Whats in your system tray?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats in your system tray?

Yikes i thought when i restarted my (home) PC and saw a million items in my systray!

VPN Status
    MSN Messenger
    LAN Status
    Sophos InterCheck Client
    Bluetooth
    Sophos Remote Update Util
    Microsoft AntiSpyware
    Sygate Personal Firewall
    Active Sync
    VMWare Bridged Network Status
    Virtual Daemon (Virtual CD Drive)
    QuickTime
    SoundMax (Soundcard app)
    Volume Control
    WindowBlinds
    VNC Server
    ....and finally.... the time!
    Server 2000 MCP
    Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

I run a lean configuration...

Outlook 2003 (minimized to tray)
    Trillian 3 Pro
    Symantec AV Corporate Edition

---

Things I frequently run that like to hide in the tray but I later kill...

Cisco VPN client
    SonicWall VPN client
    Tight VNC Client
    Spyware Tools etc.

I run a workstation (it looks like you have a laptop) so I have considerably less. My laptop on the other hand has more stuff but not nearly as much as you.

You should look into Real and Quicktime alternative. The official versions of Real and Quicktime players like to take over your machine. The alternative versions are less invasive.
    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Its actually my main home PC (where i play most of my games) but as im lazy with it i dont kill off much. My laptop is my lean machine, i like to format it once every 5 or so months. (At the moment it has VPN, LAN Status, Volume and Wireless status... thats it).

My work PC is the on i HAVE to keep lean as im running a Celeron 800! 512mb RAM though but its like a dog, and I have to run Virtual PC on that for testing! My new PC arrives in the summer (hopefully!)
      Server 2000 MCP
      Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

Comment

If you could just tell me where the system tray is...

(well... it's just a lousy excuse to test thumbnails module I have enabled)
        Attached Files
        Guy Teverovsky
        "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Re: Whats in your system tray?

Originally posted by tonyyeb
          Yikes i thought when i restarted my (home) PC and saw a million items in my systray!

MSN Messenger
          Bluetooth
          VNC Server
          There is a few 'open holes' in your system if you have those in your system

In my system Tray:

Phone Manager Pro (Avaya Software to control the phone)
          Java
          Mozilla
          Outlook
          Pattern (Trend Micro AV)
          Network Connection
          Winzip
          Norton Ghost
          Qucik Time
          USB Hardware Removal
          VNC Server (PC Anywhere, no Real VNC)

I am also using a Hardware Firewall to my SBS, and Software firewall from the SBS to the rest of the PC's.

I tend not to use Microsoft software where possible, because I have found it contains spy ware and other nasties, but Ad-Aware and Spybot remove these fairly nicely in the software I use.

Why Mozilla: Noticed how IE and Mozilla are 'compatible', but you can specifically program for each broswer, most virus programmers use mozilla, and program their nasties for IE, so I stay away from IE, which lessons the risk of stumbling across a nasty.

B.

Comment

Re: Whats in your system tray?

Originally posted by Mazda_brian
            Originally posted by tonyyeb

MSN Messenger
            Bluetooth
            VNC Server
            There is a few 'open holes' in your system if you have those in your system
            Like all good network admins i have taken a few precautions: VNC only accepts request from my laptops MAC address, Bluetooth is enabled on demand and hey everyone uses MSN Messenger!

In my system Tray:

Phone Manager Pro (Avaya Software to control the phone)
            Java
            Mozilla
            Outlook
            Pattern (Trend Micro AV)
            Network Connection
            Winzip
            Norton Ghost
            Qucik Time
            USB Hardware Removal
            VNC Server (PC Anywhere, no Real VNC)

I am also using a Hardware Firewall to my SBS, and Software firewall from the SBS to the rest of the PC's.
            Well this is my home system hence no hardware firewall but i do use a router with all port forwarding turned off. At work we use two Cisco PIX's (active/passive failover).

I tend not to use Microsoft software where possible, because I have found it contains spy ware and other nasties, but Ad-Aware and Spybot remove these fairly nicely in the software I use.
            Wooah!? Which Microsoft product contains spyware??? I'm not aware of any
            Server 2000 MCP

Comment

See if you get mine:
              Attached Files
              Cheers,

Daniel Petri
              Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
              MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

ATnotes
                Volume
                ZoneAlarm (soon to be ditched for Kerio or another firewall - any advice?)
                On AC Power (or battery)
                tiscali 2.2 Mbps
                safely remove hardware (= USB DSL modem)
                Local Area Connection A network cable is unplugged (changes into 'connected' when I use my NIC)

and when I start them:

MSN Messenger (well, a modified version without ads)
                Web2Pop
                KCeasy
                Shareaza
                WinAmp
                WebWasher (are there ad banners on this site? I never see any : )
                DVD Region-Free

Here's a screenshot: http://home.deds.nl/~rogier/desktop080305.jpg (warning! don't click if you're under 16)
                make xp behave:

Comment

My primary Windows PC at work

Outlook
                  SIM (OpenSource IM application)
                  IM2 (Need to get rid of this one)
                  Maxthon (for sites requiring IE, FireFox is primary browser)
                  JetBrains Omea (RSS reader - free and one of the best I have tested)
                  Sygate firewall (we have both personal and network firewalls deployed)
                  PCCOE (In-house application deployment app - if I tell you what it does, I'll have to shoot you )
                  jetToolBar (replacement for Office 2000 toolbar, which is not part of Office 2003)
                  WinZip
                  MSN
                  OneNote
                  LAN status
                  Compaq Insight Agent
                  Daemon tools
                  Attached Files
                  Guy Teverovsky
                  "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

eMule
                    Msn messenger