• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Networking - Professions / Job Titles

Hello Everybody!

Once again , A n00b subject for ya.
    but i find this intresting, so i will be happy
    if you can spare some of your knowledge here.

It seems that networking jobs are splitted through varied professions.
    all offcourse based on the diffrent stages of the OSI model.

but what is really the top?

what im trying to figure out is, what are the TOP JOBS of networking.
    which JOBS TITLES are the highest one`s in networking industry?

also, which are the top companies (especiallly in israel),
    that implent new networks in new businesses and organizations.

my ambition in the future is to be involved with those companies
    as i take great time on studyng networks nowdays.

thanks in advance everyone, have good week!

Re: Networking - Professions / Job Titles

I think this topic should be moved..

Ontopic:
    Depends what you want. Becoming a CCIE is always good
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Moved to coffee lounge

Michael
      Michael Armstrong
      www.m80arm.co.uk
      MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Top job title is "consultant" as far as I can tell, every time. However some people call themselves a "Consultant" when they're barely at "Analyst" level. If they call themselves a consultant and nobody you speak to has ever heard of them, be suspicious LOL.

Any higher than a senior consultant and you're talking sales exec or post-sales tech support exec for a large corp - i.e. the job moves away from the technical and into the realms of "doing business" and "generating revenue".

Tom
        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Asking about job titles in the IT industry is a sure way to get yourself confused. Many times an IT person gets a title that doesn't quite describe what they do. There's very little industry consensus about job titles once you get into a specific part of IT.

You've basically got about 4 major parts of IT:
          1. Help Desk
          2. Admins
          3. Developers
          4. Leadership

Help Desk can break down into various tiers like call center and desktop support. Want to start in IT? You're gonna have to pay some dues in help desk. That's not necessarily a bad thing, even though it can be mind numbing. Do a year or two there and you'll be a better admin. You'll know what users do and want and be better able to support your customer in the future. Oh, and get used to thinking of users as customers.

Admins split off into a few areas as well. You've got your system admins, network admins, and database admins. In small companies, one guy does it all. In medium sized companies I think the first to split off is usually the DBA (database admin). In large companies and MNEs (multinational enterprises) you can have dozens or more people acting as one of those type of admins. Network engineer will splinter off into "Routing Admin(s)" or "Switching Admin(s), etc. etc.. SysAdmins will split into "Unix Admin(s)". "Windows Admin", "IIS Admin", etc. etc..

Developers are a different breed. You'll have to find a developer forum to ask about them.

Leadership includes IT manager, director, and CIO. CIO is of course the upper tier. You should have a significant amount of experience in both IT and business to even think about this job. Also, find a good ulcer doctor. At least you won't have to worry about paying the doctor bills though since the position usually comes with a significant paycheck.

On the surface, consultants get an absurd paycheck, but once you realize that they have to pay for their own health insurance (at least in America), pay business insurance, pay salaries for any employees / sub-contracts, building leases (if you have an office) then it doesn't sound so bad. Security consultants are one of the highest paid consultants. Consultants that work on ancient systems are probably top paid. Ive heard of $1,000 an hour price tags for some legacy equipment consultants.

Start small, pay attention to everything, be nice, and you're natural talents will shine. Those things that your not good in... well... do them anyway and build some character. =)

Last edited by Nonapeptide; 2nd June 2008, 14:08.
          Wesley David
          LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
          -------------------------------
          Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
          Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
          Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
          Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

hehe , wow im impressed with your post!

im soon going to start working on a school. they have a network i will be learning about and working with , also they have TERMINAL SERVER , i guess i can achieve some experience in that there.

same time taken MCSE course/exams.
            i hope this will upgrade all my network experience.

im actually moving to another city, another area even.
            in order to start doing all that.

wish me luck!

Comment

$1K/hour ??? So I'll be damned...

Well... nothing new about the fact that I am being sold cheap.
              Frankly, over here in Israel, I have not heard about a consultant going over $250/hour (application DBA and AS400).
              In MS field, the top ones are charging below $100/hour and only MS crosses the $100 barrier (quite significantly).
              Guy Teverovsky
              "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Originally posted by guyt View Post
                $1K/hour ???
                If I'm remembering correctly is was an old Mesa Systems green screen monster. When that thing goes down, the factory loses multiple millions of US dollars an hour. So paying $1K an hour plus travel expenses is rather cheap.

Frankly, over here in Israel, I have not heard about a consultant going over $250/hour
                $250 USD is about the normal limit in the US. It's usually the cream of the security analyst crop that charges that much and maybe a little bit more.

DeepN3lue said:
                im soon going to start working on a school. they have a network i will be learning about and working with , also they have TERMINAL SERVER , i guess i can achieve some experience in that there.

same time taken MCSE course/exams.
                i hope this will upgrade all my network experience.

im actually moving to another city, another area even.
                in order to start doing all that.
                Any experience is good experience. Learning subject matter for a certification is also a good way to assimilate information that you wouldn't come across in your daily routine. E.g. If you're a Windows admin, but want to know networking stuff but don't have the ability to work on networking projects, grab some gear and some books and study for a networking cert. Then the boss might give you a project that involves networking. =)

Wow! You're actually thinking about moving to another place for all of this? I didn't know that Israel's IT jobs were so hard to get into.

Stick around and keep us posted.
                Wesley David
                LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                -------------------------------
                Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
                Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
                Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Originally posted by Nonapeptide View Post
                  Wow! You're actually thinking about moving to another place for all of this? I didn't know that Israel's IT jobs were so hard to get into.
                  Take into account that it takes about 5-6 hours in a car to cross the whole country from north to south

Over here "moving" is usually about 100-200km

Driving more than 45 minutes (not including traffic jams that are quite an issue in the center area) is considered too much.
                  Guy Teverovsky
                  "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Working...
                  X