Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Talk

Hi Guys,

Geeze it's hard to work out if I am a car enthusiast or not, I mean it's not like my name gives it away or anything....

/sarcasm off

Anyway, I am looking into Turbocharging options, I have a 2 litre, 4 cyl Mazda 626 sports hatch, at the moment it's got good compression, and decent power, it's had the heads shaved by the previous owner, but I want to install a turbo charging kit, and give it that massive advantage

Question is, should I save 5 grand and blow it on a turbo kit and be done with it, or would you reckon saving up 10 grand and also getting all the internals changed, and balanced to the point where redline will move from 6,500rpm to 9,000rpm would be a better option (the timeframe for dosh will be 6 months for turbo only, but 15 - 18 months for turbo and engine blue-printing).

B.

I own a 626 myself, model 99, first hand owner. Nice car, but I wouldn't spend that money on turbo charging it, unless you have a pretyy good reason for doing so.

Do you?
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

I'd save the money.

Daniel, a lot of car enthusiats spend tons of money supping up a less than spectacular car for no good reason. Like a turbo in a Mazda 626, perfect example.
      Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

To increase performance, close all your windows, stop the engine, restart the engine and then reopen your windows. This makes my computer go faster so it may work car.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

hehe, love that reply biggles.

In answer to the questions, my car isn't a "super machine", but I do spend about 12 hrs a day in the car, and 5 in the office, which leaves only 7 for sleeping, so I spend that majority of my time in the car, and thus I want to get some performance, and also some comfort from it.

B.

Comment

Well my Vauxhall Corsa (or Opel Corsa to you mainland europeans) is the slowest thing ive driven!! And i've driver an Austin Rover Maesto!!
            Server 2000 MCP
            Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Hehe, the time came, and Now I have turbo power....

I traded my Mazda 626 for a Nissan 180sx Turbocharged sports car.

My theory was when you install heaps of software, your computer starts to screw up, so when you install heaps of Mods on a car, it's probably gunna be the same.

The car is stock standard as was released from Nissan, so it's like a freshly installed computer, with only the Service pack (wheels) installed.

Now I need to install the stereo (Windows Media player V10), and Office package (my 240v inverter, laptop, and printer).

I might also put anti-glare on the screen (tint the windows), but I need to wait until my funds replenish first

B.

Comment

What year is the Nissan? 180SX must be an overseas model I've never seen it here.
                Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by Mazda_brian
                  Hehe, the time came, and Now I have turbo power....

I traded my Mazda 626 for a Nissan 180sx Turbocharged sports car.

My theory was when you install heaps of software, your computer starts to screw up, so when you install heaps of Mods on a car, it's probably gunna be the same.

The car is stock standard as was released from Nissan, so it's like a freshly installed computer, with only the Service pack (wheels) installed.

Now I need to install the stereo (Windows Media player V10), and Office package (my 240v inverter, laptop, and printer).

I might also put anti-glare on the screen (tint the windows), but I need to wait until my funds replenish first

B.
                  I had my car seviced yesterday and whilst that was in i had a new corsa 1.2 sxi on hire which flew in comparison (but it still aint gunna set any land speed records!!). Its has got me thinking, i can trade upto an SXI and get all the extras and have a sportyer engine for little over 1,000. My girlfriend has even approved it so i think i should go for it!!
                  Server 2000 MCP
                  Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

Comment

Andrew,

You would know the car in the USA as a 240sx, my car is a 1989 model, and is only a 1.8 litre turbo, but we also have the 2 litre turbo in Aus.

In the States, Nissan only released the 240sx and 240sx turbo, these both had bigger engines (cause that's what the Americans like).

My car is awesome, but needs a little attention in regards to fuel efficiency, it's currently using 65 litres for 500kms on the country trips, and 65 litres to 250kms for city driving, it's using more fuel than your average Australia V8.

B.

Comment

Brian, do we change your nick to Nissan_Brian now?

Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Petri (Mitsu)
                        Brian, do we change your nick to Nissan_Brian now?

LOL
                        Andrew

Comment

hehe, nah, change it to "turbo"

This used to be my old nick when I had the Cordia turbo, but that was left alone because I was forced back to a naturally aspirated car, but now it can come back into play again

B.

Comment

Well im a step closer to buying a 'new' car. The Rover Mini Cooper 1275 ive got my eye on could soon be mine. Got approval (again!) from my other half and it could be on its way to the tonyyeb household!! Woop woop!
                            Server 2000 MCP

Comment

I always thought a Mini Cooper was a dwarf who made barrels.
                              1 1 was a racehorse.
                              2 2 was 1 2.
                              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                              X