Sms 2003

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sms 2003

Well, I've done the intro today on Microsoft's 5-day 2596 course (Managing SMS2003). What a bloody awful product. I think a product written by another vendor (Novell maybe - or Apple) would be better integrated into AD.

In fact, I think a product written by a 58 year-old builder p!ssed up on lager would be better integrated into AD. Great ideas on functionality - but execution SERIOUSLY sucks. Microsoft had a fantastic opportunity with the 2003 product to break away from the mould set by 2.0, and to really integrate SMS properly with Windows Server 2003 and Active Directory. They missed the boat. There are so many things that could have been done better that I can't think of anything that has been done well.

Oh well, at least I know that in my organisation, it needs lots of supporting - which means I'm kept in a job.

Cheers

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Re: Sms 2003

SMS requires dedicated support staff. If you are already working 40 hours per week, good luck and I hope you are paid hourly. The local pub will become your friend, if you ever have time to go there any more.
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Well, as it happens, we have an Application Deployment team who package and deploy apps via SMS, we have a Desktop Engineering team who manage SMS for the most part, and we also have myself and one of my colleagues in the Windows Infrastructure team who will support the SMS infrastructure - i.e. break-fix. I'm looking forward to having lots to do.

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Comment

I heard a rumor that SMS 2003 ships with a new version of Network Monitor (full version). Any truth to this that you know of?

Jas
        VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+

Comment

Well, ever since SMS 1.2 that I know of, the "Full" version of network monitor (which allows promiscuous mode) has shipped with SMS. Apparently now, if you select "Network Monitoring" in Add/Remove Programs (Windows Components) and the SMS Client is already installed, you get this "Full" version. As far as I'm aware, it's only the "full version" of the product you see when you do this WITHOUT the SMS Client - but I could be wrong. Not sure if it's a "Lots of bells and whistles" thing, or if it's just the ordinary network monitor plus promiscuity. I'll probably know more near the end of the week... we're covering the whole product suite in 5 days FFS.

Tom

Comment

Now that you can get Netmon 3 for free from Microsoft there's no more need for the SMS version of Netmon, not to mention 3rd party freebies such as Wireshark.

I am actually sitting in the same class myself this week, in a different part of the globe...
            Cheers,

Daniel Petri
            Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
            MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Cool!

Tom

Comment

I went and grabbed the latest version of Network Monitor from the SMS 2003 SP1 CD. It's only a point release better than the SMS 2.0 version that I've been using since about year 2000.

SMS 2.x = Netmon 2.0
                SMS 2003 = Netmon 2.1

I'll have to check out this Netmon version 3 you guys are speaking of.

Thanks,
                Jas

Comment

Originally posted by danielp View Post
                  Now that you can get Netmon 3 for free from Microsoft there's no more need for the SMS version of Netmon, not to mention 3rd party freebies such as Wireshark.

I am actually sitting in the same class myself this week, in a different part of the globe...
                  Ok, Network Monitor 3 got a face lift. Visually some things look better. I like the conversations.

However it looks like the experts and find routers funcitons got stripped out. Also, I don't see the bandwidth measurement tool where it measures bytes per second. The filtering mechanism looks like it's totally command line driven.

I would have to say that this new version totally sucks.

Back to the SMS version. Thankfully this new version doesn't uninstall the old version.
                  Last edited by jasonboche; 1st May 2007, 04:17.

Comment

Originally posted by danielp View Post
                    Must be a bloody big classroom.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I can't see the screen from here; obviously Daniel's sat at the front and me at the back. The instructor is speaking Hebrew as well which isn't a great deal of use to me.

Tom

Comment

LOL, look at what I found...
                        Attached Files
                        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

LOL that looks like an SMS2.0 screen... certainly haven't seen THAT screen on my course...

Tom

Comment

Actually it's SMS2003... Module 11...
                            Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                            MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Ahh. We're doing Module 11 later this afternoon I think. Or maybe tomorrow morning.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X