Cabling; The bad and the good

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabling; The bad and the good

I recently came across a few stories about cabling jobs. Vibrant has a page devoted to bad cabling jobs. Ugh. Anyone here have any cabling nightmare stories? How did you solve them (scissors?) or did you? I pulled an all nighter cleaning up a patch panel that looked like Cousin It from the Adams family. It was rather amusing actually. We started out pulling wires just after business hours thinking that we could get it done before midnight. At midnight we wondered if we could get the cabling done before business started up in 7 hours. =) We barely made it... and the guy I was working with didn't even bother to go home. He just napped in his chair for a few minutes before getting back to work.

Anyway, here's an interesting story involving (hopefully) more organized cables. It's about the world's largest "Meet me room".

Enjoy.
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Re: Cabling; The bad and the good

I have a fair share of cleaning up bad wiring, but the worst was a relatively small job, one subnet a few switches.....and a PBX. We start tearing them out randomly, tagging just a few key connections. The PBX however cannot plug into any port, the phone extension number must match the port!!

We spent a few extra hours just plugging in a phone, calling another line, noting the extension and marking the cable. Then we had to match the extension to the office. What a mess, thankfully we had the office directory. And yes we had a few mixed up anyway.
    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Attached are pictures of a few cabling jobs that Daniel and biggles implemented.
      Attached Files
      VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
      boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
      My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

I think I lost my Ban stick in the middle photo. V e e e e e r y lucky for you.

I though the before and after photos in the above series were excellent. Amazing what a difference neat cabling makes.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

This is not cabling, this is ART!
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

The cables in the third picture are alive. I think I saw movement.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
              The cables in the third picture are alive. I think I saw movement.
              No, thats just the SysAdmin who got stuck inside.....
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

OMG!

And sometimes I think I have a hard time spending half-an-hour plugging everything back into our three servers/UPS/Tape drives LOL!

Is the third pic for real??
                A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

I'd also recommend a Flickr group called "Data Center of Shame". This one reminds me of the racks that I worked on all evening/night/morning.

A few other good Flickr groups are:

Enjoy!
                  Wesley David
                  LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                  -------------------------------
                  Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                  Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
                  Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
                  Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Amazing. Reminds me of how little I know - I would not know where to begin with most of that stuff, but it looks very cool indeed.
                    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Where to begin?
                      With a few Scissors
                      Marcel
                      Technical Consultant
                      Netherlands
                      http://www.phetios.com
                      http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

OMG!!! What a mess!!!

I share the expierence of "recabling" into the night... It always takes longer then you think...
                        Last edited by Ciro; 16th September 2008, 23:20.
                        MCITP:EST | MCTS | MCSE 2k3 | MCSA 2k3 | MCP
                        A+ Core | ITIL-F

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
                          Where to begin?
                          With a few Scissors
                          Bugger the scissors, side cutters or bolt cutters.
                          1 1 was a racehorse.
                          2 2 was 1 2.
                          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

hehehe...

being in the contract IT / managed services business we come across this all the time, and yeah for the long nights and weekend clean-ups....

worst cleanup was a NEW building where the data lines wired by a telco company, they daisy chained every single drop in each office, so 1 drop to the office then daisy chain to three other outlets in the office.

It took us a bit to figure out why every time we plugged more than one computer in in each office we would loose connectivity on the other.

complete re-wire was only solution...
                            Stacey Smith
                            Sr. Systems Engineer

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane --Samuel Clemens

Comment

In OZ you used to need a specific licence to run phone and data cables. Then some plonker decided that electricians could also run it. When I find the photos I will post them. Sparkies do a great job with power but I'm sorry, they (oh so many but not all) have no idea about data & phone requirements. Data, phone AND power laid in the same channel, not a real crash hot idea. Unfortunately no photos of that one.
                              1 1 was a racehorse.
                              2 2 was 1 2.
                              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                              X