Secret knowledge...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Secret knowledge...

A short story I found funny (but very sad, thinking of how true it is) on one of the blogs of ITToolbox :

One day, the Server Team intern went to the Help Desk Samurai for advice.

"I have watched you work with our users" the intern told the Samurai, "and have never seen anyone better at helping people solve computer problems. You must have a secret. Where did you get this knowledge from?"

The Samurai reached into a pocket of his robe and drew out a USB thumb drive. Handing it to the intern, he said "Take this USB drive, and meditate upon its contents. Once you have truly understood what it contains, you will have the same knowledge as I."

The intern eagerly took the USB drive and went to study. However, two days later he returned to the Samurai, downcast and frustrated.

"I have looked through this USB drive a dozen times!" he blurted out, "and I have found nothing except a recipe for chocolate chip cookies and two text files with some jokes in them!"

"And?..." asked the Samurai, his eyebrows raised.

"And? And what?!" the intern moaned. "You said that the secret knowledge to help people with computer problems was on this USB drive. But there isn't a single thing about computers!"

The Samurai continued to look at the intern...

A gr8 day to us all!! And God praise the support teams all around the world !

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Re: Secret knowledge...

How utterly true that is. I can't count the number of times customers get frustrated with computer faults and my first most important job is to calm them down and reassure them they are being looked after.

Sadly, many clients judge our staff on their personalities, not on their technical ability. So yes, Sorin, it's a salutory lesson that being a good support guy is often not about computers, at all!
    Best wishes,
    PaulH.
    MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

I have told many juniors that this (working in schools) is a PR job. Half my time is spent walking into classrooms (and no, I do NOT walk INto them) and asking if anything needs fixing even when I know it doesn't.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

That's even more true when working with clients. The mere fact that your onsite and walking around raises your profile a hell of a lot

Michael
        Michael Armstrong
        www.m80arm.co.uk
        MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Also talking too the client and not at or down to them helps. You need tolearn how to "stroke" so it is not obvious you are doing it. Raises their confidence and their appreciation of you. Geek speak is a definate no no!!
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Yep, Biggles, that's spot on. And anyway, nobody need know anything about computers cos you just Google it and get the answer that way
            Best wishes,
            PaulH.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulH View Post
              you just Google it and get the answer that way
              Or, as the wise say: UTFSE
              But if you're already going that way, my dear Paul, don't forget that searching the right string is not such an easy task... Like asking the right question gets you 80% closer to the right answer

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
              -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
                ... Like asking the right question gets you 80% closer to the right answer
                I find that when I compose a question for this forum, I try to do so in such a way as to include just the right amount of info phrased in just the right way, and what happens is the light bulb goes on, and I realise the answer for myself and cancel the question! This has happened more than once, amazing.

It's sad that something like 99.9% of all google searches are just one word. It makes me weep for the intellectual vigour of my fellow man.

'Course, Vulcans don't have that problem with their mind-merge thought-recognition quantum-engined search tools imbedded in the earlobes.
                Best wishes,
                PaulH.

Comment

How utterly true that is. I can't count the number of times customers get frustrated with computer faults and my first most important job is to calm them down and reassure them they are being looked after.

Sadly, many clients judge our staff on their personalities, not on their technical ability. So yes, Sorin, it's a salutory lesson that being a good support guy is often not about computers, at all!
                  Agreed. Talked w/ some lady in one of our offices yesterday, and she made some stupid joke, and I didn't laugh. She said something to someone in the background (knowing full well that I could hear her, she said so), to the effect of that the tech dept were grumpy or rude or something. Are we always polite, curteous, helpful, etc? Yep. Then she said the whole office drinks at work... Yeah, I DO believe them lol!

Not my f'ing job to laugh at your shitty jokes lady.
                  ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

'Course, Vulcans don't have that problem.

Sometimes I feel I'm not Vulcan enough
                    Originally posted by Wired View Post
                    Not my f'ing job to laugh at your shitty jokes lady
                    No, it's not... Nonetheless, there are always those who will consider you a snob for not joining them in a stupid thing (doesn't matter if that's a joke or a mischief).
                    But that's another situation. Anyone who provides a service to any kind of public (customers) must have that capability of empathy and to absorb the customer's unpleasant behavior. Why? Because s/he is the customer!
                    My first (unpleasant) encounter with such a customer was more than 11 years ago, few months after I started working for the University. There was this angry student, that could not print his text file. After few minutes of trying to load his file from the 5'4 floppy, I told him the floppy is ruined and there's no way to do it. He started shouting at me, and in the end he said: "You have to do it! You are here to serve me!" I looked at him speechless for few seconds, and then I said: "Excuse me, I am here to give you assistance, not to serve you !" I turned around and left.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

True, but when she's interrupting me when I'm asking her troubleshooting questions, or working on something on her computer, I just don't care. If you want the PC fixed, stop interrupting me. They whine about how valuable their time is, and what, ours isn't?!?!

BOFH for the win

http://www.theregister.co.uk/odds/bofh/
                      ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                      X