11.1 and section 11.4 of their EULA:

11. Content licence from you

11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights that you already hold in Content that you submit, post or display on or through the Services. By submitting, posting or displaying the content, you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free and non-exclusive licence to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content that you submit, post or display on or through the Services. This licence is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services.

11.4 You confirm and warrant to Google that you have all the rights, power and authority necessary to grant the above licence.

Tom
                For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Those two clauses, together, mean that you can effectively only use Chrome to view content YOU own... and by doing so, you hand over all rights to that content to Google.

Tom
                  For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
                    Those two clauses, together, mean that you can effectively only use Chrome to view content YOU own... and by doing so, you hand over all rights to that content to Google.
                    No, you're giving them rights to use content for their own promotional reasons, and you still retain full rights to your content. Either way, they're already fixing it.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...change-it.html
                    Google's Rebecca Ward, Senior Product Counsel for Google Chrome, now tells Ars Technica that the company tries to reuse these licenses as much as possible, "in order to keep things simple for our users." Ward admits that sometimes "this means that the legal terms for a specific product may include terms that don't apply well to the use of that product" and says that Google is "working quickly to remove language from Section 11 of the current Google Chrome terms of service. This change will apply retroactively to all users who have downloaded Google Chrome."

It's worth noting that the EULA is largely unenforceable because the source code of Chrome is distributed under an open license. Users could simply download the source code, compile it themselves, and use it without having to agree to Google's EULA. The terms of the BSD license under which the source code is distributed are highly permissive and impose virtually no conditions or requirements on end users.

They've already found a flaw in Chrome:
                    http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=1843
                    Last edited by Wired; 3rd September 2008, 23:35.
                    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Wired View Post
                      No, you're giving them rights to use content for their own promotional reasons, and you still retain full rights to your content. Either way, they're already fixing it.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...change-it.html

They've already found a flaw in Chrome:
                      http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=1843
                      The EULA has been changed and blamed on an oversight.

That vulnerability demo isn't working on mine. I get a warning asking where I want to save the file.

This is more a problem with personal settings on Google Chrome than that actual browser being vulnerable.

Comment

BTW, Chrome is not just a web browser, it's one of Google's first attempts at virtualizing software.

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/..._chrome_a.html
                        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

I read the Chrome was an old version of Safari that had been changed a bit.
                          1 1 was a racehorse.
                          2 2 was 1 2.
                          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                            I read the Chrome was an old version of Safari that had been changed a bit.
                            They're both based upon the same basic java engine, but there's A LOT of differences aside from that.

Comment

Originally posted by danielp View Post
                              BTW, Chrome is not just a web browser, it's one of Google's first attempts at virtualizing software.

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/..._chrome_a.html
                              How is Chrome less or more virtual then MS IE or FF?
                              MCITP:EST | MCTS | MCSE 2k3 | MCSA 2k3 | MCP
                              A+ Core | ITIL-F

Comment

Working...
                              X