No announcement yet.

New MP3 downloading restrictions

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New MP3 downloading restrictions

As usual the Performing Right Industry have grossly over simplified the restrictions major servers have agreed to comply regarding us downloading MP3 music on the Internet. This obviously applies to individuals downloading illegal copies of MP3 / WMA music and presumably videos.

But what about the millions of keyboard created MID files freely available, and the music or videos you can freely listen or view on many sites such as YouTube. Bear in mind for example Windows Media Player has the File / Save options allowing you to save a copy of any music, or your sound card has the options to save a copy of ANY sounds coming from your speakers. Likewise there is software freely available to save you own copy of any YouTube music video.

Re: New MP3 downloading restrictions

I presume this is related to the news that UK ISPs have reached agreements to warn users downloading illegal materials (

Probably a lot of discussion here and, Gordon, you have raised valid points, but can I remind all contributors NOT to extend this to any illegal materials etc. (i.e. talk about the rights and wrongs, but not how to do it)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Trouble is, the ISPs and the PRS/Music Industry talk about illegal downloading of MP3's - but then throttle/warn/block the downloading of ALL MP3s. It just makes no sense.

For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Moved to coffee lounge

Michael Armstrong
        MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **