AMD or Intel?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD or Intel?

Just thought I'd like to see what the overall opinion for this subject that is: which do you prefer/like? I know Intel has stolen the crown in recent years but I would like to take into consideration all eras of processing.

For me it has to be AMD and thier Athlon series.
    AMD - From 0 to hero!
    60.00%
    Intel - Corporate giant always has the edge!
    40.00%

Re: AMD or Intel?

Currently I'm hooked on AMD for budget reasons.

However, don't the new Opterons use less power and throw off less heat than comparable Xeons? From a consumer point of view, I recall that people liked to buy AMD because after a rousing game of [Insert 3D game of choice] you could make s'mores over the heat sink.

Hmmm... time for me to !
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Yeah AMD won a lot of hearts at that time! I know what you mean, cause mines ran at bout 60C on load lol.

Comment

IMHO, its horses for courses and neither is the "best"
        For cheap workstations (and some very cheap servers), AMD is perfectly acceptable, and delivers a pretty good "bang for your buck" with both processors and MoBo's seeming considerably cheaper. For higher end, I have a preference for Intel but expect to pay a fair premium for similar performance.

So, my vote is "either or both, depending on circumstance"
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Intel for me although I have to admit I have never tried an AMD based server.
          cheers
          Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

The question, as it is asked, cannot be answered seriously. Everything in your computer equipment (and it does not matter if it's a workstation, a server, some storage or networking) should be fit to your specific needs and/or any other restrictions (like manpower, budget and so on).
            Unless you want a generic answer like "Yes"...
            AMD existence in the CPU market was a good thing for the users. The competition it gave Intel both lowered the prices and motivated them to work harder for better, faster and power-saving CPUs.
            At first, AMD and Intel were really head-to-head, with each of them in the first place at few months interval. Lately though, AMD does not have answers to Intel's new line of processors, especially for the high-end usage (like servers). I had an article somewhere from some guy from AMD that recognized that, I'll try to find it and post it.
            That's my point of view, anyway.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
            -

Comment

Quoth Ossian:
              For cheap workstations (and some very cheap servers), AMD is perfectly acceptable,
              Quoth Sorinso:
              Lately though, AMD does not have answers to Intel's new line of processors, especially for the high-end usage (like servers).
              Interesting to hear that. I was under the impression that the new dual and quad core Opterons were quite good in high performance applications. Anyone have reports to the contrary?
              Wesley David
              LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
              Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
              Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide

Comment

Take a look at these articles. Although the article I was talking about earlier is not in there ... I'll keep looking ...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                -

Comment

I have used both and both worked to my expectations

Comment

Here's a rather long article from late last year about the situation. The article is too complex to summarize... but I'll try anyway. =) In most cases, the Xeon edges out the Opteron, but in some instances the 2.5GHz Opteron can keep pace wth the 3GHz Xeon.

http://www.anandtech.com/IT/showdoc.aspx?i=3162

I'd still like some more recent data though. =|
                    Wesley David
                    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

Yeah I understand where your all coming from that it depends on your budget and all sort of other constraints along with what you want the server/workstation to be doing.

But in the end I think everyone has a [slight?] preference to a company and their products. Be it setimental or just pure fanatisism!

Comment

Intel All The Way.....AMD vs Intel (YouTube)
                        Last edited by John2008; 22nd June 2008, 15:28.

Comment

yeah, AMD are the best, there cheaper than Intel and better too, because in my opinion, all Core 2 Duos are, are 2 Pentium 4s stuck together with...well... sellotape really, in a none bias way though, AMDs are better at running games and things on high quality and surf the net faster it seems, however, there quad - core phenoms have problems with there L2 cache, whereas the intel ones do not. Also, Intels better for video editing and playing games on low quality, thus making them better for lower power computers, as i have both an Intel computer and an AMD computer, i would say that there isnt that much difference, but, AMDs are a lot cheaper for what your getting, as long as its not a quad core phenom, otherwise Intels better, but theres not much difference really, so if people like AMD they like AMD, if people like intel, they like intel, honestly, he only difference really is the name thats on the front of the computer...
                          MY COMPUTER SPECS:
                          Laptop:
                          1.6GHz Intel Celeron, Overclocked to 2GHz
                          1GB RAM
                          40GB HDD
                          128MB Intel Graphics
                          3x USBs
                          Desktop:
                          3GHz AMD Phenom x3 (overclocked)
                          4GB RAM
                          2X 500GB HDDs
                          a 512MB ATi Radeon of some description (cant remember lol)
                          X - Fi Soundblaster pro sound card
                          5X Cold Cathode Case Lights
                          12X USBs

Comment

I voted AMD, but that's one that needs qualification.

I'd probably pick Intel chips for a server, at least until the latest AMDs have been out for a while and reports are in.

However, when it comes to desktops and notebooks, I'm more in the AMD camp. That's more to do with chipset and motherboard options though. I don't like how so many Intel boards come with Intel chipsets now, and I particularly don't like Intel onboard graphics and their refusal to allow you to dedicate RAM in the BIOS. I know there are options with Intel chips, there just don't seem to be as many to me.

That and being a tightfisted Scotsman AMD chips have historically been cheaper.
                            BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                            sigpic
                            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Nothing but Intel here! i have been using it since i started using PC's not that AMD was around then. I had several friends that went the AMD route because they are cheaper. You get what you pay for.

Comment

Working...
                              X